Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.0

Moderator Moderator

Re: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromba
    ...I tried burning the iso and booted knoppix from it, using the boot code "knoppix testdvd".
    This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
    The file was KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ...
    Hi,
    First of all, the following md5 is correct:

e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

Then the fact that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop "big" file did not match it's md5
    means that you got data corruption during the download or from the server.
    I agree with Harry that the easiest and safest way to fix it (without redownloading
    the whole iso file with the risk to get data corruption again) is to use bittorrent.

Bittorent uses built-in md5 (or equivalent) for each one of the high number of
    segments which when put together will make your final download file(s).
    So, if one or more segment(s) is/are wrong, Bittorrent will not only tell you
    how many of them are wrong (% complete), but will also redownload
    the wrong one(s) to fix your download file(s), in your case the iso file.

I will encourage you to check your Bittorrent setup, and eventually change
    your firewall settings to get a faster transfert rate (google for bittorrent setup).
    But even a slow Bittorrent will be faster than redownloading corrupted iso from ftp servers.
    My two cents,
    Gilles

Edit: put back the dropped "e" in the md5

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso corrupt?

...This resulted in a message saying that one of the 78 files didn't match its MD5.
    ...There was then another message saying, "Everything seems to be OK"
    and Knoppix booted.
    (The two messages seem to be somewhat inconsistent!)
    I'll agree with inconsistent. If the files don't match then they must be bad. Without knowing what files are bad it's not out of the question that the disc might boot, but you'll likely see problems over time with it. Unfortunately, I cause myself enough problems with Linux, I don't want to be second guessing if every problem or error I encounter is due to a bad md5 sum or something I did. So I couldn't personally live with this disc even if it does boot.

I have used BitTorrent a lot, with excellent results - but when I tried using it to get Knoppix the speed was amazingly low.
    Less than 1 KB/s. Wonder why? Normally I can get a hundred times that.
    There were plenty of seeds, too.
    Any ideas or advice?
    No, I don't know what the problem is/was. Sounds like you have used BT in the past and so know how to properly configure routers and firewalls, although that would be the first place that I would look. I'm assuming that you are giving it long enough to get started, BT will seem to crawl at first but will pick up speed nicely. If you have the windows firewall and/or any Norton stuff installed, disable them and try again, make sure any other firewall (I use Keiro or TPF) is letting through the inbound port and that your router is forwarding inbound packets to the correct local ip address. Check to see if you show both local and remote connections in the peer list (you should). If all else can be ruled out, see if you can determine if your ISP is mucking with you, perhaps blocking the common BT inbound port. Of course, you can't do much short of changing to a better service if they are doing fancy protocol analysis and blocking all BT traffic, but if they are just blocking the common port then you can easily configure BT to use some other port that they are are not blocking.

I didn't rush to download 5.1.1 DVD. Got the CD when the update came out, am downloading the DVD right now. BT shows that it will take about 12 hours (I'm getting about 100kB/s). May finish faster, as it tends to pick up speed, not slow down. That's not too bad for me, as in theory the fastest I could ever get an ISO the size of the DVD with my DSL connection would be about 8 hours, and 12 is still much faster than it used to take for some of the old ureliable mirror downloads for the CD! And I have a friend who has a fast University pipe who managed to get the 4.02 DVD ISO in 20 minutes from BT, and that was behind a University firewall!

I would urge you to look into what your BT problem is and post back as you learn things.

For what little it's worth, I'll confirm the correct EN DVD 4.1.1 md5 that everyone else is reporting:

e967af32cc5b9e7a91825877b65555a8 *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

The file size is exactly 4,324,202,496 bytes for the iso file.

(Gilles dropped the leading e in his post, but anyone following the thread can see which md5 he got). I got this by BT in under 11 hours on a 1.5 meg dsl connection, doing plenty of other things on the connection and not seeing any impact. Of course, the bt download was good the first time. Ideally I might have got the 4.01 gig. download in 2 to 3 hours less given my bandwidth, but I'm quite pleased with this.

Perhaps those reporting repeated bad downloads from the mrrors would consider that the advice in the downloading faq to use BT might have some merit. and, of course, don't download to a FAT partition that will not hold a file this large, and use a recent BT client (versions before somewhere around 4.0 had a 4 gig limit).

I can also report that Gilles' vmx boots the iso nicely. OK, I got a curious message that the process for multi-media died unexpectedly, but overall things are looking good.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thanks for your replies. In one sense the problem is now over - because I found a fast ftp server and downloaded overnight and got the correct MD5.
    But I'm curious about BitTorrent's not working. It works wonderfully well for everything except Knoppix.

The client I use is BitComet 0.70 and when I was trying to get the Knoppix DVD I did notice that no-one else was using this client.
    They were mainly using Azureus or the official BitTorrent client.
    Could that be relevant?
    I don't suppose it is - but I'm grasping at straws in seeking understanding.

I accept what has been said regarding the advantages of BitTorrent - and would like to use it.
    It doesn't seem likely that my set-up is to blame - in that it has worked perfectly both before and after my failure to get Knoppix.

Unless the Knoppix tracker makes different demands?
    BitComet found lots of seeds and peers and connected to many of them and yet, even after fifteen minutes, was transferring data at a mere few bytes per second. It would have taken literally years at that rate!

I am now curious. What could affect Knoppix but not other transfers?

A number of alternative BT clients have been said to contain spyware, trojans or other malware. The same is true for BitTorrent itself if you download "it" from sites other than Cohen's own site. A quick Google search shows that BitComet is one of these questioned clients. Of course, there are those who claim that it is not infested, but that is also what one would expect those who infested it (if they did) to say.

I don't know or care if BitComet is infested or not. I see no reason to fool with it over BitTorrent.

It seems to me much more likely that your client may have a prolem with downloads over the 4 gig size and it is manifesting itself this way. That is, of course, just a theory, based on what you posted about it working in other cases.

I don't know why you would ask all of this. Is there some reason why you would not try BitTorrent and actually know if it is working on you network and through your ISP, rather than just speculate on what might or might not be wrong?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Knoppix 5.1

I got mine from CA in 20 minutes

Red face jksnm

hello A number of alternative BT clients have been said to contain spyware, trojans or other malware. The same is true for BitTorrent itself if you download "it" from sites other than Cohen's own site. A quick Google search shows that BitComet is one of these questioned clients. Of course, there are those who claim that it is not infested, but that is also what one would expect those who infested it (if they did) to say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234