Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to use ndiswrapper

Administrator Site Admin-
    You didn't post enough info to know if it was a FAT problem or not, but FAT or a tool that can't deal with files over 4 gig in size are the common problems for the hugh size discrepency that you reported. There is also a well known problem of the mirrors way too frequently corrupting ISO downloads; I had about 50% bad downloads (md5 sum wrong and the file slightly wrong in size) before Knoppix started becoming available by BitTorrent. Since BitTorrent has been available I've not had a bad download and have downloaded much faster than I could before. But the corruption issue would not explain the hugh file size difference that you wrote of, so I didn't focus on that.

Re: How to use ndiswrapper

Quote Originally Posted by kej
    I have just been working with this, and have found, for my specific case that wireless through the ndiswrapper can still work, if done properly. information on what I did is as follows:

system: hp pavillion zv5000
    memory: 512MB
    wireless card: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    wireless router: linksys wrt54gl
    firmware: v4.30.5, Apr. 27, 2006
    wireless mode: mixed

disk: 100GB, 3 partitions, hda1 = /; hda2 = swap; hda3 = /home

notes:

I was not able to make bcm43xx work. It seems to fire up and connect, i.e. gets dhcp info, but can not do any thing farther. It seems that there is a one line kernel patch associated with 2.6.19.2 that speaks to this issue. I tried to make this work, by doing an hd (debian type) install, and then work with the kernel patch - but was not successful. Not enough time to pursue that farther. It has been a long time since I have built kernels. However, was able to finally make ndiswrapper to work.

Before I removed microsoft from this machine, I found the wireless driver information and copied that to my hda3 disk partition.

procedure:

boot knoppix 5.1.1 dvd screen=1280x800

open terminal window - issue su - command
    mount the hda3 disk partition

#for general purposes:

rmmod bcm43xx

# need MS devide drivers - a variety of sources - bcmwl5a.inf, bcmwl5.sys
    #
    # in my case, wireless device fairly consistently comes up as eth2

cd to the directory on the hda3 drive where these are stored

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    ifup wlan0

Now, there are a number of more complete discussions about ndiswrapper and how to carry forward the installation to make things more permenant. These can be found in this forum in other places, or a google search on knoppix and ndiswrapper.

As a follow on note, this information is for the live dvd only.

I tried to do an HD install (knx2hd), following the above procesure, but the wireless setup info was not successfully preserved, and I have not figured a way round that yet. (This was the approach that I had used with an HD install of 4.0.2 and it worked great for that version). About the only thing that I can say is that I am understanding more, why the tools need to be re-written.

Finally, the drawback here is that since I was unable to either do an HD install, or to save the system configuration information, this procedure needs to be done each time knoppix 5.1.1 is loaded.

While this information is specific to my case, some of the ideas may be helpful to others.

Good Luck!
    Complete newbie to linux
    I just read your post and tried to do the same but no luck.
    My system: Dell Inspiron 1501, HD 120G, 1G RAM,ethernet card, wireless minicard dell 1390 (a Broadcom card really 4311)
    Wireless works fine under WinXP via Linksys WRT54G router
    Now I am exploring Linux and downloaded the live Knoppix DVD 5.1
    Works well but of course the wireless card was not detected (the ethernet card works fine when connected to the router but that's not the purpose of a laptop of course)
    I downloaded the driver via the ndiswrapper site and put them on the desktop (in KDE it's in my home folder)
    bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys

I can get it in the ndiswrapper window and do OK and the window closes and that's it. When I try to open a terminal window under root i just cannot find the right commands to see if the driver is installed or not, so I feel I am missing something.
    Since you were successful maybe you could give me your procedure in more detail step by step. Don't forget I know next to nothing about Linux (how do you mount a disk?) so every detail is welcome. Thanks

Member registered user
    Hello exsencon!

With "ndiswrapper -l" You can see if ndiswrapper has loaded Your binary
    driver. (bcmwl5) With "lsmod" You can see Your loaded kernel modules.
    Ndiswrapper should be in this list. With "ifconfig" You can see Your
    configured network interfaces. Your WLAN should be something like
    eth0, eth1 or wlan0. If everything is fine (ndiswrapper has loaded
    driver, ndiswrapper kernelmodule is loaded) You are ready to go and
    should set up the network parameters for the device. You could use
    "netcardconfig" for that.

Good luck!

PS: If You want to know more about any of these commands, just read the
    manual pages. Example: "man ifconfig"

PPS: Greetings to Harry Kuhman!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by posmanet
    Good to see I finally have my act together and you are able to post again.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Hello exsencon!

With "ndiswrapper -l" You can see if ndiswrapper has loaded Your binary
    driver. (bcmwl5) With "lsmod" You can see Your loaded kernel modules.
    Ndiswrapper should be in this list. With "ifconfig" You can see Your
    configured network interfaces. Your WLAN should be something like
    eth0, eth1 or wlan0. If everything is fine (ndiswrapper has loaded
    driver, ndiswrapper kernelmodule is loaded) You are ready to go and
    should set up the network parameters for the device. You could use
    "netcardconfig" for that.

Good luck!

PS: If You want to know more about any of these commands, just read the
    manual pages. Example: "man ifconfig"

I tried loading the driver once more and now I got at least something. It said bcmwl5.inf is not a valid driver.
    This is the very same driver WinXP uses to get a very good wireless connection! I deleted the downloaded drivers and used (copy and paste) the files that are on my winXP system (bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys) I don't understand. Wireless under linux is not a piece of cake!

Member registered user
    Well, Wireless under linux is not a piece of cake because the wireless hardware vendors are no piece of cake... many of them dont care about linux unfortunately, and dont even release details about their chips, so that free driver development is next to impossible.

Ndiswrapper tries to use the drivers that were programmed for mswindows - emulating a kind of mswindows environment for them. As You can imagine, this is not that easy and because of the lack of documentation of windows drivers or windows itself, problematic.
    (see more on http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/)

I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 running with an Broadcom BCM4306 Mini-PCI in it, on Knoppix 5.1.1. It is not 100% bug free, but it's working now (i use ndiswrapper). Here are some additional tips that might help You:

1) Before loading ndiswrapper kernel module, try removing another kernel module named bcm43xx. You can do this by typing: "rmmod bcm43xx".

2) Instead of using ndiswrapper, You could give another driver-project a try. (read more on http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/) I wasn't lucky with this one, but maybe You are. (comment: This one is the kernelmodule i mentioned in 1). But You need the firmware of Your card, because the driver developers aren't allowed to redistribute them... - read more on the weblink!)

Unfortunately, yes, this is quite confusing stuff to newbies (i am also no pro...) - but again: This is no problem caused by linux itself, but a problem caused by ignorant hardware vendors. And this is a problem especially for wlan devices - i dont know why this is. Most hardware usually just works out-of-the-box. (Ever needed to install drivers for chipset/mouse/keyboard/ide/scsi/dsl/vga/cable-lan/soundcard/floppy/hdd/cdrom/dvd/burners/monitors/whatever in Knoppix? I guess not... )

Greetings

SETTING WIRELESS CARD

Hi everyone.......I have problem to setting my wireless card it's broadcom 4311.........I did as bottom:

I copy all the driver files(bcmwl5.inf, bcmwl5.sys, bcmwl564.sys) in home
    $ ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    $ ndiswrapper -l I got bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present
    $ depmod -a
    $ modprobe ndiswrapper I got error which said it can not find modules

can someone guide me how to setup my wireless card step by step becuase I am new to Linux OS

Member registered user
    mehrdad_p:
    Which Knoppix version are You using?
    Maybe the ndiswrapper module is missing on Your system for some reason. Maybe reinstalling ndiswrapper helps.

Greetings

mehrdad_p:
    Which Knoppix version are You using?
    Maybe the ndiswrapper module is missing on Your system for some reason. Maybe reinstalling ndiswrapper helps.

Greetings
    I am using knoppix 2.7 but I download the knoppix 5 live dvd and try it but I got another error at the beginning when I type ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf it said that you do not have pemision somthing like that.........and can you guild me how to uninstall and install ndiswrapper becuase I try that but I couldnt remove ndiswrapper completly.

thanks

Member registered user
    Permission errors are most likely happening when You are trying to do sometiong as user, that only root is allowed to do. Use a root shell (find itin the Knoppix menu) for ndiswrapper stuff. By the way, the exact error will be very helpful!

Reinstalling ndiswrapper:

version 1) You have an internet connection (maybe via LAN) - do as root:
    apt-get update # this means updating the lists of available software packages
    apt-get install ndiswrapper --reinstall # this one reinstalls/updates Your ndiswrapper software

version 2) Find another computer that has an internet connection, and search for an ndiswrapper debian package (.deb). Download it, and move it to Your target machine. There, You can install it using:
    dpkg -i /path/to/Your/ndiswrapper.deb

Greetings

Update:
    I think You'll need more Packages than just one. On my system, following ndiswrapper packages are installed:
    ii ndiswrapper-common 1.15-1 Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper
    ii ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.17 1.16-1 Linux kernel module for NdisWrapper for 2.6.17
    ii ndiswrapper-utils 1.8-1 User space tools for ndiswrapper
    ii ndiswrapper-utils-1.7 1.8-2 Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper
    (You could check this out on Your machine with "dpkg -l | grep ndiswrapper")

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast