Thread: Reasons to choose Knoppix over Kubuntu?

Reasons to choose Knoppix over Kubuntu?

I tried subscribing to the gmane knoppix list, but kept getting this:
    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at smtpout13-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<debian-knoppix-request@linuxtag.org>:
    193.138.164.53 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 <debian-knoppix-request@linuxtag.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
    Giving up on 193.138.164.53.
    so I'm trying here instead:

This is a genuine enquiry, not flamebait. I'm looking to get back into Linux, and am trying to decide between these two distros (being a
    diehard KDE fan). Personally, I like what I've seen of Knoppix so far, but I would be very interested to hear of any things it has going for
    it over Kubuntu, especially given the Ubuntu family's phenomenal popularity.

Senior Member registered user
    Knoppix is very complete, especially in the DVD version. It has not installed well in the past.

If you wish to install on your hard drive, Kbuntu is probably your choice. If you want an install on Knoppix, the common recommenadation is to install Debian, it is designed to install and generates fewer problems.

Dick

Administrator Site Admin-
    Knoppix is a Live CD and/or Live DVD.

Kunbuntu is primarily intended to be installed to hard disk. While Kubuntu does have a Live CD mode, I found the software available when running as a Live CD very limiting. Worse, I couldn't see any difference at all between the software that comes ready to run on the Live CD and the software available to run on the Live DVD! If anyone knows why this is, please explain it. I can't in good faith recommend Kubuntu as a Live Linux system.

There are many good Live Linux CD out there. The focus of this website is Knoppix, but we sometimes touch on some of the others, particularly the Knoppix derived ones. See this forum.

There are many good Linux distros out there intended for install on hard disk. Knoppix is not one of them. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are getting good word of mouth for having a lot of driver suopport built in, but in the end the user has to make the choice of which distro to use, there are many good distros, including Debian, on which both Knoppix and Ubuntu are based.

Thanks to you both for that advice. Maybe I'll do both - get myself a 1GB memory stick and run Knoppix from the DVD while installing Kubuntu.

Senior Member registered user
    Have a look at Kanotix as an alternative to Kubuntu. It's very easy to install, excellent hardware recognition, a friendly, helpful forum / IRC. It's debian-sid based so very easy to install new software with the right dependencies. I stopped using Windows last December and my version of Kanotix is completely up-to-date with regular dist-upgrades.

drb

Quote Originally Posted by drb
    Have a look at Kanotix as an alternative to Kubuntu. It's very easy to install, excellent hardware recognition, a friendly, helpful forum / IRC. It's debian-sid based so very easy to install new software with the right dependencies. I stopped using Windows last December and my version of Kanotix is completely up-to-date with regular dist-upgrades.

drb
    Thanks, will do. Won't be able to give up Windows until Linux has something the equal of Dragon Naturally Speaking, but it's fun to play with in the meantime

Well, I've decided to go with Knoppix after all. I'm getting the DVD version, and have bought myself a 2GB Flash USB stick, so that I can efectively take my PC with me wherever I go. Thanks to all who helped me weigh the options.