Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No connection to ADSL

No connection to ADSL

I am new at Linux and downloded the knoppix 5 hopping to start my learning
    Started OK but I cannot connect to the net
    I also have a modem - router Arescom 1000 and I am the only one connected to the web.
    Tryed everything with no results

So I went to the forums.

After I read what you are going thru I thing I better stay out of Linux

Thanks for helping me

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: No connection to ADSL

Your post has been split into it's own thread, since you have different equipment than others and it is very likely a different problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamanel
    After I read what you are going thru I thing I better stay out of Linux
    That's your choice, but we have helped a lot of people here if they don't just give up before they make their post.

You say that you have a modem with a built in router. Good. The following querstions will help us help you.

What is your network interface card? You are connecting by ethernet and not usb, right? If you are connecting by usb, does the modem have an option to connect by ethernet? What do you get if you type ifconfig into a console window after Knoppix boots?

Has the moder/router been set up with your DSL user name and password? (In the thread where you tried to post this, this apparently was not being done.)

At a command prompt (console window) type sudo netcardconfig. Say yes to the question about DHCP. What happens?

What is the IP address of your router? Can you ping it at a command prompt? Can you open the router configuration screen by putting that address into a browser in Knoppix?

There are plenty more questions, but the answers to these will get us started in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    That's your choice, but we have helped a lot of people here if they don't just give up before they make their post.
    I must bow and thank you for your kindness.

First let me list my equipment

Computer :
    Operating system Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Service Pack del Sistema Operativo Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

M Board :
    Processor Intel Celeron D, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
    Brand Name Intel La Crosse D865GLC (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
    Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
    Memory 752 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS AMI (01/22/04)

Monitor :
    Graphic Card Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB )
    Acelerator 3D Intel Extreme Graphics 2
    Monitor AOC Spectrum 5E(A)/5En(A)/5Elr(A) [15" CRT] (114573814)

Multimedia :
    Tarjeta de sonido SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (Intel D865GLC)

Almacenamiento :
    Controlador IDE Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    Controlador IDE Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    Controlador SCSI/RAID A347SCSI SCSI Controller
    Har disk ST3120022A (120 GB , 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Hard Disk ST3250824AS (232 GB , IDE)
    CD/DVD AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
    CD/DVD DVD-ROM
    CD/DVD TDK DVDRW0404N
    SMART OK

Network:
    Card D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.C) (192.168.1.2)
    Card WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (201.223.104.227)
    Modem AOpen FM56-SM Soft PCI Modem
    Modem GPRS via COM [/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    What is your network interface card? You are connecting by ethernet and not usb, right? If you are connecting by usb, does the modem have an option to connect by ethernet? What do you get if you type ifconfig into a console window after Knoppix boots?
    Yes the modem have an USB connection but I am using RJ-45.

I got two items, the first one is

eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.2
    bcast 192.168.1.255
    mask 255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST

RX Packets 5 Both packets have 0 errors
    TX 12
    interrupt 21

lo LOCAL LOOPBACK
    inet addr 127.0.0.1
    RX and TX packets, both 14, have no errors

Has the moder/router been set up with your DSL user name and password? (In the thread where you tried to post this, this apparently was not being done.)
    As I said, this is a modem provided by the company I think is used as modem and I dont know if there is any configuration as router.

At a command prompt (console window) type sudo netcardconfig. Say yes to the question about DHCP. What happens?
    SENDING BROADCAST DHCP FROM ETH0 OK

What is the IP address of your router? Can you ping it at a command prompt? Can you open the router configuration screen by putting that address into a browser in Knoppix?
    I do not know

In order to log into internet I have a name and a password. I enter those values when I configure the ADSL connection in knoppix. After that I went to ping into some IP numbres and hang up.

The PLOG command tells me I do not have access, same with IFCONFIG PPP0

the PON DSL-PROVIDER says there is not access to a certain file.

Thanks for your help

Network:
    Yes the modem have an USB connection but I am using RJ-45.
    Great. Use ethernet and stay away from the USB connection and I expect things will go very well.

eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.2
    bcast 192.168.1.255
    mask 255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST

RX Packets 5 Both packets have 0 errors
    TX 12
    interrupt 21l
    THis is looking very good. In fact, I think you're working fine!

As I said, this is a modem provided by the company I think is used as modem and I dont know if there is any configuration as router.
    In my experience there always is. When in Windows, try putting http://192.168.1.1 into a browser window and see for yourself. But we can skip past that for now. By the way, you mention using IE 6.x. This is straying off-topic a bit, but I just can't let that statement pass without warning you against using IE in Windows. Take a look at a free copy of Firefox at the link I provided and I doubt if you will want to use IE any more.

SENDING BROADCAST DHCP FROM ETH0 OK
    Again this looks real good. You don't even need to do this, since Knoppix does it for you automatically at boot time.

I do not know
    From the information you gave above it is very likely that your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, although it does not have to be and it might have been moved elsewhere in the 192.168.1.xxx range (192.168.1.254 would be my next guess). There are even utilities like nmap that can help you find it if it is hidden. But for now I'm going to assume it's 192.168.1.1

In order to log into internet I have a name and a password. I enter those values when I configure the ADSL connection in knoppix. After that I went to ping into some IP numbres and hang up.
    And this is where I think your problem is starting. You should not have to use your user/password in Knoppix, and you should not have to run PPPoE software. You shouldn't have to run it in XP either. The router should be taking care of all of that for you.

Have you tried to access the Internet without doing any setup at all? Just put a URL in a browser address bar and see what happens. Also try to ping 192.168.1.1 and, when that works, try to ping 72.36.188.40 and if that works try to ping knoppix.net .

If your router is set up properly then everything is already working. If you can ping the router but can't ping the others then you may need to go into the router configuration by using a browser and the router address and entering the DSL username and account information there. Sometimes there is a login screen before they let you access this information. If so you will need to check the modem/router documentation for the default login name and/or password to get in, or if it has been changed by whoever set up the system find out what it has been changed to. But I'm actually hoping and expecting that you don't need to configure the router at all. (You want to be able to do this anyway, as it will be important to be able to permit the router to pass some incoming ports for some applications, such as BitTorrent and some on-line games).

Thanks Harry,
    I think the problem is the way knoppix handle the modem.
    I have a program to check the modem and when starts its tells me that it found 2 IP and I must choose the one the router is.

The first one supposed be the router.
    I select that and after a while the program tells me there is no router.

The other IP is the ISP, there is where I have to have the name and the password.

But for reasons that I dont know it does not go thru.

I think that's my problem,

Thanks anyway

PS I tried to ping that IP and nothing happen

I think the problem is the way knoppix handle the modem.

The first one supposed be the router.
    No, the first one is the IP address that is assigned to your local computer on your NAT network (in this case the network is just the computer and the router). The router itself must be at a different address, most likely at 192.168.1.1 but as I said it could be elsewhere. As I said before, if you are not sure where it is then you could find it with nmap. nmap is on the Knoppix CD, but you could also download a copy for XP is you wanted. Under Knoppix do the following:

• Open a terminal/console/command prompt window.

Type su to become root.

type nmap -v -sP 192.168.1.1-254

There are lots of different options for nmap but this should get you started and find the other IP address on the 192.168.1 sub-net.

The 201 address is indeed your public IP address. I don't know why you can see this from behind the router, as a router should hid this address from you. So this router certainly isn't behaving the way that most routers do. All the more reason to get documentation on the router and/or go into the router setup and see what you can find.

By the way, your public IP address is dynamic, your ISP can and does change it. You last post was from a diferent IP address, but your first two posts were indeed from the address that you listed above.

PS I tried to ping that IP and nothing happen
    You have to ping the router IP, not the 192.168.1.2 address.

• Open a terminal/console/command prompt window.

Type su to become root.

type nmap -v -sP 192.168.1.1-254
    I got the following

192.168.1.1 APPEARS TO BE UP
    MAC ADDRESS 00:058:22:E5:17 (ARESCOM)

192.168.1.2 APPEARS TO BE UP

192.168.1.3 APPEARS TO BE UP
    MAC ADDRESS 00:0A:E6:67:C1:CC ELITEGROUP COMPUTER SYSTEM (ECS)

The first one pings allright

OK. We know from the ifconfig that 182.168.1.2 is your local computer. The router is 192.168.1.1 (the NIC information confirms this). I have no idea what the 192.168.1.3 address is and I would be pretty concerned about this until I found out. This modem/router doesn't have wireless capability, does it? If it does someone else may be hijacking your Internet connection (and they could have access to your own computer as well). If there is no wireless access that do you have any insight on what the 192..168.1.3 device is? You don't have a network printer or some other gizmo attached to the ethernet, do you?

So we are back to trying to see about configuring the router. Can you access a web page at http://192.168.1.1 ? If not how about http://192.168.1.1:8080 ? Do you have any documentation on how to access the setup of the router? If not, can you find any on the Internet, or get any from your ISP?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Network:
    Card WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (201.223.104.227)
    Modem AOpen FM56-SM Soft PCI Modem
    Modem GPRS via COM
    While trying to figure out what that 192.168.1.3 device is, I went back and looked at your network information again, and I have some questions.

The first line here makes perfect sense, it is a D-link NIC adapter. I'm not at all clear on why the second line is telling me. Are you saying that you have a second card in this computer? Just where did you get the information that you listed here?

I'm guessing that this second line is some output of Windows and does not represent a real physical interface card, it's just an abstraction created by running PPPoE software under WIndows. But again let me stress that with a properly setup router you don't need and don't want to run PPPoE software under Windows or Linux. I have as many as 6 systems connected to my router at any time, and none of them run PPPoE software. In fact, by exposing your system to a public IP address )201.xxx.xxx.xxx) you actually expose your system to a number of attacks and completely bypass the security provided by a NAT router if you do this. There are other good reasons for not running PPPoE too, from less overhead to faster access, and letting the router better do it's job. The router should be taking care of any needed PPPoE for you, not your local computer(s).

OK, the 3rd item seems to indicate that you have a "win-modem" in your computer. Fine that you have it although I expect that you don't use it much (except maybe for sending and receiving faxes) since you have a DSL connection. Knoppix does not support many soft modems, and while I have not tried to look it up I don't expect it will support this.

The 4th item is even stranger. It seems to indicate that you have some sort of radio packet system attached to your computer, either attached to com port 1 or attached with an interface that looks like a com port to the software. Just what is this? Are you sure that you are connecting to the Internet through your DSL modem at all and not through this? Is there really some physical device that attaches to a GPRS system, and if so can you disconnect it? If you do, do you still get Internet access under Windows?

Eletegroup makes, or at least sells under their name, a wireless interface. This gives me additional concern that someone may be accessing your router wirelessly. If true and without your knowledge then it is another reason why you need to access you router configuration and enable the strongest wireless encryption it supports, or disable the wireless side all together. Until you do this if someone is accessing your network wirelessly they not only could do things on the Internat like illegal downloads that could be tracked back to you, but they could also access the rest of your network and either take information from your system or spy on and capture your outbound internet traffic, including e-mail passwords, On-line banking information, catch credit card information if you make an on-line purchase and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast