Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.

Member registered user
    Yep, the problem is that I wouldn't want someone running netcat or nmap on one of the public workstations. I realize that nothing is %100 secure, and that if they wanted someone could install to the ramdisk, but I was just thinking it would be cool to make a kiosk knoppix that we could pop into the public access machines with only a browser, office suite, and maybe a few educational apps. Knoppix just brings us one step closer to a bullet proof public access workstation.
    I've havent tried morphix yet, but I'm addicted to Knoppix. I've handed out more copies than I've kept.

Senior Member registered user
    As a derivative of KNOPPIX, MORPHIX is very nice if you want to customize your CD but don't have all the resources necessary for a full-blown remaster.

MORPHIX is modular. It comes with a base system which is very small and contains just enough to boot up and auto detect just like KNOPPIX. Then you could add your KIOSK apps to it and set it up just the way you want.

I'm not plugging MORPHIX, I just think its a possible solution to the KIOSK problem.

Its modular design is, IMHO, very innovative.

Good job, Alex!

Regards,

Kiosk is a valid idea.... check out this idea with Dillo

Here's an excellent application of the Linux kernel combined with Dillo.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2869412121.html

Bascially,

Anyone who has some gumption and smart, then that person could make a nice business using a re-mastered Knoppix combined with the ideas from that article.

Also, check out the 'on-the-fly' mastering of RxLinux. While not related directly to Knoppix, the idea behind RxLinux is cool.

One could have a business, say a 'Kiosks-R-US' business whereby you design some generic kiosk systems, e.g., library kiosk, Internet cafe kiosk, etc.

Then you sell a re-mastered Knoppix from a online configuation, i.e., customizing service. Simply, a person points their browser to your web based configurator (easy to build in say, Zope + Python). They choose their kiosk model, e.g., library kiosk. Your site dispatches a pre-made re-master to them via a link, after they pay you.

Of course, for more customization levels, you could charge more money, until someone gets to the 'ultimate customization' level, which would be an a la carte configurator. Simply, you would have to tweak your system to support the feature.

Good luck!

Hello all,

adamm's request for a patron proof public
    workstation is a great match for KNOPPIX.

Good luck with the security part, especially with
    respect to internet filters. Would a non internet,
    no connection, no hard dirve kiosk be of siginificent
    value to patrons/students?

My contribution is to suggest a very inexpensive
    way to let patrons save their work, to work at home,
    or to work at another location. With the addition
    of a second CD device which is read/write, persistent home
    can be saved. Rebooting with the CDRW in place will
    bring up all the users files. With the same version of
    KNOPPIX the patron can work at home or on almost
    machine with a CDRW.

USB storage stick are more expensive, easily lost, not
    as easily backed up as a few CDRW disks.

Althought it is not well tested, the method I have come up
    with is posted under burn_home in TIPS and TRICKS. I
    am working on this to make it user friendly.

Best Wishes
    paradocs

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    adamm's request for a patron proof public
    workstation is a great match for KNOPPIX.

Good luck with the security part, especially with
    respect to internet filters. Would a non internet,
    no connection, no hard dirve kiosk be of siginificent
    value to patrons/students?
    The internet filter we have under control. We are using a hardware based filter at the router.
    The hard part will be bringing the distro down to it's basics for public use. Most of the patrons that use the comptuers have little to NO computer skills what so ever, but for some reason they feel the need to HAVE to use the internet. (I have seen people come in to do research for a report and want to find ALL of the info online, and have never heard of a search engine, and have barely used a mouse before!)
    Almost all of them have no computer at home. and CD burning is something that probably most have never done.
    Most people just want to come in and look up DragonballZ, the WWF, and print pictures of Rap artists from MTVs website. I have seen people come in to type up legal documents using Microsoft Creative Writer which is meant for 7 year olds. They also HATE it when you SHOW them the nice shiny book right next to them with the index that has all the answers about how to do everything in MS Word like "center" and "bold", they would rather you "do it for them" which I refuse. I will often explain to them how, and make them do it so they will learn something and take that knowledge with them. If I do it it for them, it does them no good.
    Now me personally as a Knoppix user, I think you have a great idea going, but as long as the patrons can get to the pokemon website, and print 50 copies of a picture of "puff daddy" that they swear they did't, the public will be happy.

Sometimes I even think that if I did use Knoppix as a Kiosk, the CD would be stolen by the next day. (you laugh, but someone took my etherboot floppy out of my LTSP terminal that we use as a card catalog, and I had tape over the drive! Won't that be a nice surprise when they try to use a bootrom disk somewhere to save files on!)

Sorry if this is harsh, it feels like a monday.
    I shouldn't be this cynical for 23 years old.

BTW, if you use the Poor Man's Dual Boot, you have all of the KNOPPIX CD available on hda1. In other words, the user can mount hda1 but as read only as if it were the CD.

Regards,

Member registered user
    Um, you know how easy the remastering is? Very easy. And anything harmful, should be root only.

Just don't make them like our school comp, basicaly, only shortcuts to ie and office, no right clicking on the desktop or in folders, and a filter that blocks a lot including free hosts.

I don't really understand the readme on the KDE website. Where exactly is the desktop config file? I'm trying to make a kiosk CD as well....

Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    Um, you know how easy the remastering is? Very easy. And anything harmful, should be root only.

Just don't make them like our school comp, basicaly, only shortcuts to ie and office, no right clicking on the desktop or in folders, and a filter that blocks a lot including free hosts.
    OK, this sounds like my school! They recently blocked AOL so everyone is up in arms. I left AOL long ago for a free email server (lycos) and free webhost (tripod.com and geocities) - that's all I used AOL for anyway, AOL content (oxymoron?) be damned! Now they know how I feel as free email servers have been blocked at my school for some time now....

I can't stand these damned filters! How do you redefine the proxy server to bypass the filter???

TIA,

Hello all

The internet access is the tough issue.
    As far as a kiosk, KNOPPIX is almost ready made.

Two issues are 1) root access and security and
    2) modifying the desk top to match the patron
    or student.

If the filter hardware cannot be breached,
    (assuming A. Jorge Garcia doesn't get his answer)
    the coumputer has no hard drive, and the only
    only connection is to the "sanitized" internet --
    then do you keed to block root access and
    the tools there? Or am I missing something?

KDE menu can be easily edited to the desired
    level, saved and restored with each boot.

Best Wishes,
    paradocs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast