Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Built new computer and Live disk won't load

Junior Member registered user

Built new computer and Live disk won't load

I built my first computer. Asus mother board(p5B) an intel core 2 duo 2.13(6400) and 1 dvd drive as master and a dvd burner as slave. I have 1 hard drive and its set up with a Sata cable. I put the disk in(or any other linux disk) and a screen comes up that says looking for knoppix or looking for mepis and then an error says halted can't load. I have xp on the computer right now. I tried to change the settings for the plug and play OS in the bios but that didn't work. I just tried the knoppix disk again and it said "CAN'T FIND KNOPPIX FILE SYSTEM".

Administrator Site Admin-
    We have seen some issues lately with new hardware, particularly when trying to boot from SATA. But since Knoppix doesn't need a hard disk at all and your SATA seems limited to the HD then I doubt that this is your issue. I suggest making sure that you have covered all of the steps in the downloading faq, particularly checking the md5 sum and slow burning speed (see answer #1 if you don't know where to find it).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

thanks I will do some more reading. Maybe I need to change the bios settings. At first I couldn't even load any OS at all until I selected the ram speed in the bios.

Rechecking your BIOS settings is a fine thing to do, particularly if you tried to overclock or crank them up. but "CAN'T FIND KNOPPIX FILE SYSTEM" is an error we often see from discs that were not burnt following all of the tips in the downloading faq, particular the one about high speed burning. To a lesser extent it might be a DMA issue if the boot drive does not support DMA properly, but I don't expect that will be your problem (check any BIOS settings for DMA on the optical drives though). I still recommend following all of the instructions in the downloading faq. This isn't like religion, you can't pick and choose which teachings you want to follow and which you decide are unimportant. And don't skip over steps like the md5 check just because you never did one before.

But i didn't burn any of my Linux disk? I have used them all before and they always worked. The knoppix disk is a 4.0 and it came with a book I bought. i remember I had a bad hardrive and I just used knoppix for a month without turning off my box. maybe the disk is bad now. But that would mean that my mepis and my Ubuntu and knoppix disks all went bad at the same time. I have tried 4 different drives. i know its not a drive problem. I was watching movies and burning with them last night. it could be an evil plot by Mr Gates to get me to buy Vista. Seriously this sucks.

I'm not following what you are saying. are you saying that theses 3 different Linux Live CDs all worked on this same computer as recently as last night, but now none work today on the same computer? iIf so, what changed?
    ---

My brand new computer that i just made will not work with anything linux for some reason. i was able to load windows xp on it, but when I try to load a live cd/dvd or try to install any of them they will start to load then I get an error that says halted knoppix or unable to find file system for linux(either mepis or knoppix). It sound strange but these factory made disks will not work with this box. This new one I made never worked with knoppix or any linux.

Quote Originally Posted by coffey7
    ... maybe the disk is bad now. But that would mean that my mepis and my Ubuntu and knoppix disks all went bad at the same time. I have tried 4 different drives. i know its not a drive problem. I was watching movies and burning with them last night.....
    I'm really having a hard time following what you are saying. Is it only this new system that isn't working and has never worked with any Linux Live CD? Have you tried the discs in the computer that they worked in last night? There are a number of things that you should be trying at this point. One suggestion would be to put that Knoppix disc in the new system, boot it, and at the boot prompt type memtest. Let it run a few passes of memtest86 (maybe even overnight if it doesn't fail right away).
    ---

I did the memtest with a ubuntu live cd. it worked and the memory is fine. windows runs fine on the new system. Its just when I try to load any linux system live or install. these disks have worked before on all my other computers. I put the live disk into the drive(I tried 4 different ones) and I restart. its starts to load the disk os. then during the install ubuntu locks up, mepis says halted can't find file system. and knoppix says can't find file system. I will try again and type what it says word for word.

Here is the message I get.
    Can't find Knoppix file system, sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited shell).
    press reset to quit
    additional built in commands avaliable
    cat mount unmount
    insmod rmmod ismod

KNOPPIX#_

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast