Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Its all in german!

Banned
    I just did a new install
    it's nicely in english
    the login screen is english

so i went through the things i had done previously to see where it failed
    and i think i got my problem sorted (waiting for a reboot)

Knoppix
    Control Center
    System Administration
    Login Manager

when you change the auto-login thingy for a user, it is easy to miss the Lamguage drop down with the blank line

dang time zone won't stay put yet

Member registered user
    lol, yeah. thats the first thing i do when i install knoppix to harddsik is go to that menu and change every thing to english. yeah my time zone does the same and then when it decides to stay it stays in militery time so i cant read it. well i can i just dont like it. lol im glad you figured it out. i dont know why i never mentioned it b4 about the whole control center.

Junior Member registered user
    Well it actually took a page and a half before someone actually posted a link to a download site rather than making us run around the houses. Thanks malaire

This enabled me to confirm that I had downloaded the correct ISO with EN in it.

The boot and initial KDE is in english but as soon as I start using it I'd better have a working knowlege of German!

Half the software is german. Eg netzwerkkarte when I run netcardconfig ; sysinit to start cupsd is in German. Does not matter because it's all seriously broken.

Seems the Debian refusal to answer a straight question is live and kicking but the famous Debian rigour is missing.

Now refer to the Knoppix remastering guide to find out how to remaster the rest of the CD to get the software into English as well.

No, I wont post a link to the guide , you'll have to go an find it your self . Welcome to Debain.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppu
    Well it actually took a page and a half before someone actually posted a link to a download site rather than making us run around the houses. Thanks malaire ......

No, I wont post a link to the guide , you'll have to go an find it your self . Welcome to Debain.
    Actually I posted a link that told how to find the downloading faq on the first page. If you're too good to read the faq and benefit from all of the information in it that has proved important over time, then why are you not smart enough to just use the "Get Knoppix" link near the top of every page in this forum? Excuse me for actually wanting to explain to people how to use the forums and the wiki and to at least point them to critical information they are likely to need after downloading the file, rather than just giving them a link and then watching when they make all of the rookie mistakes covered in the faq.

>>Actually I posted a link that told how to find the downloading faq on the first page.
    A link to a how to with a link to a faq with a link to what was requested.

well if the link at the top was so obvious you would not have to draw anyone's attention to it, smart or not. Maybe if it was labelled "download" it may get noticed more. (Just a suggestion)

It's a clear indication of the attitude that you display every time you post. Posters have asked over and over very explicitly for a link in this thread and you refuse point blank. It is now, in the third page of posts that you accuse us of not being "smart" enough to spot the link and not be distracted by the paper-chase of information you propose instead of a direct answer.

You could have posted : see link at the top of this page for downloads , I suggest you read this, this and this link first.

Your reply is you WILL read this and this and then this, if you read it all and followed it carefully you should be able to answer your own question but I'm not going to. If you dont do what I say then I'm not going to help you.

Many will find that condecending and obstructive not helpful.

well if the link at the top was so obvious you would not have to draw anyone's attention to it, smart or not. Maybe if it was labelled "download" it may get noticed more. (Just a suggestion)
    Actualy, that link is pretty obvious and most people find it just fine. Of course, there are those who don't and just demand that people post direct links for them, but I'm already directing people's attention to that top line of links to find the Documentation link, if they read past the "Get Knoppix" link and don't grasp the concept I don't feel too bad about it; the FAQ will still tell them where to find the files and give them other important information too, assuming they are willing to read it. And in this case, if you look again at the subject line of this thread, the question wasn't really about where to get the ISO, it was about the English vs. German ISO. Just giving someone a link to the download page wouldn't explain the differences, but the differences are already explained in the Downloading FAQ.

As to the wording of the Get Knoppix link, I don't control that (the site owner does), but I think it's better the way it is. Since the page contains not only information about downloading but also information about ordering (something I personally warn against for quality reasons), Get is a more appropriate term than Download. It also clutters the line less and should be better understood by visitors with limited English.

It's a clear indication of the attitude that you display every time you post. Posters have asked over and over very explicitly for a link in this thread and you refuse point blank. It is now, in the third page of posts that you accuse us of not being "smart" enough to spot the link and not be distracted by the paper-chase of information you propose instead of a direct answer.
    Wow, I'm pretty impressed that you have every one of my posts at this site to make such a blanket statement. Yes, I generally don't give a link directly to the faq when I can instead tell people to look at the top of the page and use the Documentation link to find the faq instead, although I do give plenty of links when telling someone how to find the wiki isn't appropriate. I was posting the same information over and over again, often multiple times a day, and sometimes didn't even respond to a poster rquesting help because I just didn't have time to write the information requested yet again, so I made sure that the commonly requested information was in the wiki and started referring people there. This is much faster and cleaner and helps keep the often requested information in one easy to find place. I still found that I was spending a lot of time explaining the wiki to people or duplicating other common information, so I set up my own user page in the wiki (as any wiki contributor can do) and put the information of using the wiki, the downloading faq, and lots more things that I was saying over and over again there. I do give a link right to that page, I don't "make people hunt for it". But I'm not going to just give a link to the ISO when myself and several other have spent a lot of time and effort in putting together good documentation on not only how to get it but how to avoid very common problems after you have a copy. If people are not willing to follow the simple instructions and actually learn how to look stuff up for themselves, well then they can just ignore my post and keep whining in the forums that someone has to give them a link directly to what they demand at the moment, they are no worse of than they would be if I hadn't tried to tell them how to help themselves.

And as to your use of the work "us", let me make it clear that I wasn't trying to insult everyone here. I was trying to insult you.

Your reply is you WILL read this and this and then this, if you read it all and followed it carefully you should be able to answer your own question but I'm not going to. If you dont do what I say then I'm not going to help you.

Many will find that condecending and obstructive not helpful.
    That's your take on it, but my take on it is that rather than give small snippits of some information in each post, I put the effort into making the FAQs and other content of the wiki as complete and accurate as it can be and then I tell users where they can find that information when they ask. Yes, I don't spend a lot of time responding to each post with the same information rehashed just for that post. If someone whines and says "don't give me a nice complete FAQ, I demand a link to a file", I'm not very inclined to help them further. And I even hope that by telling someone to look at the documentation link at the top of the page to get to the wiki and read the downloading faq, they might notice that there is other documentation there and not have to post for another link and wait for someone to post back to them again the next time they have a question already covered in the wiki.

You characterise my providing instructions on where to find all of the needed information as somehow being arogant and demanding that people do as I say. That's an interesting take on it. Since we're sharing our impressions of each other, let me say that you come across as a whining person who seems to demand that everything be given to him and that people are expected to change things to suit him. You have been here one day, yet you choose to to post things like "Seems the Debian refusal to answer a straight question is live and kicking but the famous Debian rigour is missing" and "No, I wont post a link to the guide , you'll have to go an find it your self . Welcome to Debain". Even the Get Knoppix link isn't to your liking. And on top of all of that, you're dead wrong. I've used netcardconfig from the EN Knoppix many many times, and I've never had it respond to me in German, it is always English. Perhaps it's just detecting your arrogance and giving you a hard time.

>>Perhaps it's just detecting your arrogance and giving you a hard time.

Of course anyone who does not bow down before your condecending self importance and dares to critisise would by definition be arrogant wouldn't they?

if knoppix was trying to give a hard time it's yet more breakage. I speak reasonably good German and it was an interesting refresher.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Well it actually took a page and a half before someone actually posted a link to a download site rather than making us run around the houses. Thanks malaire ......

Actually I posted a link that told how to find the downloading faq on the first page.
    actually, you quoted a link to your fairly standard listing of obvious answers to your observations
    and in bright bold are the letters download faq
    which aren't linked to anything
    so, as he said, a link to the faq so that new users don't have to go through every option would be really nice.
    as every option in linux is very long and usually doesn't answer any question being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by marhleet
    which aren't linked to anything.
    Agreed. I don't give links to the downloading faq and I don't intend to. I tell people how to find it, which is basically telling them that there is a link marked Documentation near the top of that page and every other page in the forum and the wiki , that link takes them to the wiki and the Downloading faq link is extremely easy to find; it is in several places including the very first link under "Main Page". I actually did give links in the past, but people would then post another question for something else covered in detail in the wiki and wait for someone to give them another link; I would much rather try to teach people how to find the wiki than keep feeding them links. And quite frankly, those who want to complain that I say "click on the Documentation link near the top of this page" and demand that I type "Click here" instead of just moving their pointer up an inch or two and clicking are those who I don't wish to help, so it's win-win for me. I certainly have posted many links to other things, but when there is already a Documentation link near the top of the page, I'm not going to copy it into my response or bypass the wiki main page to let people avoid seeing it and save one click. If people knew where the wiki was they wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place. Heck, for me to get a link to the downloading faq to copy into my response I would have click on Documentation and then on Download. Why should I be expected to do that for someone whining that it's too complex for them to do? (Rhetorical question.)

You could have posted : see link at the top of this page for downloads , I suggest you read this, this and this link first.
    Apparently you'd rather argue about it than actually help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123