Thread: How to install xscreensaver?

How to install xscreensaver?

I have Knoppix 5.0.1 and I'm using a flash drive to hold my configuration and data. I was attempting to compile xscreensaver but it errored out saying that there was no X. KDE requires X, yes? If that is the case, how do I tell xscreensaver the location of the X libraries and headers and stuff?

Junior Member registered user
    Why would you want to compile a program? Knoppix is based on Debian. Do you not know about Debian's packaging system?
    Code:
    $su
    # apt-get -s install xscreensaver
    # apt-get install xscreensaver
    # exit
    $
    The -s option will simulate the installation, so you will see whether it should work. If the simulation looks good, then run the install.

I've never actually tried this in Knoppix, but it should work.

Why would you want to compile a program? Knoppix is based on Debian.
    So I can customize the compilation and installation.

Do you not know about Debian's packaging system?
    Yes, it is very nice. However, I do not want to use it in this case.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to compile xscreensaver under Knoppix?

Senior Member registered user

Re: How to install xscreensaver?

Quote Originally Posted by Screen Locker
    I have Knoppix 5.0.1 and I'm using a flash drive to hold my configuration and data. I was attempting to compile xscreensaver but it errored out saying that there was no X. KDE requires X, yes?
    Yes, you definitely have X installed, but you might not have the needed headers (or other development-stuff) installed.
    When compiling things, you often need to install some "development" packages first. They include stuff like headers.

If you get error about X, you could try installing e.g. libx11-dev debian-package. If that doesn't fix it, then likely you need some other -dev packages first.

Quote Originally Posted by Screen Locker
    If that is the case, how do I tell xscreensaver the location of the X libraries and headers and stuff?
    If you do have the headers and stuff installed, and you know where they are, you can tell that to configure-script before compiling.

Use ./configure --help to see all options. You can use --x-includes=DIR and --x-libraries=DIR to tell where X include-files and X libraries are located.