Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making New CD

Making New CD

Very New to Knoppix.

I recently attempted to make a CD for the latest version of Knoppix. I tried several downloads, however none of them will boot. My old 3.8 that I paid boots with no problem on both computers. Any suggestions on what is the problem will be appreciated.

Administrator Site Admin-
    My suggestion is covered in answer #1.

CD Burning

I guess I am really getting "OTD" I had already read and thought I understood what was in the information you referred me to. I did what I thought was being recommended, but all the CD's I burned will not boot.

The info says that you have to make sure the downloads are not corrupt. When I check them, they seem to be the same size as the site states. Other than that I don't know what to do to verify. Help!

Re: CD Burning

Quote Originally Posted by texasclaw
    I guess I am really getting "OTD" I had already read and thought I understood what was in the information you referred me to. I did what I thought was being recommended, but all the CD's I burned will not boot.

The info says that you have to make sure the downloads are not corrupt. When I check them, they seem to be the same size as the site states. Other than that I don't know what to do to verify. Help!
    Well, my first observation is that you have not understood what the Downloading FAQ told you. It explains using the MD5 checksum to confirm the download, so I'm at a loss to understand why you say the above.

You're not telling us what you are doing to make your burn, so I don't see how you could expect anyone to tell you what you are doing wrong, although with nothing else to go in I expect that it's covered in the FAQ too. Tell us exactly what steps you took to make the burn and also tell us what you see when you look at the burnt CD under Windows.

CD Burn

First I downloaded the .iso files (several including eMule collection, Knoppix DVD 5.0, and Knoppix CD 5.0) I then used Nero 6.6 to burn the CD and or DVD. On one disc is the file KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso (696MB0, 2nd KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso. (696MB) and on the DVD-RW Knoppix 5_0.emulecollection.

I apologize if I am missing siomething in the instructions on the page you referred me to, but I am sturk. Any help will be appreciated.

Well, I still don't know much odf what you did. In my mind e-mule is a bad idea and a source of many problems. But if you got an iso and the md5 checksum is correct then it's a good iso. But to be on the safe side I would at lease get a trused copy of what the md5 should be from a mirror, not from some unknown person on e-mule that gave me the iso. So far it doesn't sound like you are checking the md5 checksum.

Then you say you burnt it with Nero 6, but you don't give the exact steps that you used and you don't say the all important part. that you burnt it as an image. Nor do you say the speed that you burnt at, which the faq stresses is very important.

I asked in my previous post to tell us what you see on the disc when you look at it under Windows, which would give me some information about what you are really doing. But you ignored that.

My understanding when I joined this forum, was that we were to be curteous and not put down others. However Under the circumstances I don't understand much ODF of what you are telling me or asking me. I put the file info that i saw in windows behind the disks I was describing. I don't know how to describe the info on the disks further. I copied the pile name under properties for each disk shown in My Computer.

As far as burning under Nero 6, I used CD/DVD at the top menu and clicked "want to make a Data CD). I closed all other progams. Under Nero Express I added the .iso file and then Burned at the slowest speed allowed, which is 4x. I also asked that the disc be verified. Then I clicked Burn and waited for the results. I then put the disk in the drive and rebooted the computer with no luck. Don't know how to explain further

My understanding when I joined this forum, was that we were to be curteous and not put down others.
    Boy, I sure thought that I was. I assure you that I've been restraining myself. Can you tell me what part of my response you fell was less than courteous? I don't feel that we are getting any feedback, even when questions are asked, and this is frustrating in that it makes it hard to offer any more information than is already in the downloading faq. I guess this frustration may be showing, but is is not an intention to be less than courtious or put you down, just to ask again for the information that we need to help you.

However Under the circumstances I don't understand much ODF of what you are telling me or asking me.
    Rather than make this general statement it would help to be specific. What should I explain better? What is not understood?

I put the file info that i saw in windows behind the disks I was describing.
    I don't know what you mean by this statement. Could you please reword it and state it differently?

I don't know how to describe the info on the disks further.
    If you burnt the ISO file as an image following the instructions in the downloading faq then you would see an entire file system in the CD. Specifically there would be a boot folder with files in it, a Knoppix folder with files in it, several autorun files, a cdrom.ico icon file and an index.html file. If you are not burning the file as an image you will likely get something else, and I suspect that when you look at the CDROM that you created it had one file on it, the knoppix iso file. What do you see when you open the CDROM under windows?

I copied the pile name under properties for each disk shown in My Computer.
    I realize that there is a typo in this line, but allowing for that I still don't know what you mean. Please reword and restate.

As far as burning under Nero 6, I used CD/DVD at the top menu and clicked "want to make a Data CD). I closed all other progams. Under Nero Express I added the .iso file and then Burned at the slowest speed allowed
    Well, now were are making some progress. The downloading faq has a section for Nero 6 that spells how how to do the burn properly for each version (full version, Nero 6 Express and Nero 6 Smart Start). From what I read here you are just copying the ISO to the CD, not doing the steps that are needed to burn it as an image. Can you suggest what we could have done better in the downloading faq (and should do in the future) than document this issue the way we did and give the exact location of this option in each version of Nero?

CD Burn

I am not sure just what happened, but I guess my advanced age does not allow me to think like all the young computer experts out there. The confusion is all mine, I assure you.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I finally got a good CD using the ISO Recorder and downloading with Bit Torrent. Had tried before, but couldn't get it to work. For some reason Bit Torrent worked this tome, albeit a bit slower. Fpr some reason I thought downloading with Bit Torrent would be as least as fast as with my regular DSL, but not so.

Please close this thread, since it is no longer needed.

Again, thanks for the help your attempted to give, even with my "thickheadedness"

Re: CD Burn

I finally got a good CD using the ISO Recorder and downloading with Bit Torrent. Had tried before, but couldn't get it to work. For some reason Bit Torrent worked this tome, albeit a bit slower. Fpr some reason I thought downloading with Bit Torrent would be as least as fast as with my regular DSL, but not so.
    I like and recomend BitTorrent. To get good speeds you need to foward the BitTorrent port properly in your router and make sure that any software firewall allows incoming BitTorrent connections. I have a friend who got the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD in 20 minutes on BitTorrent, and this was in the first few days of release when the demand was high and the number of downloaders far outnumbered those seeding (he does have a very high speed pipe, but is behind a University firewall). It has always be faster and more reliable than the mirrors for me, and I too am on DSL. I think this issue was covered in the downloading faq, if not is should be.

I'm not clear as to why you needed to download the ISO again. DId the md5 check determine the e-mule version was bad?

We don't tend to lock threads if there is no need. If there is no activity it will soon sink low in the list of threads and there will be little likelyhood of additional posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast