Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Got Knoppix 5.0.1 successfully booting from USB key

my experience....

i was able to use these instructions to get my knoppix on a flash drive running:
    http://<a href="http://www.pendrivel...noppix-510</a>

and fine tune it using the information in this thread..

good stuff.....and thanks for the excellent information.

Re: my experience....

Quote Originally Posted by hvinelinux
    i was able to use these instructions to get my knoppix on a flash drive running:

Last night I was able to follow those instructions (the instructions on www.pendrivelinux.com) to create a Knoppix bootable USB drive & it worked... much to my surprise, the 1st time! It made a 750m partition & a second partition, the rest of the 4gig USB drive I used. Once booted from the USB, it sees the 2nd USB partition & the 2 NTFS partitions on my WinXP hard drive.

The only issue is that WindowsXP does not see the 2nd partition. The command from #11 in the instructions:

mkfs.ext2 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdx2

Formats the partition. I've tried modifing the command from #9:

mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sdx1
    to
    mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n usb /dev/sdx1

to make a FAT32 partition, but it doesn't appear to work.

I've searched this thread a bit but was unable to find what I'm looking for. All I want it to make the 2nd partition, about 3 gig, a FAT32 that Windows can read & write to. Is this possible?

TIA

Regards,
    Joe S.

Senior Member registered user

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinwar
    The only issue is that WindowsXP does not see the 2nd partition. ...
    I am not sure if this restriction is lifted for modern windows, but in the DOS days, only one primary partition per hard drive could be recognised. Try defining the rest of your disk as an extended partition, then allocate a logical vfat unit inside that (you'd thus be using sdx5 instead of sdx2).

booting worked but now I want to move to internal

On this same thread, I have a small ebox with no cdrom, but bootable via compact flash. I used the directions (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510) on my 1gb compact flash and it worked perfect.

I'm now booted into knoppix, and want to setup the OS on the internal 2gb embed disk. I thought I could do the same, so setup 2 partitions (hda1/2, each 1gb) transfered the info over to b, but realized I can't use the windows commands to setup the boot partition on hda1 so now I am stuck.

Basically I am asking, how do I setup hda1 to boot and run the OS w/o the need for the flash card.

Thanks.

Can't write to syslinux.cfg

Hi.
    Very good tutorial, I finally managed to boot Knoppix from my USB stick.

I'm stuck however at the part where I'm to fool Knoppix that USB is not a cdrom and that we should be able to write to it.
    I run root shell and typed in those commands:

mount -o remount,rw /cdrom
    mount --bind /cdrom /media/sdz4

Then when i typed in:

vi /media/sdz4/syslinux.cfg

I was only able to see the file (it's read-only). Same if I edit syslinux.cfg using KWrite it won't let me save the changes as it says:
    THe document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///cdrom/syslinux.cfg. Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.

It seems to me that I coulnd't let Knoppix follow my 2 "mount" commands and it still regards this file as read-only.

Can anybody help me out? I've browsed through those 10 pages of forum replies, but haven't found an answer.

Any tips much appreciated.
    Qlex

Hi,
    doesn't anybody have any solutions for the above described problem associated with "mount" commands? my usb is still recognized as cdrom and therefore i can't write to syslinux.cfg file.
    Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Qlex

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinwar
    Quote Originally Posted by hvinelinux

Last night I was able to follow those instructions (the instructions on www.pendrivelinux.com) to create a Knoppix bootable USB drive & it worked... much to my surprise, the 1st time! It made a 750m partition & a second partition, the rest of the 4gig USB drive I used. Once booted from the USB, it sees the 2nd USB partition & the 2 NTFS partitions on my WinXP hard drive.

The only issue is that WindowsXP does not see the 2nd partition. The command from #11 in the instructions:

mkfs.ext2 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdx2

Formats the partition. I've tried modifing the command from #9:

mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n usb /dev/sdx1
    to
    mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n usb /dev/sdx1

to make a FAT32 partition, but it doesn't appear to work.

I've searched this thread a bit but was unable to find what I'm looking for. All I want it to make the 2nd partition, about 3 gig, a FAT32 that Windows can read & write to. Is this possible?

TIA

Regards,
    Joe S.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirol
    I am not sure if this restriction is lifted for modern windows, but in the DOS days, only one primary partition per hard drive could be recognised. Try defining the rest of your disk as an extended partition, then allocate a logical vfat unit inside that (you'd thus be using sdx5 instead of sdx2).
    Windows will only read the first partition on a usb flash drive. There's a solution that involves tweaking the windows driver for the specific drive to make it treat it like a hard drive, but you have to remember that you can only use that on machines where you have administrative access, which is not the case in schools etc.
    I have no idea how Vista handles this, but it's probably safe to assume it will ignore the second partition too, just like all other windows...

The better solution is to create two partitions on the flash drive, make the first bootable, but only load it with the files from the boot directory from the knoppix cd/dvd (place them in the root of the partition), and put everything else in the 2nd partition. Your second partition only needs to be large enough for your knoppix image (and possbily the persistant image file, if you want to store it there).
    This way, not only is your first partition (i..e the data partition) available on all machines, but the second one is effectively protected from unwanted changes on most machines running windows (except for the one where you tweaked the driver).
    Lastly, you want to make all knoppix files on the first partition hidden and read only.

Bottom of page 9 has an older post with the instructions for doing this.

As for the mounting read/write issue:

if you use the dual partition system, only the knoppix image partition is locked to read only.
    all other partitions and drives can be changed from any level.

For the knoppix image partition:
    open root shell
    you can't umount this partition, and you don't need to bind cdrom to it, as it's already bound.
    just
    mount -o remount,rw,users /cdrom

once you have this partition set up, and your persistent image set up, you really don't need to touch it and can simply leave it locked to read only mode (which isn't really true, as it does make changes to the persistent image).

KAWill70.

Knoppix 5.1.1 on USB Drive

I installed Knoppix 5.1.1 per the instructions at the start of this thread.

It works beautifully except for one thing: I have to hit Carriage Return after the window appears during boot allowing me to use the Persistent Image. There are four choices in the Window.

I only have 10 seconds to hit CR, and the odd thing is that "OK" is already specified yet it is not accepted unless I hit carriage return. If I don't type CR the persistent image is not used.

I did make the specified edits to Syslinux.cfg.

The USB drive is 2 GB and is formatted with 64 cylinders and 32 sectors per track for USB-ZIP compatibility. It is set up as Partition 4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kent

Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 on USB Drive

Quote Originally Posted by KAWill70.
    I installed Knoppix 5.1.1 per the instructions at the start of this thread.

It works beautifully except for one thing: I have to hit Carriage Return after the window appears during boot allowing me to use the Persistent Image. There are four choices in the Window.

I only have 10 seconds to hit CR, and the odd thing is that "OK" is already specified yet it is not accepted unless I hit carriage return. If I don't type CR the persistent image is not used.

I did make the specified edits to Syslinux.cfg.

The USB drive is 2 GB and is formatted with 64 cylinders and 32 sectors per track for USB-ZIP compatibility. It is set up as Partition 4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kent
    Maybe you need to get off the typwriter?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910