Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus P5B mobo.

Junior Member registered user
    Hi Mr Green,

Yes, it is the r1000 alright. Just make sure you get the latest version, which is r1000_v1.04, because earlier versions appear to have some problems. I got my download straight from the realtek site. When you have it installed and you want to configure your network, just bear in mind that the driver does not appear as Realtek or RTL but as Intel something something. Whatever, it works.

By the way, is the lsmod still required? If so, please specify what you need.

And do let me know if your kernel build is any success so I can see whether it is worthwile buidling my own. I would not know where to start but I reckon my Debian Bible will show me.

Cheers.

Oh, and by the way, for anyone interested, I just tested my older Knoppix CD with all-generic-ide. Does not seem to work... Either it is not old enough or, worse, Knoppix has never understood the all-generic thingy to begin with.

Member registered user
    Yo,

yeah r1000 stuff broke on my first roll of kernel ... new version works

I got FC5 up & running added all-generic-ide to kernel of grub my DVD shows up

FC picked up lan (eth0) ok would like to see modules (where are they hiding! lol)

Was told new modules for jmicron are in 2.6.18-rc* [EDIT mm!!!!! ]did have a go at building it see how it goes...

Knoppix there are always options just not found one yet

Thanks for all your help

First time this Box has run Linux its sweeet

Good to hear everything went well, Mr Green.

Just an afterthought for JMicron owners who don't like Fedora or who would like to add an extra distribution . If you cannot wait for the final release of kernel 2.6.18 , then it may be worthwhile installing an IDE controller card (the Promise Ultra, for example, does have Linux support). OK, it will cost you 25 to 40 Euros but it should solve your problems at once. And most of those controllers allow you to connect an extra four ATA/IDE devices, which is a good thing for people who need more than two optical drives or or who were hoping to add one or more ATA hard disks.

Member registered user
    Hi,

I'm running a prerelease version of beyond kernel ....on my new system

Ok... still not got access to dvd drive but I'm working on it

Yes I even tried to convert dvd to sata but still does not see it... have been told that adding an ide controller would not help (you may prove me wrong!)

Right ahci is set in bios (sata/ide) ahci module is loaded at boot (which is very slow atm!)

Yeah a Knoppix 5.01 would be cool ... the only way I could get a livecd to load was plug in a pendrive holding iso image works but again no dvd drive (of course booting this way you can copy2ram! if you have the ram!)

2.6.18-rc5 may have jmicron stuff.....

just thought I would keep you up to date

HTH

All confused to hear you think Promise IDE controller is not supported under Linux.

I heard it really is from someone (with the ASUS P5B) who added one and was able install Gentoo .. . Can't see why they should lie; it was in Dutch so I don't expect it was merely cheap advertising by some Promise employee. In fact, I went to the site and found this:

http://www.promise.com/marketing/dat...33tx2DS_v3.pdf

It does list Linux, doesn't it? And I see it's being sold by a pc shop near my place that specializes in anything Linux (especially Debian and Suse). But then again, they sell the ASUS p5b too, so maybe that doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, I placed an order for one today. Even if it does not work, it won't be a complete waste of money because I was hoping to install an ATA hard disk to run my MINIX OS (it has no SATA support). No other way to do so with the JMicron completely taken by the CD and DVD.

Only problem is these controllers are getting rarer and rarer now that SATA is taking over so I cannot be sure whether the order will actually be filled.

I will let you know.

JS

Member registered user
    Forgive me I did not mean its not supported under linux ....

I was told that adding an ide card to my mobo would make no difference ... I have not tried it so I cannot confirm that

Of course if you get it working I'll be rushing out to buy one lol

Hiyah,

Sorry if my latest message sounded like a telling off; it wasn't meant to be.

Just a quick note to let you know I checked with my shop; the Promise TX 133 controller should be coming in today (Monday). If all goes well, I will know whether it works or not by tomorrow evening (latish).

But frankly, I 'm increasingly confident it will. Just a few minutes ago I read another post from someone who got one of those & who's now running Debian ( which does not recognize the JMic - I can tell, I tried - for two weeks...). Sure, it may be on different system so I may still get disappointed... But until that time:

Member registered user
    Hi,

np... The boys at Gentoo have got a minimal live cd running ... which has patches that will see dvd drives...

More likely 2.6.18 will support JM stuff

Please I will be interested to hear if you get your dvd drive working (with Knoppix or any livecd!)

You can of course install Linux in a number of ways but I would like to have a working dvd drive

MrG

Hi,

I also consider to order a P5B. After I read this I'm a little confused about the JMirconas situation.
    According to the Asus homepage the JMicronas chip only provides two out of six SATA ports (and the
    PATA). Now I read in different boards that's impossible to install Debian, Knoppix, ... to a SATA
    harddisk attached to this board.
    But four SATA ports are connected to the southbridge. At least this four ports should work in my
    opinion. The PATA port is not necessary for me, I have even to install anonther one, because
    2 devices is much to less.
    Isn't the 2.6.18-rc6 kernel out yet (at least in testing)?
    Had everyone had a try to install a linux to this board (test different SATA ports).
    Last week the power supply in my PC killed all components (7 harddisks...), and this happens at
    a worse time for me, because I don't have much time for tests at the moment.

Best regards
    Metalhead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast