Thread: username and password when trying to network

Junior Member registered user

username and password when trying to network

Hi there all,

I have a dead laptop (again) with WinXP Home on it. Plus a desktop wqith WinXP Pro.

I got knoppix up and running on the laptop - but cannot get a network sorted.

I am using static network addresses.

The machines can ping each other but when i try to connect using a smb share I get a requirement for the username and password. I have tried every combination of these i can think of yet the desktop still refuses the connection.

I created a user on the WinXP Pro desktop with the same usrname and pwd as the laptop running knoppix (i.e. usrnm: knoppix, pwd same as my root pwd). Still no joy - whenever I try to get a samba share it refuses saying incorrect username and password.

I found out about the knoppix-toram cheat and set this up on the desktop - so now i can get knoppix up and running on the desktop, then remove the disk and get it running on the laptop.

So now I had both machines running knoppix - "easy" I thought "now windoze will not refuse my connection. Since both machines are running knoppix they will network quicker than a rat out an aqueduct!"

Wrong - still the same message.

I must be doing something wrong which is very simple and I am sure I will kick mysaelf when some kind soul tells me what that is!

Yours in hope,

Fatcharlie.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I have made Knoppix to Windows (both 98 and Xp home) file sharing networking work, but have had mixed results with it.

If your intention is to tansfer files from the dead laptop to the XP Pro desktop, then Knoppix to Knoppix transfers might not be the best approach; if that XP Pro system has only NTFS drives then you can't safely write to them with Knoppix (yes, I know that some religions say that you now can, but I'm orthodox and I have not come to believe that yet).

What I would do in your case would be to run some Windows based FTP server on the XP Prp box (Filezilla would be a place to start although I've used several free FTP servers all with good results). Make sure that any software firewall on the XP box is allowing the FTP connections to pass. Then use a FTP client on the Knoppix box to transfer the files (Konquror works find as an FTP client). As a bonus I find that file transfers by FTP on a Windows system are much much faster than Linux to Windows file sharing.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

thanks Harry for the very quick reply - I'll try it and see what happens - won't be for a week cos my machines are in Spain and I'm in the UK for a week - but I'll give it a go as soon as I get back. Funnily enough I'd just decided to give that a try and have downloaded a free ftp server - will let you know what occurs. Thanks again for the rapid help. Fatcharlie.

Hi Harry,

I psted a reply yesterday but it seems to have got lost - unless I pposted it to the wrong place?

Anyway - I got CuteFTP on a 30 day trial and had a go with that.

I get a message saying the other machine (the laptop running Knoppix) is 'actively refusing' the connection.

I added a password to the knoppix username, using _sudo passwd knoppix_ and tried again using the new password and username to try to connect from CuteFTP. Still no joy - still getting 'active' refusal, whatever that is...

I get the feeling I must be doing something very simple which is wrong - I have configured the network card (not using dhcp but manually using fixed ip addresses (on both machines, WinXP desktop is 192.168.0.1 and the knoppix laptop is....2), before that I made sure lisa is running.

I hope you can help - maybe an idiot's guide to setting up the network (_I'm_ the idiot, not you, obviously )

Yours in hope,

Roger.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcharlie
    Anyway - I got CuteFTP on a 30 day trial and had a go with that.

I get a message saying the other machine (the laptop running Knoppix) is 'actively refusing' the connection.
    I Have not used that package, I tend to avoid things with limited trials when there are good free packages that do the same thing. Still, it doesn't sound like it's a problem with the ftp software, although I can't say that for sure.

It sure doesn't sound like it's a Knoppix issue either though. I'm assuming that you are running the ftp server on windows and using a client on Knoppix. In that case I don't see Knoppix likely to refuse anything, it should be inniating the connection and is hardly in a position to refuse it.

I'm thinking the problem is on the windows machine. Either the Windows firewall (I never use the one fron Microsoft, it's crap) or maybe you have garbage from Norton installed (I've tracked more connection problems to Norton or Mcafee software on my friebds systems than I can count, things that I would never expect to be a problem). My best advice is disable any microsoft firewall and any Nortton software on the windows box and try again.

If that fails we really need more information about how you configured those 2 static addresses. Hopefuly you know your way arounf ip setup but we can't be certain. Post all of the settings used on both systems, including masks and broadcast addresses, and even give us some basic info on the network hardware.

Harry once again thanks for the very quick reply. I am awed by and grateful for the commitment shown by people on this Forum. Your are all fantastic. I will do as you suggest and get back to you with as much detail as I can muster (assuming windows firewall issues do not solve the problem)

Thanks again,

Roger.