View Poll Results: Should this post to pick the "Best" Linux distro out of a list of only 5 that lacks Debian

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a great post, look, a pretty chart!

0 0%
  • It's about Linux, so it's on topic, leave it.

3 42.86%
  • Pick the "best" Linux from a list of only 5? And best for what? Looks like spam to draw views to another site.

4 57.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Top Distros.....(linux/BSD)

Junior Member registered user
    The Orion Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Local Group of the Virgo Super Cluster

The Top Distros.....(linux/BSD)

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    That's funny somehow. If I had to guess, months ago when you started posting your distro-hopping experiences, I would not have even thought of Knoppix.

But that's cool. I'm with you on Ubuntu and Dreamlinux. Personally, I think DL has the potential to mature into a very strong distro.

I'll have to look closer at Knoppix and Sabayon, since they come with such strong endorsements. ...
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    I am reinstalling Sabayon...I miss the bling...

I honestly believe Sabayon will be the distro to put OS X and windows to shame....Sabayon is the first serious Linux OS contender....Dreamlinux is nice also but isn't quite there yet....they will be soon...

The thing with Sabayon is you really need the latest and greatest in hardware and lots of space....this is why the future belongs to Sabayon....

If you want to see the future of operating systems try Sabayon today...

If you want to see what OS X could be if it was GNU + Linux try Dreamlinux....

If you want unrivaled reliability, a true technical gem in the Linux world stick with Knoppix.

If you want a reliable OS, with a wonderful community, stick with Ubuntu.

If you want to dabble in BSD, then try PC-BSD.

1. Sabayon Linux

2. Dreamlinux

3. Knoppix

4. Ubuntu

5. PC-BSD

__________________________________________________ __________________________
    The following poll will be posted in multiply forums to get better percentages:

The Top Distros (Linux/BSD) are listed below; which do you like the best or
    feel has the most potential?
    (click an item to vote, you can make multiple choices)

[*]Sabayon Linux
    [*]Dreamlinux
    [*]Knoppix
    [*]Ubuntu
    [*]PC-BSD

The Orion Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Local Group of the Virgo Super Cluster
    the above pie graph is a static image....

here are the current results(image may not be postable in this forum, so you may have to link to the image)

http://polls.detrave.net/display.php...&bg=626262&p=1

Senior Member registered user
    What is this thread about?

Which is the best Linux? Then vote for 1 of these 5? And 14.3% = 1 vote by simple analysis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drb

Which is the best Linux? Then vote for 1 of these 5? And 14.3% = 1 vote by simple analysis!!!
    Interesting perspective....Knoppix is my favorite and my primary OS.....

what is this about?

This is about a guy who loves to test distros 60+

and has come up with a list...of the top 5 distros,....based on what? based on hardware preformance....

I test on two different computers, an older computer and a newer computer,...with advanced hardware....

Debian was not included because Debian will not work on my new computer, Ubuntu won't either so why include Ubuntu? because Ubuntu works on my older computer...subjectivity is the key here.....

this is not meant to be a set standard of any sort...

this isn't meant to be spam (which I consider the worst and most insultive word on a forum) this coming from a guy who runs his own Linux Portal, which includes a Linux Forum....(I also happen to be a mod on Ubuntuforums)...which I constantly post how great Knoppix is and not one word of spam...I guess this is a difference in community?

here take a look at how the Ubuntu community welcomes a thread dedicated to Knoppix
    Title: "I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+]"
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=262529

now as far as the spam assertion in the poll I find a bit offensive especially how I have constantly recommended and refered Knoppix.

to see what I am about go to the non-profit foundation I have started: http://cafelinux.org/

I still like knoppix and always will,....my apologies for not being more active in the community here but I have been busy...

cheers

yozef

again the above image is static....I posted a link for you to see the most recent results....

here's an image of where things stand now:

Why is Ubuntu being singled out? Knoppix and Dreamlinux are both also based on Debian, both are on the list....the assertion in the Poll title makes NO sense.

It saddens me greatly to find the forum community of my favorite distro to be so unwelcoming....I even promote Knoppix on The cafelinux.org homepage.....sadly I find this...very sad

I'd try Kanotix if you say "Debian" doesn't work on your computer. I haven't found one computer it doesn't work on in two years from PIII upwards. It's Debian with better hardware detection.

I used to think Knoppix for LiveCD use and Kanotix for a hard drive install but I now use Kanotix for both. These are all developments and Knoppix was the seed for many distros to start, and improve, from the original. What is 'improvement' - for some it's Kanotix, for some it's Ubuntu etc. - both very different so defining the 'best' is difficult as peoples' requirements are so different.

I'd try Kanotix if you say "Debian" doesn't work on your computer. I haven't found one computer it doesn't work on in two years from PIII upwards. It's Debian with better hardware detection.

I used to think Knoppix for LiveCD use and Kanotix for a hard drive install but I now use Kanotix for both. These are all developments and Knoppix was the seed for many distros to start, and improve, from the original. What is 'improvement' - for some it's Kanotix, for some it's Ubuntu etc. - both very different so defining the 'best' is difficult as peoples' requirements are so different.
    This is the third recommendation for Kanotix....so I will difinately try this....I am also going to try the most recent Debian version, I hope it works I have heard great reviews about Etch

About the "is this spam" poll

About the "is this spam" poll:
    I didn't find any of the options good-enough so I couldn't vote on it.

About the "Top Distro" poll:

IMHO this is on-topic and is not spam.

At the same time I feel that the original poll was presented wrongly. The information given in 4th message in this thread, about how these distros were selected, should've been in the first message. In that case I wouldn't have anything against this.

But now I felt offended with such a strange selection of "5 Top Distros".

Re: About the "is this spam" poll

Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    About the "is this spam" poll:

But now I felt offended with such a strange selection of "5 Top Distros".
    LOL,....the top five listed are not meant to please everybody and are completely subjective....

at most I had hoped to inspire discourse on the subject matter of Linux Distros.....

For the most part in most forums this has been succesful

It is of course better where people know me well and can accept and appreciate my quarks(strangeness)...

I will become more active overall in Knoppix Forums, since I really like Knoppix a lot....I have mostly turned to my Knoppix Hacks book when I needed help and for the most part Knoppix is so easy to use there isn't much I haven't been able to just figure out....

I have come across a lot of Distros that I like that are based on (or atleast in part) on Knoppix

ie: Kinneret, Musix, Dreamlinux, Xplora, Quantian, etc, etc (I am sure I may have forgotten one or two?)

I tried Kanotix and was very disappointed, It is basically Knoppix that doesn't work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast