Thread: Sometimes the Internet works on boot, sometimes not

Junior Member registered user

Sometimes the Internet works on boot, sometimes not

Sometimes when I load up Knoppix I'll be able to use the internet no problem, other times I load it up and it loads up fine but the net doesn't work. I've now installed a persistent image on a drive so will it now remember the settings and always work or do I have to do something to copy the settings that do work and then re-insert them every time?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Your post is being moved to the networking section because, well, it has to do with networking.

See answer #3.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Sorry, I didn't see the networking section. My Bad.

Ok, well It's working right now (I'm on it as we speak) so I can only give you some info.

I tried netcardconfig when I had the problem but didn't know the correct settings to put in there. I thought maybe it was the defalt ones so I just kept hitting return and it said it didn't work.

ifconfig came up with this: (keep in mind it's working right now)

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:B0:9E:E9
              inet addr:24.224.128.170  Bcast:24.224.128.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::220:78ff:feb0:9ee9/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:225315 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:25504 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:4133 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:60846426 (58.0 MiB)  TX bytes:3183685 (3.0 MiB)
              Interrupt:20 Base address:0xcc00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:408 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:408 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:1599224 (1.5 MiB)  TX bytes:1599224 (1.5 MiB)
    I have a cable connection, without a router just a splitter so that it goes to both my brother and my computers. It goes in through an ethernet card, no USB or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighness
    I have a cable connection, without a router just a splitter so that it goes to both my brother and my computers. It goes in through an ethernet card, no USB or anything.
    Do you mean by this an RF splitter, and then both you and your brother have individual cable modems? (I hope so, since you can't just split the ethernet signal after the modem.) How much extra a month does the cable company charge you for that over having 1 cable connection? Is it more over the course of a few years than the $9.99 or so one time cost that a simple router would be? Is there some reason that you don't want the extra and important firewall protection that a NAT router provides? (I paid a lot more for my first router, and I used it with only one computer for quite a while, but I understood the importance of a hardware firewall.)

If you read the other answers on the page I gave you a link for you may already know that I believe that most connection problems would simply go away if people used a proper simple and inexpensive router. I don't know what the problem is with you connecting some time and not others (MAC address maybe, or the old connection not giving up it's DHCP lease properly and the cable company not giving you one as a result perhaps?) but I don't understand why you would want to fight with it, even if you don't want to save money by sharing one ethernet connection with your brother.

Egh, I can never remember what the heck the damn thing is called, I know it's not a router. So I dragged my azz up and went and looked and it's an Ethernet Hub. It's not this exact one but it looks just like it.

We actually did have a router but for some reason it drastically reduced the connection speed on my brother's computer so we went back to the hub. I was planning on using it again when I moved out tho.

In any event I don't think it's a hardware matter, every time I restart windows the internet works like a top. I think it must just be something to do with knoppix not getting the settings right, when I use the image with the correct settings saved it seems to work fine.

Most ISPs, including cable companies, give out one IP address per modem. In some cases you can get more than one IP address, but you almost always have to pay extra for it. I don''t know how you are getting both you and your brother connected at once, but you might want to look at if your "fail to connect sometimes" problem can be linked to failing when your brother is on line and working when he is not. A hub or a switch normally will not work directly connected to a cable modem with multiple users on line at once, since the modem will only give one of them an ip address.

Some but not all cable systems go a step further and link the IP to the MAC address of the computer, so if you change computers (or in your case connect more than one through a hub) the different MAC address can't get the IP assigned to it even if the first computer is disconnected or turned off.

If you do get 2 computers working at once this way, it would be interesting to know what IP addresses you are assigned. You might also want to look up or contact the ISP and find out what their policy is if you want 2 IP adresses.

A router is an important piece of hardware f at least two reasons:

• 1 It connects to the cable company for you and the cable company assigns it an IP address.. It gives out local private IP addresses to as many computers as you wish (some small home routers support up to 32 users, some support up to 254. Commercial grade routers may support more.) The ISP doesn't know how many systems you have and can't charge you individually for them, the just see traffic from the router. The router accepts any packets destined for the internet and repackages them with the public IP address. When responses come back it routes the replies to the proper system on the local network. There is more to it than that, but this is a brief explination on how a router can let your entire network use one public IP address.

2 Because the router does Network Address Translation, or NAT, it acts as a natural firewall. Hackers scanning your IP address for a vulnerable Windows system don't get to the Windows computer because the router never saw any outbound traffic to them and so it has no idea where to route the inbound hacker's attack. So it drops it, discards it, puts it in the old bit bucket. This is an extremely important security feature if you are running Windows; a software firewall can not protect you in way that a hardware firewall will. Of course, there are easy ways for you to configure the router to forward packets if you want, such as you would do if running a web server from your home. But you control this and pass only packets to the ports that you choose. I would use a router even with only 1 computer, for the needed security it provides.

So I leave you with these thoughts: Find out your ISP's policy on providing multiple IP addresses to one account; find out what is really happening if both you and your brother try to connect to the net, consider getting a router both to make things work right and to give you a hardware firewall (then delete all of the Windows viruses that you have already from not having one).