View Poll Results: Would you like to see a users guide geared for beginners / newbies / M$ users?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll even help!

11 57.89%
  • Yeah!

7 36.84%
  • Mabey if it is really well written...

1 5.26%
  • Better let someone else do it...

0 0%
  • Count me out!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USERS GUIDE: I want to make one but....

Member registered user

USERS GUIDE: I want to make one but....

I want to make a Users Guide for KNOPPIX!

I will need a few things from other people. Namely:

1.) People to review and check accuracy / typos. And make suggestions to the flow and readability.

2.) People quite familiar with the inner workings of linux (KNOPPIX in particular).

3.) Some ideas on where the book should start and where to end. (Don't let the simplicity of that fool you. After all... This is a thing I would like to use to allow M$ users to become acquainted with Linux in general)

4.) Mabey even someone to help!

Mabey I'm not the most qualified person in the world but I don't see a full guide anywhere on the internet for knoppix. That said... I was primarily a M$ user up until M$ F&^*ed my computer and 4 mos. of work. I like Linux and understand the basic principals but I was frustrated by the lack of previous-M$-user oriented "break-in" instruction available. So I think I'll make my own. Any help is appreciated and welcome.

If you want to see some of my (crappier) writing style, see my topic in the general support section entitled:

[poll] Putting stuff on your M$ C: drive and the possible pitfalls

Senior Member registered user

Feel free to use my material...

--Feel free to scavenge my posts on this board (and the original board on Linuxtag) and use them in your book. All I ask is that you credit me properly for the posts that you use**. (And it would be a good idea to maybe GPL the book and post it online.)

** Perhaps you could include a "This chapter / instruction / tidbit contributed by Dave Bechtel" or somesuch, or use a "shortcut" tag to my credit listing at the end.

Member registered user
    i am willing to check for errors/spelling. dave's posts on linuxtag are great, we really should put them in. i can help with some tips too i guess.

Member registered user
    This is definately needed, as Knoppix is a distro that is the best choice to introduce Linux with. Once average users have seen the power of Knoppix, they will most likely seek out how to modify it.

Having a solid FAQ and Guide are the first steps. This can be best accomplished by using confirmed submissions from the comments on this and linuxtag's board, as well as individual input. Peer review is the best editorial control as well.

I do believe this distro will achieve the gains over the everyman and everywoman populous.

Thank you, Klaus!

I had a similar idea, but I could not do this alone either. Maybe a collaborative team of authors from this forum could put together a real book like: KNOPPIX for Dummies?

Regards,

Member registered user
    Why dont we start answering/solving problems associated with Knoppix before a manual is created.

I visit here daily looking for answers to many quirks associated with the hdinstall of Knoppix only to find there are no answers yet to my specific problems.

Re: Manual

Roberto,

Good idea. I like FAQ here on knoppix.net but it needs a lot added and in my opinion needs some formating changes so that it has a style that is consistent and readable. Did you know that you can add to the FAQ and edit it if you have some info to share? Just click on the edit button at the bottom of the page.

RE: Users Guide for KNOPPIX!

I, too, think this is a good idea, and I can be of some help. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Linux & Knoppix (yet), but as a trained and experienced technical writer & editor, I can certainly help with clarity/spelling/proofreading.

Has anyone given any thought to setting it up as a WikiWiki page with limited edit access? That would allow viewing as a work-in-progress and interactive editing by those authorized. Additions and suggestions by others could be held off-page until vetted by whomever was in charge (individual? committee?).

Should the project have a name (to indicate, among other things, that it's not "official")?

Loper,

There is already a Wiki setup on this site here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/ and it can be edited. I have edited the FAQ some myself. Just click on "edit" at the bottom of the page. It would be nice if there were a consistent style used for these pages. I lkie the indentation and bullet points used for the Samba section http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/ FaqSambaQuick It's easier to quickly puruse for the proper information in this format...imho.

Member registered user

Thanks everyone

I think we need to make a manual WHILE fixing the problems with knoppix to try and eliminate user errors as opposed to actuall bugs. i like the wiki but i am looking to make something a little more comprehensive... mabey even something to actually put into the knoppix cd.

this work i make will definately be gpl'ed or something... i am not out to steal/ pirate other peoples work... i may use some of the stuff already written but i would definately like to attribute it to the origional authors

just so every one knows... this is not to replace the wiki... i am looking for something people can run from cd/ floppy/ hd / webserver/html etc.... mabey even a pdf... i like the: "Knoppix for Dummies" idea

ill write back more later... additionally we should set up a workspace on the internet somewhere and start figuring out what kind of people we do/dont have... please e-mail me at the address i have in my profile and let me know what you can help with. im serious about this...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast