Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knoppix 5 cupsys

Member registered user

knoppix 5 cupsys

I just installed Knoppix 5 onto my harddisk. Everything works except the printing.

I do not have a printer attach by is printing to a HP LJ printer attached to a Win XP computer.

When I start KDE Control Center to add a printer, I got a message that I cannot connect to CUPS. I have tried reinstalling CUPSYS and restarting it but got the same error.

Another thing. When I type http://localhost:631, I got the html code and not the webpage.

If I proceed to add a printer, the error message about not being able to connect to CUPS will not appear the next time I start the KDE Control Center again, the error message would not appear. If I remove the printer, the connection error will appear again.

When I tried to print a test page to the printer, I got an error message:- client-error-document-format-not-supported

Can anyone help out?

Senior Member registered user
    I seem to have the same problem, I couldn't fix it so I'm backing up my home directory right now and doing a re-install, hope you have better luck!

Stoo.....

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24953

Member registered user
    I have installed the same distro on another computer which is connected to a LAN. It detected 2 printers that is shared and CUP seems to be working fine. That is, http://localhost:631 showed what it suppose to show.

It seems that CUP goes bonkers when it cannot detect any printer in the first place.

Anyway, I am trying to upgrade and see what happen.

Try http://localhost:631/admin. Seems to work.

Member registered user
    I have installed the same distro on another computer which is connected to a LAN. It detected 2 printers that is shared and CUP seems to be working fine. That is, http://localhost:631 showed what it suppose to show.

It seems that CUP goes bonkers when it cannot detect any printer in the first place.

Anyway, I am trying to upgrade and see what happen.

Try http://localhost:631/admin. Seems to display ok.

Member registered user
    I am still having problems after doing apt-get update and upgrade.

stukennedyuk, did you manage to solve yours.

The funny thing is that I have install the same distro on 2 other computers and they seemed OK.

Member registered user
    Hello,

it seems that i'm having similar problems. My situation is:

Knoppix 5.0.1 CD - Debian-like installed on harddisc, has no local printers, but access to two printers over LAN (there's another linux machine with printers (Canon BJC3000 and HP LaserJet-4l) running samba). Older Knoppix versions did that, but this one seems to have a somewhat magic CUPS. It sees the printers, but when i try to install them, it says me (after driver selection) that drivers couldnt be loaded / maybe they're not in their position or some access rights are missing. Well, i ran the KDE's printer setup tool for this, in admin mode. (so i should have root rights)

When i try to add the printer via http://localhost:631 it just shows me a small selection of drivers, and no Canon drivers at all. I added the HP Printer and sent out a testpage, bit its not printing, saying that printer is working and accepting printjobs, but "Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!". Well, again, i never changed anything on the server, access rights cannot be the reason, and it worked on the same hardware with older Knoppix (4.0.2) on the client.

I once tried to reinstall (and thus upgrade) eveything thats connected with cups via apt-get, but this didnt do the trick. I tried to reinstall the same version of cupsys*, but apt-get tells me that this version (1.1.23-15) cant be downloaded. ??? Well, i did apt-get update before, and apt-cache showpkg cupsys shows me this version available...:

Provides:
    1.2.1-4 -
    1.2.1-3 -
    1.1.23-15 -
    1.1.23-10sarge1 -

Well, i'll keep on trying and post when i got it ... but maybe someone else has more knowledge or luck

Member registered user
    Hmmm i just tried it with the BJC directly connected (via parport) but with no luck. It also gives me the same cannot-load-the-driver-error.

Member registered user
    right now it seems to me that the printer drivers are almost completely missing...

On my "good old" machine there are loads of gzipped .ppd driver files in some subdirectories of
    /usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint

But on the Knoppix 5 machine there are NONE in this subdirectories... I dont know too much about cups - but this looks like tere is something essential missing in cups and/or gutenprint
    Until now, no (apt-get-) installation-try has fixed this problem for me...

Member registered user
    It seems that cupsys version 1.2.1 has some major problems - i've read alot in other forums about this. (just ask google) For our knoppix there is the possibility to apt-get cups version 1.1.23-10sarge1 and this one is working. Unformtunately you have to remove the cupsys-driver-gimpprint and cupsys-driver-gutenprint because they depend on 1.2.1 of cups. Maybe someone knows a deb source (for the sources-list of apt) to get an older version of those? They provide better drivers for my CANON and other printers.

Senior Member registered user
    I had similar problems and error messages with my epson CX4700 and here's how I solved it. It is risky because it involves installing the latest gutenprint, and IGNORING dependencies. But then again, if you run off a liveCD with a persistent home directory, you can afford to take some risks. Anything goes wrong, just start again (with a backed-up persistent home image).

1) download and install latest ijsgutenprint ( 4.3.99 in my case)
    2) download and install latest foomatic-db-gutenprint (4.3.99)
    3) download and install latest libgutenprint2 (4.3.99)
    4) download and install latest cupsys-driver-gutenprint (4.3.99)
    - here it will ask for dependencies libcupsimage2 and libcupsys
    - force the install ignoring these dependencies
    5) add printer the usual way and select gutenprint as the driver.
    6) Test print worked!

What didn't work:
    1) if you use the recommend default drivers (gimp-print etc), you get an error message about drivers couldn't be loaded
    2) if you use apt, or allow kpackage or synaptic to install the dependencies in step 4) above, CUPS will break, with weird error messages like "client error document format not supported and so on"
    3) in general, I find that upgrading major system packages is not a good idea, and often causes something to break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast