Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Knoppix to make a Linux cluster on your home network

Senior Member registered user
    What I'm wondering is what apps can you run this way. Why do you use a cluster - mpi or otherwise?

TIA,

Member registered user

cheater way to get LTSP running on hdinstall'ed system

Here is what I did to cheat and get LTSP running on a HD installed Knoppix system( should work for ClusterKnoppix ):

1) boot from the CD and start the LTSP
    2) tar up the /tmp/tftp directory and save it to either a hard disk, USB or something persistant
    3) boot your HD installed system and start your LTSP session
    4) extract the KNOPPIX compressed filesystem from the Knoppix CD to the /cdrom directory
    5) un-tar your saved /tmp/tftp data to the local /tmp/tftp system
    6) edit the default file in /etc/tftp/pxeconfig directory so that it uses the current IP address
    ( you can also customize the boot configuration for the PXE boot systems )

Now you should be able to boot a bunch of nodes on your network from your HD installed Knoppix/Debian system. Or ClusterKnoppix.

I'll work on fixing the terminal-server script so this is not needed but in the mean time... enjoy.

Junior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix Clustering

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio Mozi
    I'm actually reach the following stage.

P III 550 - ClusterKnoppix 3.3 hdinstalled OK.
    Powered on, got KDE, then "Start" -> KNOPPIX -> Services -> and Start knoppix OpenMosix Terminal Server (and configuration performed).
    Found it very easy.

Icons of "opneMosixview 1.4" and "openMosixmigmon 1.4"on desktop and programs launched.

P Pro 200 - 98 MRam - no HD
    Booting via LAN (3C905)starts downloading ClusterKnoppix from the P III, but after a while gives the following error :
    "Cant NFSmolunt KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell".

I'm still desperately trying (and browsing forums, sites etc.).

Suggestions?
    Well it sounds much lke the regular knoppix i had the same problem the only way i found that worked to fix it was to copy the KNOPPIX dir from the cdrom and place it in the /cdrom folder it worked no problems right away

Member registered user
    I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.

One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.

One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.
    It still seems like there should be a way to get this working completely from a hd install. Copying things to /cdrom is one way, but then you are limited to being able to run only the applications from the cd and not the newly installed ones. What about making /cdrom a symbolic link to /? Is there any way to link /cdrom to the directory structure on a hdinstall and have it work? Just a thought. It seems an easier solution than trying to rewrite the script.

Member registered user
    install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.
    So turning /cdrom into a symbolic link for / (or whatever) won't work? How come? I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.

Symlink

That sounds like a great idea and it is much more effective in the way that things should be done I will have to look into it myself thats what I was hoping for is a way to actually use the same drive as the server

Debian kernel + openmosix patch

I am looking for any documentation on the issue of patching a Debian kernel with the openMosix patch. As stated here the current clusterknoppix kernel is patched from an upcoming openMosix release.
    The problems I have is the lack of "root over nfs" and proper support for ext3 and jfs, so I wish to atempt making a kernel with these options.
    Has anyone been able to do this?

do you know Quantian, the Scientific Computing Environment

Quantian Scientific Computing Environment

- A Knoppix / Debian variant tailored to numerical and quantitative analysis

it's base on cluster knoppix

a real Live CD linux for science / maths

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/...an_dsc2003.pdf

does anybody know ?

However, Quantian differs from Knoppix by adding a set of programs of interest to applied or theoretical workers in quantitative or data-driven fields. The added quantitative, numerical or scientific programs comprise

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast