Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Time Trouble Booting to the Live CD...

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by hanktank
    command prompt ?????
    The "boot" prompt on the Knoppix splash screen would be the correct place to enter the cheatcode(s). That would be present for a short time before the system continues to boot. You can also press one of several "F" keys for help at that same screen. You would not be booting into Windows if you were running Knoppix from the disk. There could be other cheatcodes that might apply to your hardware and configuration that you might need to use also, but your present issue sounds like a DMA or media concern.

Junior Member registered user
    Ok, When I reinstalled Windows, of course I lost everything that I hadn't backed up. I had already made the Knoppix Cd, so that is why I can't reburn it. Unless it would be ok to burn another cd from this one, but I don't know if that would work. Copy of a copy, you know. I will look at the damn small linux. Thank you!

If the CD you have is corrupted, then making a copy of it would not help. Try the nodma cheatcode to see if it eliminates the issue.

Administrator Site Admin-
    It could be a marginal optical drive, it could be bad media, but there is a good chance that you burnt the disc at high speed and just burning it properly as advised in the downloading FAQ will resolve things.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    It could be a marginal optical drive, it could be bad media, but there is a good chance that you burnt the disc at high speed and just burning it properly as advised in the downloading FAQ will resolve things.

Yes the CD might be bad, I have had it working, but I ordered a DVD, with 5.0.1 on it also. So, I don't believe the DVD and the Cd both are bad because I have had them both working when I hard boot sometimes. Thanks

I hope I am downloading the right version of damnsmalllinux it says: in the download box dsl-3.0-vmx-zip if I am and it is a zip file do I unzip it before I burn it on the CD or is it self contained? Thanks for the help.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Yes the CD might be bad, I have had it working, but I ordered a DVD, with 5.0.1 on it also. So, I don't believe the DVD and the Cd both are bad because I have had them both working when I hard boot sometimes. Thanks
    Actually, if you ordered the DVD then my expectation is almost 100% that the DVD is bad. If you bought a pressed DVD (silver bottom), then it might be ok, but if it's a dye DVD (usually a purple bottom) then I completely expect that those trying to profit from others work have burned the disc at a high speed and it is very likely bad or marginal. And you didn't respond as to what speed you burnt the CD at, so my expectation is still a bad high speed burn. If you choose not to believe this that's ok with me.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Actually, if you ordered the DVD then my expectation is almost 100% that the DVD is bad. If you bought a pressed DVD (silver bottom), then it might be ok, but if it's a dye DVD (usually a purple bottom) then I completely expect that those trying to profit from others work have burned the disc at a high speed and it is very likely bad or marginal. And you didn't respond as to what speed you burnt the CD at, so my expectation is still a bad high speed burn. If you choose not to believe this that's ok with me.
    I didn't say that I chose not to believe this, and as far as the speed I burnt it at, I didn't respond to that because I do not recall what speed I burnt it at. In any case, I ran the Knoppix testdvd and testcd on both of them, as I said earlier, would the CD and the DVD still be bad if the test came back ok on both of them? Or is the test just no good?
    And the DVD that I bought, the bottom of it is purple. And if you like, you can send me a DVD, I wouldn't mind.
    Thanks

I hope I am downloading the right version of damnsmalllinux it says: in the download box dsl-3.0-vmx-zip if I am and it is a zip file do I unzip it before I burn it on the CD or is it self contained?
    Unzip it, then burn.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    I hope I am downloading the right version of damnsmalllinux it says: in the download box dsl-3.0-vmx-zip if I am and it is a zip file do I unzip it before I burn it on the CD or is it self contained?
    Unzip it, then burn.
    thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast