Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.0.1

Senior Member registered user

Knoppix 5.0.1

I was sent an email from the owner of on-disk.com :

I was talking with Klaus Knopper yesterday. I was given the ISO for the
    5.0.1 DVD and permission to list it in our catalog.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/112

This is a Win-Win situation for the Knoppix Project and Knoppix fans.

Win for users.... They will be booting up while others are cramming the
    download mirrors. Ship time for US addresses is about 3 days
    (International 7 or so). When they order a disc today, and it will be
    in their mail box Friday when the ISO goes public.

Win for Knoppix... Because the disc is coming from On-Disk.com, Klaus
    Knopper will get funds for the project for every disc we ship.

Introducing KNOPPIX version 5.01

The 5.01 DVD will be officially released to the public on June 2, 2006 and is currently available ONLY on DVD media.

With 5.0.1 KNOPPIX moves from a "Live Distribution" to being a "Full Distrobution". The KNOPPIX 5.0.1 Live DVD contains updated from 5.0 which saw some major changes in the unionfs-based file system, new hardware detection and autoconfiguration, and a more "genuine Debian" oriented selection of packages. Apart from this, the harddisk install option ("knoppix-installer") has been extended by Martin Öhler, based on the work of Fabian Franz, featuring a "live update" of specific packages from a new version of the live DVD or CD.

KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational DVD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos.

It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the DVD can have over 8GB of executable software installed on it.
    Click here to view Screen Shots of Knoppix 5.0.

* Linux Kernel 2.6.15.4
    * Debian (testing/unstable)
    * Xorg Version 6.9
    * udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
    * KDE 3.5.1, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
    * OpenOffice 2.0.1 (german+english)
    * transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
    * new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
    * Many Updates...
    You can buy it here http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/112 now, and it will be released to the public on June the 2nd.

You should update the information on your page, because right now it lists the information for Knoppix 5.0.

For Knoppix 5.0.1 the following applies (quoting from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html):
    What's new
    Linux Kernel 2.6.17 (rc)
    Debian (testing/unstable)
    Xorg Version 7.0
    Detection of onboard IDE-Raid Controllers and raid disk components
    udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
    KDE 3.5.2, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
    OpenOffice 2.0.2 (german+english)
    transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
    new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
    Many, MANY Updates...[/b]

Member registered user
    Where is the CD version of 5.0.1? I thought they were to be released on the same day? I am downloading the DVD right now, but I always like to have the CD version handy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
    Where is the CD version of 5.0.1? I thought they were to be released on the same day? I am downloading the DVD right now, but I always like to have the CD version handy as well.
    At the same time together with the DVD edition, a CD version with somewhat reduced content ("Best of Desktop applications") will be published on the mirrors.
    There's no such thing as infinite bandwidth, so I guess if you guys can just wait a little bit...

On the 30-May-2006, Klaus Knopper said on the knoppix mailing list:
    The CD images are still no ready yet (180MB to delete after the last upgrade)

Administrator Site Admin-
    It looks like the DVD ISO has grown to be just over 4 gigs in size. I wonder how many of the current downloaders are trying to download it on Win98 and other FAT based systems that will not hold a file that large.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Here is the edonkey link to 5.0.1 English version if you want to download via edonkey p2p network
    ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso|4344862720|C977EA767798A5E15C6697F8AFE692E3 |h=PSEEWBTOZM4OJPO7W5GZ2SKDRVXZWJ4B|/

Harry Kuhman:

You are correct in the assumption that somebody, somewhere, will attempt to do just that. The file looks to be 3.99 Gig on the mirrors, but odds are it won't fit the FAT size limitations on disk. Wonder why we all get so optimistic about these things?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    The file looks to be 3.99 Gig on the mirrors, but odds are it won't fit the FAT size limitations on disk.
    That's curious because BT is saying that it is 4.04 gigs in size. I wonder if the mirrors are wrong, if the mirrors have a corrupt (truncated) file, or if Klaus managed to keep the size to the one byte less than 4 gig limit for this reason and BT is just reporting a somewhat high value (perhaps because of the other files included in the download, but they are normally tiny and I would not expect it to throw off the figures by that much).

When someone here gets the ISO and confirms the md5 checksum, please post the exact size of the iso file. I was going to grab it myself but aborted the BT download as soon as I saw the size; as my only XP system does not have a DVD burner and is low on free space, while my DVD burner system is still Win98 based.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

RE: Harry - Filesize

Downloaded 5.0.1. DVD. Typing this now in Firefox. Running good.
    Checked MD5 - was good!

Filesize - exact 4,344,862,720 bytes.

From ftp site as listed on Distrwatch.com announcement.

Took about 3 hours to get.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast