View Poll Results: Would you like to see a users guide geared for beginners / newbies / M$ users?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll even help!

11 57.89%
  • Yeah!

7 36.84%
  • Mabey if it is really well written...

1 5.26%
  • Better let someone else do it...

0 0%
  • Count me out!

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USERS GUIDE: I want to make one but....

Member registered user

loper....

oops ... i wonder what knopper would say about this....*hint *hint.... this should be labeled as unofficial until we get approval from knopper... additionally i would REALLY like the input from the guy himself. after all if anyone knows how or why it works it would be him... knopper if you are reading this please send me e-mail

thankx

Senior Member registered user
    Roberto,

I don't think knopper would mind. In fact I think he rather appreciates others coming alongside and helping out. He as quite a bit to do in order to maintain Knoppix just as it is. If you think so, someone should ask. I'm almost sure he would welcome the idea.

If he does include it on the cd, I would think that he would prefer a small format: html as opposed to pdf.

As for the linux for dummies idea, I don't think things need to be brought down to the lowest common denominator, but I do think that when telling someone how to do something, all the steps should be laid out -even if it's redundant to do so.

I'm sure most people wouldn't mind you borrowing from their posts. Feel free to take anything I've written. I did a howto on getting true type fonts setup in knoppix and also wrote a section in the wiki on playing dvds - contributed some info on enabling dma as well. Dave Bechtel has written a lot of helpful stuff and he has already given the ok to use it the stuff both here and on the linux tag site.

I look forward to seeing things progress on this project. I'll send you an e-mail later Be sure to talk to the folks in irc as they have a lot of info to share.

Member registered user

WE HAVE WIKI!!!!

We now (thx to eadz) have a wiki page for use to start this documentation thing...

The wiki's primary use will be to make a to-do list and be able to pass information from one person to another. I am currently looking for FTP space to be able to start in on this thing... as so far the best idea yet is to use OO or some other word processing package to make the actual book.

Please send me E-mail if you would like to help in this effort. Also we are going to be keeping the guest input to a minimum for the immediate future until the groundwork is laid. for the address to the first wiki please e-mail me.

also there is a NEW IRC room for this documentation project... i will send you a response including the wiki page and the IRC chat room if you e-mail me.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT EADZ

The wiki dox page on this site is very nice. Just wondering how you found the FaqSambaQuick page, I did not find it listed on the wiki index page.

BTW, when I suggested doing a KNOPPIX for Dummies, I did not necessarily mean to dumb-down the project to the lost common denominator. Some 'dummy' books are actually quite comprehensive. What can be done in a 'dummies' format is exactly what is needed: a howto for newbies with step-by-step instructions when needed and more advanced treatments for others when appropriate.

If we put this together as a pdf, I'm sure a publisher would snatch it right up!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    The wiki dox page on this site is very nice. Just wondering how you found the FaqSambaQuick page, I did not find it listed on the wiki index page.
    Actually it is listed on the FAQ page which is part of the wiki.

Thanks eadz for lending ressources for this effort.

OOPs! OK, I see it now. Thanx aay!

Member registered user

Submitted to sourceforge.net

This project has now been submitted to sourceforge.net for approval. Can't wait to hear back from them... I am trying to get the web-space

http://knoppix-docs.sourceforge.net

Wouldn't that be awesome!! Well anyways. As it stands we have a few people willing to review and proofread. Now we need some good technical writers.... so far there is special invitation going out to Dave Bechtel to join the efforts!!

Need some input into the polls from the readers!!!

RE: Debate over using Open Office (OO) or LaTex.

Well, I think that Latex would be good if our ultimate aim is a real book. There's a utility I've seen somewhere like TEX2PDF that would be useful here.

If, on the other hand, our aim is an on-line howto styled document then OO is good if it can be used to edit html files just as Word 2000.

Anyway, I still vote for a bona fide book we could sell to a publisher as "KNOPPIX for Dummies," or some such title. Why don't we share the authorship, credits, whatever and - dare I say it - the profits with eachother and Klaus? Have some people responsible for certain chapters, others for editting, others for type-setting. Some people have already offered to share their detailed pots on this board. I could contribute a chapter on using the CD to learn/teach/accomplish basic programming tasks,etc.

What do you all think?

Member registered user

Source Forge Has Accepted :)

I am proud to announce that we now have a sourceforge web page

http://sourceforge.net/projects/knoppix-doc/

Hope to have the beginnings of a users guide up soon!

Very special thanks goes to:

Tigren: For assembling our first Index page found at:
    http://knoppix-doc.sourceforge.net

Eadz: for continued support and lending a patient ear

All others whom I fail to mention. And all others who have posted thank you.

Please post anything you would like to say about this project here on this post. As this is the easiest way to stay in touch!

Feel free to post bugs about the sourceforge page and the soon to come wiki page.

Member registered user
    A. Jorge Garcia:
    Unless you have years to spend on making a book, and you know the write people, I don't think a BOOK is the right idea. I also don't think Knoppix is big enough, popular enough, to require a BOOK. User Docs, maybe, howtos, most likely. Everything else is covered in the Debian docs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast