Thread: using knoppix to access corrupt windows install drive

using knoppix to access corrupt windows install drive

I'm experienced in Windows but totally new to Linux. Have an IBM ThinkPad with Windows XP that won't boot. IBM suggests drive might be going bad. I don't have Windows CD to try and correct Windows problem (Windows will not boot past logo screen in regular or safe mode) so tech suggested I try knoppix to boot and burn data files to CD before new drive installed. I downloaded knoppix but it is 4.0 German language edition. Does anyone have a link to the English language edition or is there a command line switch to load in English?

Senior Member registered user
    The command for english is , at the boot: prompt - knoppix lang=en.

There are many posts in this forum and elsewhere on using knoppix to rescue data from windows machines, There is also an IRC channel, #knoppix where help may be available.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    The command for english is , at the boot: prompt - knoppix lang=en.

There are many posts in this forum and elsewhere on using knoppix to rescue data from windows machines, There is also an IRC channel, #knoppix where help may be available.
    Thanks for your reply. I tried typing the "knoppix lan=en" at the prompt, however my non-alpha keys (e.g. "=") do not produce the expected characters. I could not type the "=" in "lang=en" to produce the desired parameter. I could not use any combination of keys (alt or ctrl) to get the equal sign in my prompt command. BTW, this is a recent IBM ThinkPad (Z60) with a dedicated "=/+" key.

To download an english language version, click on Get knoppix above and go to one of the download sites, the english ones have EN in the link, for example http://ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr...5-09-23-EN.iso

HTH

Member registered user

Heading something off at the pass...

I'm seeing a potential stoppage of work here...if you boot from the live CD on a laptop you're going to need an external drive in addition to the one you're already using to burn the image. However, if you've used the "toram" cheatcode you'll still run into issues as you're likely not going to have enough memory to make the image file. Knoppix is not the best tool in the world for writing to NTFS partitions. It can be done but you run a BIG risk of loosing data. A more reasonable alternative would be to either copy the data across the network to another computer or use an external hard drive (formatted FAT16 or FAT32).

You see, if you use K3B you're just using a GUI shell that's, from my understanding, running mkisofs and cdrecord and will need access to some storage medium for the image of what you need to copy. If you're on the only working CD drive we run into problems as you'll have nothing to burn with. Now, if you use the "toram" option and have enough system memory to accomplish that cheat, the entire Knoppix image is loaded into memory; you'll likely not have enough for the image file. I'm only guessing here as we don't know the specs of your laptop. On the other hand (you have 5 more fingers) with a network transfer the ability to write to NTFS becomes irrelevant as the machine to which you're copying will be able to manage the file system. Lastly, the external hard drive solution is best when you have one handy, it can be formatted from within Knoppix in either FAT formats so that both it and XP can manipulate it. I use external drives and Knoppix on an almost daily basis so I know it works for file recovery.

HTH,

'Goon

Re: Heading something off at the pass...

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGoon
    I'm seeing a potential stoppage of work here...if you boot from the live CD on a laptop you're going to need an external drive in addition to the one you're already using to burn the image. However, if you've used the "toram" cheatcode you'll still run into issues as you're likely not going to have enough memory to make the image file. Knoppix is not the best tool in the world for writing to NTFS partitions. It can be done but you run a BIG risk of loosing data. A more reasonable alternative would be to either copy the data across the network to another computer or use an external hard drive (formatted FAT16 or FAT32).

You see, if you use K3B you're just using a GUI shell that's, from my understanding, running mkisofs and cdrecord and will need access to some storage medium for the image of what you need to copy. If you're on the only working CD drive we run into problems as you'll have nothing to burn with. Now, if you use the "toram" option and have enough system memory to accomplish that cheat, the entire Knoppix image is loaded into memory; you'll likely not have enough for the image file. I'm only guessing here as we don't know the specs of your laptop. On the other hand (you have 5 more fingers) with a network transfer the ability to write to NTFS becomes irrelevant as the machine to which you're copying will be able to manage the file system. Lastly, the external hard drive solution is best when you have one handy, it can be formatted from within Knoppix in either FAT formats so that both it and XP can manipulate it. I use external drives and Knoppix on an almost daily basis so I know it works for file recovery.

'Goon
    Thanks for your reply. Not quite sure I understand it all. I do have an external USB hard drive for the laptop and regarding laptop memory, it has 1G RAM . I just downloaded the English version of Knoppix from the link above. From the options you listed, do you have a recommendation?

As long as you can run knoppix from the cd drive in the laptop and knoppix sees your external usb hd, copying data should not present any problems HOWEVER - make sure the partitions to which you are writing data are formatted FAT32, not NTFS.

Good Luck.

wselzer:

The "=" sign is "Shift+0" on the German keyboard. Look at the German keyboard layout located at the following link. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Switzerland.29

The documentation for cheat codes and languages is located here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Options

or is there a command line switch to load in English?
    Once booted into knoppix,

setxkbmap gb
    or
    setxkbmap us

Regards,
    Mark