Thread: Removing Roxio Reparing XP

Removing Roxio Reparing XP

I am sorry to bother everyone as this is probably a very elementary question, but I am at a loss. My GF loaded an incompatible Roxio program onto our laptop. From what I understand, the autorun.inf file is causing xp to bomb at startup. I ran Knoppix 5.0 from the CD last night and was able to my HD and Ext HD. I was hoping to blow away the entire roxio program folder to see if that will solve the issue, but I am unable to delete the folder. I went to properties for the folder and attempted to change permissions to "Read/Write" but I am still unable to delete it. I tried an rm function in the shell as well and no luck. How do I change permissions so that I may delete and copy files in Knoppix? Any info would be greatly appreciated...and Iapologize for such a basic question, but this is my first experience w/ the program.

Thanks in advance-
    Matty

Administrator Site Admin-
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    If you are asking questions here, you probably should not do that which you want to do. If you do go ahead, make a backup of all important files first. The new NTFS drivers are 'supposed' to work. There have be others in the past which were supposed to work.

Windows configuration is always a snake pit. I would do a safe boot into NT and see about deleting or possibly uninstalling the files in windows safe mode.

With Knoppix as it boots, you can backup or salvage your data to either a USB or networked drive. If you succeed in deleting the directories you wish to hammer, you may end up without access to the drive.

I recommend trying to do a safe boot into the NT and see what you can accomplish from there. roll back to a saved checkpoint, before the install. Anything before you start deleting directories.

I do that kind of silliness, but it is when NT boots and is running.

Matty:

You would probably be best served by tring to boot into safe mode and then using the "Restore" feature in Windows to revert to an earlier restore point. Details may be found by searching on the Microsoft.com site.

Simply deleting the folder would probably not resolve your concern.

OK, upon further reading I have learned quite a bit. Now I see that some of these issues might not be resolvable and I also did not give enough info into the issue.

The laptop begins to boot and the xp logo screen appears...a blue screen flashes for < one second and the screen goes black. So I cannot get it to boot into safe mode unfortunately. My new goal is to backup the HD with my external drive; however, I have been unsuccessful in mounting it. I receive an error stating that the mount was unsuccessful due to ongoing processes. I am at work and cannot give the error verbatim.
    This attempt at mounting was done through the actions menu. I then tried command line "mount sda1" and received an error...sda1 was not found in /etc/fstab or something along those lines.

I have looked into some of the other posts concerning trouble mounting hd's but I have yet to find one that has this error. Any ideas?

Matt

I just found a blurb on reinstalling XP w/o formatting or loosing applications.

http://www.informationweek.com/windo...leID=189400897

It is an undocumented or poorly documented recovery for XP. It works from the install CD.

There is also a recovery console and a repair option which can be booted from the Install CD

I am also at work and away from my toys. I have successfully recognized a USB drive. I don't remember if I had it plugged in and powered on during boot or if I powered it up after boot. I would try both. You do have to tinker the R/W modes since it will be mounted read only per KNOPPIX philosophy.

Matty:

Best advice is to back up whatever you can first. Then you might try the recovery console or something like BartPE. I would search around on the Micro$oft site to see if they have any suggestions on doing a system restore when the system fails to boot.

Just curious, was it an older version of Roxio? I remember an issue with Win 2000 that crashed when the program was installed. Don't think it prevented booting entirely though.