Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its all in german!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by sideburns
    Clearly, it's almost impossible to do or you would have pointed me to a download site instead of a faq that doesn't help.
    No, you just don't get it. I'm glad to provide help here, but not to just provide a link for someone too lazy to read the information already compiled and well organized. I seldom provide links when the link is already in the faq, I would much rather teach someone how to find the information themselves so that the next ten times they want to know something they can find it themselves, not ask for another link. That's why I pointed you to answer #1, the writeup in the link that I did give explained how to find the wiki and the downloading faq in the wiki rather than just give you a link to the downloading faq, you shouldn't have to post for another link when you want to know something else, you should know how to find the wiki. The downloading faq gave you the information that you would need to get a new copy, and a lot other very important information too, but you don't want to read it, you want a link. There is a link right in front of you before you even get to the downloading faq, but you don't want to read or think, you just want to be treated like a baby. I really think you should go get that Gnomix and forget about Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Look, luser, I've been working with computers since 1968, probably since before you were born and I know how to read. I saw no such links in the download faq, and read it several times to make sure. However, this is all redundant now. I posted a question in a newsgroup, and somebody politely gave me the pointer I needed. Now, I'll download it, try it and see if it's been worth all the trouble you've put me through.

Oh, and by the way, I checked the wiki and found its "search function" doesn't search the wiki, it just re-directs to Google, something I can do without its "help."

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by sideburns
    Look, luser, I've been working with computers since 1968, probably since before you were born and I know how to read. I saw no such links in the download faq, and read it several times to make sure. However, this is all redundant now. I posted a question in a newsgroup, and somebody politely gave me the pointer I needed. Now, I'll download it, try it and see if it's been worth all the trouble you've put me through.
    The links you want are mentioned in Downloading FAQ, Question 2.
    (The Unix-AG BitTorrent Tracker and The Knoppix Download Page are both mentioned in Question 2.)

And what file to download is mentioned in same FAQ, Question 1.

Banned
    I have the 2006-06-01-EN.iso file
    the systems are running

they are "mostly" in german
    if you pick the wrong thing to try to do, you get german menus

if I start at

Knoppix - Settings - Desktop Settings Wizard
    it starts in german, as the top of the language list is Deutsch

changing the language is fine
    if I run it again, it starts in german, again
    if i reboot the system, again, this menu is in german

this is more noticed and a pain if you log out
    the login screen is in german

some things are hard to get the apply/ok button to STICK.

Member registered user
    heya i downloaded the knoppix from the same site as side burns and mine is in english. i even installed it to the harddrive in less than 30 minutes. when i first loged into it it was infact in german but its not hard to change that by cliking on the lil flag at the bottom of the right hand corner on the screen and selecting the american/english flag for ENGLISH. and if someone who has been working with computers since 1968 cant figure that out and i can and i have been working with computers for 2 years, thats pretty sad.

Banned
    the little flag will change the keyboard layout for the desktop
    the user log in screen is controlled from the Konqueror setup wizard
    at the moment it won't stick a change and keeps resetting

the prob is there is too many places where the language part needs setting and too many programs are not using the lang=US flag that is set at boot up
    then they use the first language at the top of the drop down list of languages
    and Deutsch is the first option

plus, when you then find a 'new' place that it needs setting in, you have to figure out how to change it again
    as the menus are in german, again

having said that, i am starting to think i might re-do my install as i think some part as gone, the part that remembers
    and some peoples say it is fixed easy
    but my system isnt fixing. it just might be me .......

Member registered user
    man at least ur system worx. mine every time i do a command it says it cant connect to x server. what the hell is x server. im begining not to like linux right now. it confuses me sooooo bad. like i said this is my first week or two of linux. im having bad luck i guess

Banned
    x server is the underlying vga desktop driver thingy that makes the desktop run
    it's a big pain for a winoze user when it doesn't work but it IS doable
    and the exercise of getting it to work again will teach you a little about the layout of the linux box

start at
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I think)

but read a few/cpl of the helps on getting it to work
    i got to go workies, sorry, back later ......
    chin up, it does suck at first, but it's getting better. Boinc is faster

Member registered user
    i dont know if you haveread my other threads or not of how much linux i dont know. i killed my system once already using photorec and it wrote over 28.8GB of free space with old files from the HDD. lol but i fixed it. took forever and a half. i have a new thread up named understanding man pages. cuz i have no clue how to understand those. some of the options and way they explain them is crazy. lol. any way thanx for the encouragement. its completly differnt from windows and i am a very logical person. every thing has to be explained to me step by step and every little function has to be explained to me or i dont understand it. liek why are there " in some commands. any way i lok forward to becoming a "ethical hacker" lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast