Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Built new computer and Live disk won't load

Harry, spin it any way that makes you feel good about yourself. People can read for themselves what I originally posted as well as others and your typical boilerplate response. You're a one trick pony.

Hopefully a real expert will read the error messages that I posted here and in my other post, and clue in to what the problem is so I and others who are having this problem can finally get a resolution.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by coffey7
    Thanks for you suggestions. I have tried to change the primary and secondary with the burner and the dvd rom. I even tried to change with cd burners and just cd readers. All with the same errors. There must be some setting that I have to go over in the bios. At first I couldn't even load XP because I didn't have the ram speed selected in the bios. I just had it on the default setting AUTO. The only Linux action I was able to load and run was with an Ubuntu live Cd. I selected memtest from the main start up menu. Of course when I tried to load the main OS the system would just lock up.
    My system is an ASUS P5B motherboard, a intel core 2 duo 2.13 processor 6400, and 2gb of kingston ddr2 800 ram. . The mother board only has 1 IDE input. I have the dvd drives connected with one cable(IDE). The hard drive is a Maxtor 200gb Sata drive that is the only harddrive in the system.
    Coffey: You report you haven't had any luck any OS. What I've suspect (and haven't seen in the earlier traffic) is that you haven't actually config'd the mboard itself. Many mboards need to be configured on-the-spot for a given CPU and RAM. On the main menu (hopefully) of the BIOS, try using the failsafe configuration option, reset the boot opts (that menu pick always changes the boot opts), and give KNOPPIX another try.....

PS: You've eliminated the issue of dissimilar RAM sticks ? If not, bag one stick, re-run the failsafe config option, and try again. HTH....

PPS: One final thing: Clear the CMOS completely. Use the jumper or pull the battery. Then go back and completely reconfig the BIOS. You'd be surprised how many bizarre hware probs are solved w/ this one....

Junior Member registered user
    I tried to take out one stick of ram and then swapped it with the other. Still didn't work. I think I will first reconfig the bios and start there. The good news today was I did get Mepis 6.0 and the new Ubuntu working on my other computers. By working I mean getting those darn windows videos and flashplayers to work. I used Automatix2. Works great with the new version of mepis and Ubuntu. At least the day was not a total failure. I will try all the things everyone has suggested and see if that works. Thanks for everyones time.

Senior Member registered user
    Just a quick observation. The P5B has an Intel chipset that is poorly supported in many, if not all current Linux distros. I have had issues with Intel, ASUS, and other brand boards of similar chipset configurations. Bios updates have not appeared to resolve them yet. I believe that there will be some resolution in the future, but they appear to be an issue at the present time.

Junior Member registered user
    Update. mandriva 2007 is installed. its the only Linux that worked out of 14 different distros. Now that I have some time I will clear the bios and see if that helps with the knoppix live cds.

Has anyone figured this out?? I have the same problem, only listen to this....

I have two identical computers IBM 6792-3mu the Knoppix cd works fine on one but not the other ...I am going to swap cdrom's and let you know if it worked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bootz

I have two identical computers IBM 6792-3mu the Knoppix cd works fine on one but not the other ...I am going to swap cdrom's and let you know if it worked or not.
    Solved-
    The issue was hardware a cdrom drive -Lite-On IT Corp Model LTN-486S
    I believe I have some more of these cdrom drives that I will test on as soon as I get to it, but so far it is this particular cdrom drive that I have... it plays cd's fine but will not boot Knoppix 5.0 or 5.1.1

Solved-
    The issue was hardware a cdrom drive -Lite-On IT Corp Model LTN-486S
    I believe I have some more of these cdrom drives that I will test on as soon as I get to it, but so far it is this particular cdrom drive that I have... it plays cd's fine but will not boot Knoppix 5.0 or 5.1.1
    I found another Lite-On model: LTN-486S and it also failed with the same error, can any of you check to see what kind of cdrom you are using? I am going to download knoppix 4.02 and test that to work with the LTN-486S as someone on another LUG say it works very well.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Just to avoid FUD here, I can boot a Knoppix CD from my Lite-on drive just fine.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Hey all,.. I'm new here and just found this thread through Google.

Same exact problem.. first my specs:

Intel Core2Duo 2.13ghz
    Intel motherboard(965ss? off the top of my head)
    2gb RAM(2x1gb running dual channel)
    GeForce 8800GTS
    250gb SATA HD
    16x IDE DVD Burner

LiveCD's attempted(and errors received off the top of my head, i'm not with the machine right now):

Knoppix (5.1, i believe): cannot find file system
    Puppy(1.06?): "Cannot start X" also errors about not being able to locate "/usr"(which should be on the cd, right?)
    Gparted: something about a loop error
    Ubuntu 6.10: gets to initial menu, choosing Run/Install results in kernel error

Yes, these discs work in other computers. Yes, I'm a Linux novice.

Windows XP and Vista install discs both booted properly. Vista is currently installed.

If anyone has any ideas or needs more details, let me know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast