Thread: Dual Boot Of Windows XP And Knoppix From Hard Drive

Dual Boot Of Windows XP And Knoppix From Hard Drive

I am rather new at this sort of thing. I have managed to install knoppix to my hardrive on a seperate partition without any problems. However when i turn my computer on it displays a list of operating systems, it gives the choice of knoppix or of windows, and knoppix is first. It selects this to boot from after 5 seconds. How would i go about changing it to have windows as the first choice? (there is nothing in the bios for windows about the choices because i have already checked) Thanks

Junior Member registered user
    You need to go to /boot/grub/menu.lst where you can change all the boot options. You will probably need to do this as root. Each option is self explanitory but read carefully and make sure you understand it all before changing anything. It should automatically make a backup of your original. You might want to upgrade to Kanotix which is Knoppix designed for a hard drive install.

As i said im a rookie. Any tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I can cope with windows but wen it comes to linux.... lol. Thanks for the tip about kanotix. Ill definately look into it!!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by 03myersd
    Thanks for the tip about kanotix. Ill definately look into it!!
    If you're actually taking advice about a Knoppix install (most people who decide to do it will not), then see this. whoeverheis is correct that Kanotix is designed to avoid the problems that Knoppix has long been known to have, but I really have not heard any good reason for installing it instead of Debian etch (the distro that Knoppix is based on) and then installing exactly the applications that you want, picking from all included with Knoppix, with Kanotix and tens of thousands more, all cleanly installable with the apt-get system. If you're considering instaling something other than Knoppix, consider installing Debian etch (or another distro intended for hard disk install) rather than a Live CD with many packages that you didn't select.

Looks like thats what ill be doing then. Now all i need is to figure out how to uninstall knoppix......

Senior Member registered user
    Now all i need is to figure out how to uninstall knoppix......
    You don't have to. Just download Kanotix-2006-Easter-RC4.iso, burn it to cd, boot your computer off the cd and run Kanotix installer from the Kanotix menu. The installer will find the partitions used by Knoppix (/ and swap) and install Kanotix on them. Kanotix also comes with the grub boot loader, so you will be able to dual boot WinXP and Kanotix.

Perfect!! Thanks everyone for all your help. Im just off to get the image! Thanks!