Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant get Knoppix to boot

Senior Member registered user

knoppix 5.0.1 probs Resolved

Just to put some closure to my input in this thread.

Some one on another site pointed out that when v5.0.1 was originally released on mag discs, there was indeed config errors associated with the iso. But they were later fixed. And as my image was from a mag published soon after the release ... i probably had one of those initial images.

It does tend to explain the sharp contrast with different peoples experiance ... So, i can live with that now (grin)

jm

Administrator Site Admin-
    I don't accept this answer. There was 5.0, released officially only in German at TAG. It was released under deadline pressure for the show and there were a lot of bugs. 5.01 was released on the Internet and there have been no fixes or changes for it (although they certainly are needed). If some mag released something different that they called 5.01 then it's a huge disservice to the community to suggest that 5.01 was released this way. I have never heard of such a magazine release though and doubt that it happened.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

>>
    I have never heard of such a magazine release though and doubt that it happened.
    >>

==============================================

Linux Magazine ...

issue 70 September 2006

Label on the disc is 'knoppix 5.0'

Though the version string in,

'/media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/knoppix-version'

states 'knoppix 5.0.1 2006-06-01'

File Date:
    /media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    21 May 2006
    2,127,783,608 bytes

md5sum:
    1a87162a1f8da9400116bd4cf7b0733d

File Date:
    /media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2
    21 May 2006
    1,699,790,344 bytes

md5sum:
    3ab47a29a9367820e89cd9805f76da0f

Printed in Germany, published by Linux New Media Ltd, Manchester England. Registered in England.

www-linux-magazine.com

with ,com.au, .ca, .co.uk alternates.

==============================================

I think the post is quite clear really.
    It suggests that one of those initial images may have found its' way onto such a mag disc. As a possibility. I can't really verify that. But as for bugs ... yes, it does.

And frankly, i don't think i really 'accept' the tone of your response either.

Personally i would have tended to request further clarification instead.

jm

Junior Member registered user
    ya dude im having the same knoppix booting problem and nothing is fixing it. it was suggested that because my board is newer, its probably not compatable with it yet. i also have a board that is c2duo compatatble (i have a pentium d). thats the only thing that makes sense to me. i have tried countles ways, motherboards, cd drives, dvd drives, ram, multiple burns, multuple downloads, many many cheat codes, and even ubuntu and backtrack. i think that we will just have to wait for a newer version that supports our hardware, i hope it is soon

Howdy,

>>
    c2duo
    >>

You lost me there, but i can see a google coming up. And as usual,

>>
    im having the same knoppix booting problem and nothing is fixing it.
    >>

elaboration does tend to help, but i think our problems are fundamentally different.

I wasn't having a booting problem as such. It was a problem mainly with getting the 'home=' cli option to pass correctly. Whether it was pointed at the hdd partition by device name or directory name, it would always bypass the option. Other issues were on a more minor level, but irritating none the less.

The 'myconfig=' cli option would work though, so my eventual work around was to edit the associated 'knoppix.sh' script to mount the knoppix.img file and copy it over to ram from its' mount. But eventually i just started using the configs.tbz file instead. Not just to configure 'home' but also TZ and language settings, along with X.

Kde also, wouldn't offer to save a knoppix.img to a hdd partition as well. But xfce4 would.

Curiously, there are differences between the knoppix-autoconfig files between v4 and v5, but nothing that would seem to reflect why. At least from what i've been able to detect in the limited time windows that iv'e had to look at it.

The hdd install also required considerable tweaking to stabilise as well (grin). All that doesn't really worry me though, as i saw it as at least an opportunity to trace out why. And that actually hasn't been achieved as yet.

But at least i got a degree of confirmation, in that it seems there was a buggy image available initially at release time. Which i can only assume, was the one i was using (grin).

As your mentioning an iso burn, i figure our issues are probably quite different though. Even with burned images, there does seem to be a contrast of experiences among the posts, possibly all hw issues. Or burn issues. It isn't always very clear.

My image, as stated, was from a magazine disc. So burn a issue would n't apply. And i must say, i take issue with the insulting alludation in HKs' post above.

You mention Ubuntu ... you have problems booting that ! ... It would be curious to know just what it is about your board that may/may not, be behind that.

In any case Good Luck

jm

Junior Member registered user
    i went out and actually bought a new board to see if that was the problem, and ive swapped out all my other hardware except ram, but its corsair so i dont kno how that could be the issue. just tried dsl too and it does not work as well

Banned
    if you've got a magazine cd/dvd
    i'd bet it was burnt mass produced
    at maximum speed for nearly zero cost

download the iso
    md5 check it
    burn it slow in a cd-r
    knoppix testcd it

then get back to us

marhleet ... Howdy,

Well yes, the disc would have been mass produced, but it would have likely been a pressing i think, a rom process, probably burnt to a glass master then pressed. I'm not fully sure there. I don't think they do a burn as such though.

And considering that mags will collate their publications and begin the production process well in time before the issue date, i figure they must have had one of the initial iso images. It has been a funny year my end, for mag disc issues (grin)

But i'm not really concerned there. As it basically just quirks up the persistant knoppix.img facility. If anything, it provided ... or rather, forced, an interesting trace exercise. An is workable by customising the knoppix.sh. Besides, i'm a bit bandwidth limited anyway (grin).

I was trying to get some confirmation, or feed back on just what the reason may have been though. To get some clarification on just what may have been going on. Which i have been able to get . Thus the 'closure' post.

Certainly an extensive release, around 11 Gbs on the hdd which surprised me.

=============================================

Howdy donkeyass,

Just looked at some google links for 'c2duo'

http://www.bytesatwork.be/shop/produ...0&cat=0&page=1

Which is on a Asus board with c2duo support. I've got a Asus A8V Delux .. not a bad board really, but i have seen post complaining about some aspects, such as pata and something else i can't remember being problematic in Linux. But that was over 12 mounths ago. I haven't had any problem with it but then i don't use much of its' facillities. Just the ide controllers. lm-sensors, in its' config, did mention that the chipset used for the sensors feed back facility was one of those that they had to work on, and do a bit of guessing with. As Asus wasn't that keen on providing clear specs for it. But that still works fine.

I don't like the obvious MS bias that Asus seem to have either. I won't be doing Asus next time thats for sure ... Tyan maybe, as iv'e read a few posts that seem to give them a good Linux recommendation. Will look closer there myself next time (grin).

You didn't actually mention the board your using ... an the google link above rattles on about the benifits of using only 'Genuine MS' products. Which gets my antennas twitching.

There wouldn't be some issue with the pentium dual core processor or the board would there, in that respect. I guess it would be more likely a board issue (chipset lock down ?) rather than the processor. But considering MS, and in light of this Novell scam that they have instigated ... i wouldn't be surprised about anything that lot come up with anymore (grin).

What is the actual board ?, but then you say ...

>>
    and even ubuntu and backtrack
    >>

There's your clincher ...

You don't mention anything on just what the kind of problem was/is though. And for the ubuntu attempt as well.

Running 'memtest' on the ram should verify that at least.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

jm

As posted in other Kpix-forum , the problem seems to be exclusive for new mobos based on Q965 Intel Chipsets (more precisely, all using ICH8 Sata controllers). As I learn in other Linux sites, the chipset which controls the PATA / IDE devices is unsupported by Linux Kernell versions older than 2.6.18 (itself included). I came here to see a Linux distro with Kernel 2.6.19 and Distrowatch said Knoppix 5.01 where one of then... But this discussion says not, the problem with these chipsets (Marvell and JMicron, used in Intel and Asus /Gigabyte boards) is not solved.
    Buaaaaaaaaah....
    f

I've got my '_mag_' 5.0.1 on the hdd at the moment, the kernel is ...

Code:
    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17
    The config is there in /boot as well. That could be rematered, though on another machine.

jm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast