Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The newest of newbies...

Senior Member registered user

The newest of newbies...

Appologies. I am not proficient in any kind of command line schenanigans.
    I want to try to wheen myself off win2k, and loved Knoppix, because everything set itself up automatically - amazing - I could even read (although, regretably, not write) my NTFS partition from the LiveCD version.
    Excellent, I thought, I can install it! But no, when I start up, all my partitions are gone, all of the easiness is gone. Oh dear.
    What can I do?
    Is there any way to describe, keystroke by keystroke, how to restore all of the automaticness of Knoppix livecd, or am I stuffed? If so, how do I remove LILO and go back to just Win2k without the multi boot?
    Thanks for the help,
    Tortoise.

In addition

I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread, only yours are my sentiments also. We (myself and my learned friend) found how to mount other drives with knoppix installed but we can only access the free space on those drives, we can't access however, any files that windows has laid down.

The other thing that I find curious, is the fact that when we use live CD, we have every componant installed and we have Internet access. (We use broadband through a usb ethernet port. Once installed, we don't have that luxury, although our first restart following our very first knopix boot up on hard drive did access the net, bet we haven't seen the light of day since.

Junior Member registered user
    When installing Knoppix to HD it becomes a bit more complicated to use, but that is because you also gain many features that were unavailable from the live cd. After installation Knoppix basically becomes a Debian GNU/Linux installation, so I suggest you follow the advice in the forum description and take a look at the Debian website.

If you decide not the return to the windows world (like I did) despite all the initial "difficulty" in Linux I suggest you get a good book about Linux and Debian in particular. (I.e. the Debian Bible is a very good book for beginners.)

I am sorry that I cannot help you with your problems in a more direct manner but I am still a Knoppix/Debian newbie myself.

From an earlier post.....

Ok, check out this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2230

Check out what Fabianx says.

This should easily get you setup with all the same icons on the desktop that were detected when you ran things from the CD.

In order to make these partitions writeable in addition to readable, you may need to go to /etc/fstab and change the all the partitions which have the "ro" options to "rw".

OK, so I decided that multi boot systems are not the way that I want to go (this is a work computer, and I don't want to mess with the settings too much) so, after much grief, I worked out how to remove LILO (the SUSE website had it, simply boot from the win2k cd, press "R" during the setup, then "C" to enter the console, and type FIXMBR at the prompt, EXIT to reboot.

So, what now?
    I would love to be able to pop the Knoppix CD in whenever I want, have a swapfile configured, or run the ISO from the HD for speed, but have all the autoconfig stuff so that it still looks like the great LIVECD version, only faster, and with the ability to read / write to my (non NTFS) and read (NTFS) discs.

I'm stuck as to how to do this, and appreciate your patience and advice!
    Thank you,
    Nick

I'm pretty sure this has been addressed in the docs section so you may want to read that and then post back with questions that need answering.

>I'm pretty sure this has been addressed in the docs section so you may >want to read that and then post back with questions that need answering.

Thanks, I was first trying to create a floppy boot system with a persistant home, but I couldn't understand the instructions. I have an NTFS partition with win2000, and a fat32 partition, to which I have copied the entire contents of the Knoppix 3.2 CD (the cd boots without problems).
    In the docs it reffers to the file "knx_persistent_home", but I can't find this file, or "knoppix.sh".
    Any clues?
    What I want is to stop using the cd, and boot to Win2000 normally, but when I put the boot floppy in the drive, boot from the fat32 partition with the Knoppix on it.
    Is this possible?
    Thank you for your patience...
    Tortoise

PS I was reading the 'Knoppix as advocacy' section - it's great, but oh, how wonderful it would be to have a distro for newbies that installed the same as the livecd, with all of the autoconfig, if they wanted the extra features, they could play around and install a 'real' version, but it would work without grief for basic word pro, internet etc... I guess I can dream...

If you click on the K menu button, and go to the Knoppix subfolder. There should be some icons that you can click that will start knoppix persistent home and the script to save your settings. (at least that's the way it used to be). After you click on them the wizard should walk you through the rest of the process. Just make sure to note the boot option that you need to use for these things. I forget what they are, but the script should tell you.

(If you click on the K menu button, and go to the Knoppix subfolder. There should be some icons that you can click that will start knoppix persistent home and the script to save your settings. (at least that's the way it used to be). After you click on them the wizard should walk you through the rest of the process. Just make sure to note the boot option that you need to use for these things. I forget what they are, but the script should tell you.)

Ok, thanks! I have set up a persistant home on hda3, which is an ext2 filesystem partition, and also set up a swap file, which knoppix seemed to insist on putting on my fat32, without the option to put it onto the ext part, never mind, I don't think it matters where it goes?
    I also couldn't save my configuration files to hda3, onlyto hda2, the fat32 partition. Any idea what that is about?

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.
    Tortoise

Ok I'm stumped. Knoppix saves the stuff, but then when I type

knoppix home = scan (or knoppix home= /dev/hda3)
    it loads, but when I try to open the drive my home is on, I get an error

Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda3

or too many mounted file systems

There are three that I know of, is that too many?

Typing myconf=scan results in an error about the kernel.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, any clues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast