Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Knoppix to make a Linux cluster on your home network

Senior Member registered user
    ClusterKnoppix is not based on Beowolf, its based on OpenMosix. In the OpenMosix model, processes that would stress the hardware resources of your node will be automaticaly distributed to the hardware resouces elsewhere on the cluster to a node that is not overly taxed. All you need to do is boot a ClusterKnoppix CD at each PC on a LAN that you want to make into nodes of your cluster.

If you want to run massively parallel code or some sort of cascade routine, this is not the cluster for you AFAIK. Isn't that the Beowolf model?

I want to try an OpenMosix cluster to find a counter example to Beal's conjecture. I don't have to run special code for this as all I need to do is start-up several instances of the same program with different inputs. As the inputs get larger, the processes take more and more RAM to simulate Very Large Integers. These processes are also very time consuming and number intensive.

Good luck with your efforts. I'd be very interested if you find a solution to your problem, however. Keep me posted!

TIA,

Junior Member registered user
    My application is to create a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver in fortran.
    We have a cluster we bought from Dell. But that stupid thing didn't come with any softwares. and the admin doesn't know jack how to use the cluster. We told him to put a fortran compiler on it but he doesn't know how to. Hence we are stuck. (don't ask me why the admin doens't call dell)

i was thinking that I will use My PC and add the cluster as my clients.
    But the admin won't let us put anything on the cluster. Hence I cannot install cluster knoppix on the cluster.

I have to some how use the cluster without installing anything on it.
    Any suggestions.

I haven't had a chance to try this myself, but AFAIK ClusterKnoppix is made for a LAN of PCs. If you want 10 nodes in your cluster, burn 10 CDs and boot 10 PCs on the LAN. Voila, instant cluster, just add water. IE: don't install anything!

What kind of clustering hardware did you get from Dell. Somehow it sounds to me like its not a LAN of PCs....

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia

What kind of clustering hardware did you get from Dell. Somehow it sounds to me like its not a LAN of PCs....

Regards,
    yeah it is not a LAN of PC's It is made of 4U racks. let me ask the admin about the configuration.

on openmosix website it says

MPI and openMosix are like bread and peanut butter, they just love each other.

For MPICH, the ch_p4 device is the most general and supports SMP nodes, MPMD programs, and heterogeneous collections of systems.
    The ch_p4mpd device supports only homogenous clusters of uniprocessors, but provides for far faster and more scalable startup.
    MPICH-GM is for Myrinet switch-connected clusters.
    The ch_shmem device is inappropriate for openMosix since it is for a single shared-memory system.

since beowulf is MPI cluster. hence i should be able to write parallel code and run on cluster knoppix.

I have read the posts, and i have a question: How I start? y have several machines, since P4 to 166MMX, can all really work together like only one? what I need to have installed on it. Is it as easy as installing linux on a single machine? Can I share machines with other S.O.? Thanks a lot

I'm about to set up a LAN with knoppix-installer and PXE. Should I try out ClusterKnoppix first? Any new developments?

TIA,

Knoppix Clustering

I'm actually reach the following stage.

P III 550 - ClusterKnoppix 3.3 hdinstalled OK.
    Powered on, got KDE, then "Start" -> KNOPPIX -> Services -> and Start knoppix OpenMosix Terminal Server (and configuration performed).
    Found it very easy.

Icons of "opneMosixview 1.4" and "openMosixmigmon 1.4"on desktop and programs launched.

P Pro 200 - 98 MRam - no HD
    Booting via LAN (3C905)starts downloading ClusterKnoppix from the P III, but after a while gives the following error :
    "Cant NFSmolunt KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell".

I'm still desperately trying (and browsing forums, sites etc.).

Suggestions?

lam-mpi and knoppix

i dont know how interested people are, but i've remastered the latest 3.3 knoppix disk with lam-mpi (dev, mpi doc's and xmpi) and some extra utilities for myself and my fellow students in college, since not everyone in my class can install linux at home and get mpi installed etc... i can stick the iso up online if people want it, its nothing too fancy.

as far as i recall neither clusterknoppix or quantian has an mpi implementation installed, which makes them less useful for people wanting to write their own solutions to problems

Re: lam-mpi and knoppix

i dont know how interested people are, but i've remastered the latest 3.3 knoppix disk with lam-mpi (dev, mpi doc's and xmpi) and some extra utilities for myself and my fellow students in college, since not everyone in my class can install linux at home and get mpi installed etc... i can stick the iso up online if people want it, its nothing too fancy.

Hi i am interested
    email iamgroovin(at)yahoo(dot)com
    thanks
    jaybo

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast