Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.0.1

Senior Member registered user

Harry, here's how I burned the dvd

Harry, I have the same setup as you in that my dvd burner is hung on my xp laptop. Here's what worked for me.
    1. Downloaded to my old Debian machine. I used wget from one of the mirrors, but don't get mad.
    2. Booted same machine with knoppix 4.02 cd. Did this because samba much easier to start than with old Debian.
    3. Copied 5.01 DVD iso to shared folder on xp machine via samba.
    4. Burned DVD on xp machine.

Hope this workes for you.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Harry, here's how I burned the dvd

Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    Harry, I have the same setup as you .....
    Thanks for the info, but my setup is different in that my DVD burner is on a desktop with Win98 and only FAT partitions. If it was on an XP system I don't think I would hav a problem.

I did get the ISO on a NTFS partition on a firewire external drive on my XP notebook and try to see if I could burn the ISO to DVD across the network and through the firewire. But Win98 would just not see the over 4 gig file and wanted to write 50 megs to the optical media as it's "burn". Yet to try, but on a long "to do list", is fire up Knoppix on that Desktop and see if it can burn the iso from across the network and through the firewire off the XP system. Not having anything but FAT partitions on the desktop, that seems the next step. But I have never even confirmed that Knoppix can burn to this DVD burner, so there are several places when this could fail.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Member registered user
    What's the problem with just resizing the partitions on the Windows machine and installing Linux there, so that you can directly use the DVD burner from Linux? Or just chunk in a hard drive you scavenge from somewhere, if you don't want to resize partitions. That seems a lot easier. Too much messing around with Windows is not good for productivity.

Re: Regarding the 47 Mb file

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottknl
    (bittorrent is too slow for me)
    I think you may have helped convince some people that it can be an application issue, not just a psrtition issue. But as to BitTorent, my experience is just the opposite; it is much faster than any of the mirrors for me. And I have a friend with a high speed pipe who got the CD on Monday in just 20 minutes on BitTorrent (and he was behind a university firewall). BT is only slow if you don't configure the firewalls properly.

Does anybody know how to create a torrent seed from an ftp iso image at another site?
    Am I dreaming or is it as simple as this to start a new torrent seed when someone wants to download from an ftp site?
    If someone knows how to do it with Azureus, please, describe it clearly so that everybody could make torrent seeds.
    The Spanish distribution is never seeded, but always has an ftp download. (what a shame)

Quote Originally Posted by chanio
    The Spanish distribution is never seeded, but always has an ftp download
    I only know of two official versions. The DE and the EN. If you are downloading a Spanish version, it must be a re-mastered disk.

I don't think you can just create a torrent from someone's FTP site. You would probably need to have access to the file and permissions on the server. You can start one locally from your own machine or server. I haven't tried to do one from an FTP Mirror, so I can't be absolutely sure, but it does not sound likely.

Member registered user
    Based on Knoppix 5.01 and Kanotix

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...175a5fd089d6e4

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 5.0.1 as a Windows screensaver

If you go here you will find Knoppix 5.0.1 set up as a screensaver for Microsoft Windows. No guarantee that it will save your screen, of course !
    Direct BitTorrrent link is here
    and screenshot is here

There's loads more of all sorts of Linuxes at LinuxTracker

Member registered user

Is it really safe to write to NTFS now?

Quote Originally Posted by cless-mint
    I see. What does it mean by transparent anyway?
    So it's been more than a month already. Has anyone tested this transparent NTFS writing solution?

Thank you

Is it really safe to write to NTFS now?

It seems to work quite well. I have been testing quite a lot with no problems so far. See my results here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25032

Member registered user

Is Knoppix distribution dead?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering is the KNOPPIX distribution dead? It is been a long while since the last release...

Regards,
    Aleu

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast