Thread: Cannot connect to the Internet

Cannot connect to the Internet

FIRSTLY I must apologise that I have just placed this question in the GENERAL SUPPORT SECTION OF THE FORUM as I did not realise at the time that this NETWORKING SECTION was available.

As this is my first venture into Linux, I have downloaded both the Live CD as well as the full DVD "KNOPPIX_V5.0.1.CD-2006-06-01-EN".
    I have been able to run the Live CD but when it comes to getting the Internet Connection I now am at a loss. I tried the connection wizard that seemed to search for the PPPoE or something like that and eventually comes up with a window letting me know that it was not successful.
    At this point I am stumped so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be really great.
    My internet connection is through a Netcomm NB5 Plus 4 modem router, my connection is 512kb/sec.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank You

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Cannot connect to the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by sam2539
    My internet connection is through a Netcomm NB5 Plus 4 modem router, my connection is 512kb/sec.
    I don't know this Netcomm NB5 Plus 4 modem router that you speak of, but the name seems to imply it is a modem with a built-in router. If that is the case and the router is enabled, then it is highly likely that you are already on the Internet after you boot the disc and you don't need (or want) PPPoE software at all. I'm assuming that it connects by ethernet and not some lame USB connection.

Are you sure that you are not on the Internet? Did you try putting a URL in the Konquror window that opens when Knoppix boots?

Under Windows, what is the IP address of your local system (as seen by ipconfig, not as seen by an Internet site like www.grc.com, checkip.dyndns.org or www.ipchicken.com)? If IP config gives a different address than the above URLs (most likely a 192.168.xxx.xxx or a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address), then good news, you do indeed have a router.

If you have a router and still can't get connected, do an ifconfig in Knoppix (from a shell or command prompt) and post back the results. Also try running netcardconfig and answer the DHCP question in the affarmative and tell us what happens. You can also try running netcardconfig and answering the first question negative, but you'll need to answer a few other network configuration questions then (I don't know your experience level and don't intend to write a full tutorial on IP addresses and network setup here).

And all this assumes that you are trying to connect by ethernet, not by wireless. If this doesn't resolve things post back, but post lots more info, including your full configuration and include informaton about your Network Interface Card and any other computers on your network.

Thank Harry
    For your quick response. I will now go and try what you suggested and will get back to you

Well Harry,
    I was on the Internet all along, thanks so much and I am writing this message using"Konqueror" how about that.
    As it seems that as I am using the Live CD at the moment all things seem to work do you think that as I have the full DVD (3.88gb) downloaded, that it would be OK to install it on my Hard Drive.
    As I understand it, as I have a couple of hard drives, both with 2 partitions on each, if I format one of those partitions would that be OK to install it to.
    Thanks

do you think that as I have the full DVD (3.88gb) downloaded, that it would be OK to install it on my Hard Drive.
    OH, what a question. Different people have different views on this, but my answer is simple:

NO! Hell no! No. No. NO. Don't even think about doing it.

See my stock answer #2 on this. Knoppix is a Live CD or Live DVD and things go horribly wrong when it is "installed" to hard disk. Yea, some very experienced users can fix them. I can't. And I doubt that you can.

While some people do install it and force it to work, there are lingering problems being able to install any new software or updates. And I have never heard any good reason for actually installing a Live CD! If you like Knoppix, you can easily do a Net install of Debian Etch. It should install with much less effort than forcing Knoppix to install. Once installed you can easily install any application included in Knoppix with the apt-get system (and many many more) and you don't waste space on any applications in Knoppix that you don't want.

The only rational reason I have ever heard of people wanting to install Knoppix over Debian is the baby duck syndrome. And that's not a good reason to do it, it just explains the mentality.

I'm not a Debian deciple and I'm not saying that it's the best distro for all users. There are other distros available too an you might like another better. But if you like Knoppix as a live CD you should love Debian as an installed to hard disk distro, but you may hate Knoppix if you try to install it.

By the way, what version of the DVD do you think you have? Did you check the md5 checksum? 5.0.1 is larger than that. You might want to read my answer #1 also.

Harry,
    I think that I may have it incorrect. I thought that the 3.88gb DVD was in fact an installitation DVD. I assume that this is not so.
    I would like to install on my PC a workable version of the Linus Operating System. How would I go about getting an installable version to do that

Harry,
    I think that I may have it incorrect. I thought that the 3.88gb DVD was in fact an installitation DVD. I assume that this is not so.
    I would like to install on my PC a workable version of the Linus Operating System. How would I go about getting an installable version to do that
    There is no such thing as a Knoppix install DVD. Some people do try to make Knoppix install, but there are problems with that. Again, see my answer #2. If you want help install Debian after trying Knoppix, many people here can help you, or you can use the official Debian support forum (don't even think about posting there if you try to install Knoppix and hit problems, they don't want to hear about it).

Debian is the Linux distro that Knoppix is based on and their website is http://www.debian.org/ . You can download a small iso that will get you started with a net install here: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

But if you think you have Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD then your file is too small based on the size you posted. You might have 4.02 (I didn't check the exact size but it doesn't sound right for 4.02 either). I think it is more likely that you didn't get a complete download. I really really recommend that you read my answer #1 that I gave you a link to above, or at least use DVD-RW media so that you will not make a lot of useless coasters until you decide to follow that advice.

We need more info on just how you want to install and use Linux to give you the "right" answer. You mentioned 2 drives. Do you plan a dual boot system with Windows? Is one of the drives completely free and empty? Does it have Windows partitions on it and if it does are you comfortable with partitioning tools to remove them (the Debian installer can delete them for you, but I find it safer for myself if I delete the partitions that I don't want rather than give the installer permission to delete anything). Heck, what is your hardware, do you want an i386 install of Debian or do you have a fancy 64 bit CPU and want the 64 bit optimized version?

All of this really gets beyond the scope of a network question, so I would suggest that you post a new thread, perhaps in the hard disk install, and Debian forum. Make it clear that you are looking to install Debian or someone will likely tell you how to install Knoppix, although they much less frequently get involved when the problems set in.

I will not respond to that post as quickly, need some time away from the computer, but I'll help where and how I can if needed. But for now I suggest checking out Knoppix and perhaps reviewing the information on the Debian website.

See also this warning. Today may not be a good day to do a Net-Install of Debian. The full CD install image should still work, but unless you have a pressing need I would suggest waiting and letting them resolve the beta 2/beta 3 issues, then doing a net-install. I find the net-install a much more handy way to install than from the full CD. In any case, as long as you have an internet connection available for the install, don't download more than the first CD. You don't need or want the full 16 CD set. It might be handy if you were going to install Debian on a lot of systems with no Internet access, but otherwise it's just a waste. Trust me on this, you'll see why after you start using apt-get to install applications directly from the Internet.

similar situation..

I am having a similar issue with connected to the internet. I am running knoppix right now on a new server with no OS currently installed simply so I can pick up the MAC address and send it to our networking group on campus to have them assign a static IP for the machine. I've plugged in the ethernet cable and the green light does not come on on my NIC card. I know that the drop is active as I unplugged it from the old server and moved it directly to the new one in order to get online. When I ran netcardconfig, it failed.

Any suggestions?

Thank!

Brian

Re: similar situation..

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUfctl
    I've plugged in the ethernet cable and the green light does not come on on my NIC card. .... When I ran netcardconfig, it failed.
    Do you know the NIC in that computer is working at all? What is the NIC (make and model, and even firmware version if you have that)? In what way did netcardconfig fail? Were you doing a DHCP setup or a manual configuration? If manual do you have all the right settings, you would need more than just the IP address. Do you have to get a static IP assigned to you, or is there a DHCP server that will let the system auto-configure by DHCP (DHCP would be a better option if it's available)? What's the output of ifconfig? It's not clear to me what you thought we could tell you after you told us the ethernet light didn't even come on whithout this additional information.

Did you try Knoppix in the computer that you stole the ethernet cable from?