Thread: Network card problems on Knoppix 5.1.0

Network card problems on Knoppix 5.1.0

I have just tried the latest 5.1.0 & I had no connection to the net. I went to network card config & it asked if DHCP which it is but it then set eth0 to a status of Lo.
    How enable eth0 to a Hi status?

My network card is a via rhine.

Just downloaded the new 5.1.1 version and still cannot get a Internet connection. I cant see any other way to configure my network card, other than answering "YES" to the DHCP question in network card config. I never had this problem with any of the previous versions of knoppix. please someone tell me waht i have to do!!

Networkcardconfig

I installed 5.1.1 on my HD. And could not config the networkcard (see post in Hardware problems). The SU-mode won't start.

However I now succeeded to activate the networkcard, and access the internet (and the Knoppix-site).

On the KDE-button (left-down),
    select Utilities
    then Root Terminal
    the root password is asked, after some time a terminal-window appears
    type Netcardconfig
    one question was asked (eth0 ?), I confirmed this.

Then networking is active (as you now see through this message).

However all other functions which require SU-mode, still react with a SU-error.

Hopefully you can use the above (and a solution for the further SU-mode problems will come along)

Best Regards

That didn't work. Its the same as what I did from the knoppix menu network card config tool.

I checked kinfocenter and it does show my network card as detected but with a broadcast status of "down"

I tried typing ifconfig eth0 up but that didn't work either.

is there anything else i can try?

5.0 vs 5.1

I have the 5.0 dvd & the 5.1 cd of Knoppix
    I'm behind a firewall so dhcp doesn't work
    The settings that work on the 5.0 dvd won't work on the 5.1 cd
    I wanted the cd so I can install it to a usb thumb drive so I can load partimage backups from dvd instead of off a harddrive.
    It would be nice to be able to update this smaller install.
    Why would the dvd consistently work when the cd wont?
    I did a testcd after the bittorent finished downloading, could I still have a bad copy?
    Or is there a glitch in the networking of this newer version?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: 5.0 vs 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Gotblade
    I have the 5.0 dvd & the 5.1 cd of Knoppix
    I'm behind a firewall so dhcp doesn't work
    The settings that work on the 5.0 dvd won't work on the 5.1 cd
    I wanted the cd so I can install it to a usb thumb drive so I can load partimage backups from dvd instead of off a harddrive.
    It would be nice to be able to update this smaller install.
    Why would the dvd consistently work when the cd wont?
    I did a testcd after the bittorent finished downloading, could I still have a bad copy?
    Or is there a glitch in the networking of this newer version?
    Lots of issues here:
    • I have a firewall (router) and DHCP works just fine. Almost all routers will do DHCP (although this can be turned off). Without more information about your setup we can't make good recomendations, but if you're on a home system use a decent router and be sure dhcp i enabled.

5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1 and 5.1.1 are different (thus the different numbers). The DVD does offer more programs, but it is far more likely that netorking working for you in one case but not the other is a version issue and not a cd/dvd issue.

testcd is not a complete iso test. To properly test the iso you should run a md5 test and compare it against the md5 file that comes with the download. Learn to use the right tool.

Many computers just can't boot a usb flash device properly, in spite of bios settings that imply they should be able to.

Other than remastering, updating may be an issue with Knoppix. Installed Knoppix is certainly not the way to go if your intention is to be able to move the flash device from computer to computer. You might be much better off with DSL or Puppy Linux, which come with less applications but provide for ways to add to the basic system without causing problems.

Did you post really belong in this thread or should you have started your own? you seem to be covering issues not covered in the original post.

I'm using smoothwall behind a hughes.net satellite internet modem. It took alot of research through the smoothwall forum to get it to work.
    Long story short I can't use dhcp
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a cd/dvd issue, just differentiating between the two versions of Knoppix without using the same label over & over.
    I used k3b to burn the iso & I beleave that does an md5 test before it burns.
    I have a how-to to fallow on the usb install & I'm willing to give it a try. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key
    Bottom line I wanted to point out another possible reason for the problems had by the other posters in this thread.

Re: Networkcardconfig

[quote="Joepi54"]I installed 5.1.1 on my HD. And could not config the networkcard (see post in Hardware problems). The SU-mode won't start.

On the KDE-button (left-down),
    select Utilities
    then Root Terminal
    the root password is asked, after some time a terminal-window appears
    type Netcardconfig
    one question was asked (eth0 ?), I confirmed this.

Greetings from Guelph. If this is any help to anyone I did exactly as Joepi54 did in my root terminal and the network card is working perfectly. Knoppix 5.1.1 was installed to my hard drive on Friday Jan. 26.
    Here are my hardware specs:

DELL Dimension desktop
    P111 866 mhz
    320MB RAM
    20G Maxtor hard drive
    On board ethernet card Integrated Intel 10/100 Ethernet Controller Driver (Intel 82562ET chip set.
    Take care, Jim.

Senior Member registered user
    1. Netcard configuration issue

Try this : if you can boot-up another system that works with your netcard, use it to obtain your router or modem address as applicable, and (optionally, to avoid unnecessary proliferation of addresses), the address that it allocates to your network card under DHCP.
    They are likely to be of the forms (substitute your own figures):

192.168.A.B for the modem/router
    192.168.A.C for the netcard

Then in Knoppix netcardconfig answer NO to DHCP,

enter 192.168.A.C for the netcard address
    enter 255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask
    enter 192.168.A.255 Broadcast
    enter 192.168.A.B for Nameserver and Gateway

Acknowledgement: this was based on previous successful help to me from Harry Kuhman
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25656
    - it's always worth doing a search of the forums first !

2. SU issue

(EDITED to updated situation)There is a thread giving the solution :-
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26361

3. Good luck everybody

I had a similar problem, this worked for me, I have a DSL router at 10.0.0.2 ..
    In a console as root
    type
    route Shows not much
    ifconfig eth0 up
    route add default gw 10.0.0.2 netmask 0.0.0.0 eth0
    type
    route
    shows
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    default 10.0.0.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

ping www.google.com
    should work as should your browser.
    Don't yet know how to save the setting yet !

Jim