Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP KNOPPIX Installation - DUAL BOOT with XP

Junior Member registered user

Hi

Hi, I alrweady downloaded a CD copy fo the knoppix installer. I couldnt find the Boot.img file that I needed to create the bootable floppy. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME TO do the step by step procedure to make the BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK.. I needed it for my laptop doesnt have a bootable CD drive. I only have the USB CD drive. Please help....... Otherwise, can someone please just email to me a ZIP copy of the bootable disk.... THanks...

Administrator Site Admin-
    See the downloading faq; use Smart Boot Manager (SBM) on a floppy rather than a Knoppix boot floppy. It not only will work and solve this problem, but it will let you boot any other Live CD also. (The old Knoppix boot floppy approach only worked for the version of Knoppix that it was created for.)
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Hi

Could anyone please just help me where to get it or how to do it, instead of reading back agin to the forums. For i have tried looking and could not found. I just wanted to start doing the knoppix installation now. Please!!

If anybody has a copy, kindly just send me zip copy to ccabatotan AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks....

Senior Member registered user

Re: Hi

Quote Originally Posted by technogeekchris
    Could anyone please just help me where to get it or how to do it, instead of reading back agin to the forums. For i have tried looking and could not found. I just wanted to start doing the knoppix installation now. Please!!

If anybody has a copy, kindly just send me zip copy to ccabatotan AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks....
    Check out http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...t_Boot_Manager
    I think you need to use the DOS-version for Windows XP as there are no Windows-versions listed.

Anyway, Knoppix installation is not recommended. Maybe you should consider some other Linux Distribution like Ubuntu?

UNABLE TO SEE CD ROM

HI, I booted from the floppy on SBM but when SBM starte, THE CD ROM DRIVE WAS NOT DETECTED i can only see floppy and the 3 partitions I have created. HOW CAN I SEE THE CD ROM DRIVE.. My CD ROM IS A TEAC USB CD DRIVE... Please help so I can start the installation. THANKS...

hi

Anybody please help... how to detect my USB CD drive TEAC from SBM...

Can i just make a FAT partition and copy the KNOPPIS CD installer from there and select that partition from SBM to boot from there? is this possible... plese help...

Re: hi

I'm sorry but I don't really know about that.
    Maybe SBM just doesn't support your USB CD drive?

Still, if you have access to another computer, you could try starting Knoppix on that computer. Then you could create the boot-floppies from Knoppix. (Once Knoppix has started, click on the penguin-icon on bottom-left of the screen and select Utilities->Create bootfloppies for KNOPPIX)

I'd still suggest some other distro than Knoppix, but if you can't boot from the USB CD drive, then I'm not sure if you could install e.g. Ubuntu either.

ps. What Knoppix version you have?

Re: hi

Actually, I just found this help from here:

When the Smart Boot Manager's menu appears, choose the menu option with "CDROM" in it, and press Enter. (don't think you need to install SBM to the HD - you can, but you don't need to.) If the CDROM option does not appear in your boot menu, press tab to see the Smart Boot Manager options and choose Rescan all boot records. The CDROM drive should now appear in your boot menu.

EDIT: That page also says SBM also does not appear to recognize external USB cdrom drives...

any other ways

Hi, if it does not support USB CD drive, is there any other way to detect it. I want to try knoppix floppy boot disk. Can anyone just please send me acopy for i could not find it anywhere. I dotn want to touch my other machine. This is my first tym to install LINUX.

Re: any other ways

Hi, if it does not support USB CD drive, is there any other way to detect it. I want to try knoppix floppy boot disk. Can anyone just please send me acopy for i could not find it anywhere. I dotn want to touch my other machine. This is my first tym to install LINUX.
    What Knoppix-version you have? You need to tell that first before anyone could send you the boot-disks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast