Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just can't figure this out (wireless)...

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Few questions: How do I log into the router and disable encryption? You need a network cable to connect to it and a password to log in.

How do I determine the ESSID? After login, you can retrieve the router's settings.
    How do I determine the value for my channel? Same as above.

And all 5 of those lines are seperate entries, right? Yes, each line is a separate command.
    The cable is connected to the router(downstairs computer, linux is on the upstairs one), and goes to the computer. Also, one goes to a wall outlet. How do I log in? I tried device manager (windows) but there was nothing about logging in.

One thing I noticed under network settings in the control panel is that instead of the ip beint 192.168.0.1, it was 192.168.0.101, and that the physical network address is 00-11-11-D1-76-FE. Perhaps that is relevant?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by marinebro0306
    How do I log in? I tried device manager (windows) but there was nothing about logging in.
    Typically, if your router is assigning addresses via DHCP, the address of the router is the same as the gateway IP. Use this in an internet browser instead of the typical URL (instead of using http://<your address here> put in the IP: 192.168.x.x where x.x are relevant to your gateway). At this point you should be requested to input your adminstrator (of the router) account and password. From there you can determine the ESSID and chanel.

HTH,

'Goon

The computer downstairs is my Dad's (im 15), and we recently got fiber optic DSL, as opposed to regular DSL. For this we got a new router, and he doesn't recall making a username/password for it, although it does prompt me for it.

I observed the connections via my PSP, and apparently the SSID (same thing as ESSID?) is called 'default', but it made no mention of a channel. Maybe that will help...

Senior Member registered user
    default? Might be a Netgear router. Username for login usually is "admin", password is "password".

Scary how you know that...
    Anyway, the SSID is default, and the Channel is 6. I'll have to change the password, then try out the script you told me.

I did the commands, but to no avail. Here were the responses:
    Code:
    su (nothing, obviously)
    ifdown eth1 (interface eth1 not configured)
    ifdown eth2 (same as eth1)
    iwconfig eth0 essid default mode managed channel 6 (blank)
    dhclient eth0 (command not found)
    Shouldn't I do the iwconfig eth thing to eth1 though?

Use "iwconfig" to find the interface that has wireless extensions and replace "eth0" with the correct label. It's "Managed" with a capital "M".
    Apparently, dhclient isn't available. Once more, enter command "iwconfig" to find out whether the network adapter is "associated" with "default". If so, run "Configure network card" from the Knoppix menu and confirm "DHCP = Yes".

I use Kanotix, a distro based on Knoppix but designed for hd install. Many packages are different, apparently dhclient is one of them. I prefer Kanotix because you can easily update it to the latest kernel and wireless drivers.

I tried iwconfig and everything after it (correctly) and it said: could not complete SET SSID operation: operation not available (or something like that).
    Also, when I do configure network card and confirm DHCP=yes, it says failed after taking a few seconds to do whatever it does.

could not complete SET SSID operation: operation not availabl
    Hm, this indicates a problem with either the driver or the firmware. I have two suggestions:
    1. Try installing Windows drivers with ndiswrapper.
    2. Download & install Kanotix-2006-Easter-RC4 and update to latest kernel. If it still doesn't work, the developers Kano, slh and kelmo will help you to get it going at http://kanotix.com.

Hmm guess I might just stick with windows. I'll install those drivers and if that doesn't work, oh well. Thanks for the help though!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast