Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to use ndiswrapper

OK, I am at it again! Still no luck installing the wireless driver with ndiswrapper but maybe I am getting closer (I hope!). Last time when I tried to install,I got this message (this was with the Suse live DVD,but it should be similar with Knoppix)

linux:/home/linux/ndiswrapper-1.37 # make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/linux/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/build;
    give the path to kernel build directory with
    KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/linux/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Where is the Kernel build directory and how do I get it to build those files?
    Any suggestions?
    As for knoppix I am still trying but for now I always get the same (discouraging) answer: bcmwl5.inf :invalid driver

Do I need to unistall ndiswrapper first and after install it then install the packages............I realy confused when I download the packages I install them but when I typed ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5 it said that ndiswrapper not found........Can u guide me how can I uninstall and then nstall the new version on Knoppix 2.7(Whoppix 2.7) Live CD..........and also can u put the exact package links for me. at last can you guide me step by step because I just trying use Linux OS for about a week so I need to guide step by step

Quote Originally Posted by posmanet
    Permission errors are most likely happening when You are trying to do sometiong as user, that only root is allowed to do. Use a root shell (find itin the Knoppix menu) for ndiswrapper stuff. By the way, the exact error will be very helpful!

Reinstalling ndiswrapper:

version 1) You have an internet connection (maybe via LAN) - do as root:
    apt-get update # this means updating the lists of available software packages
    apt-get install ndiswrapper --reinstall # this one reinstalls/updates Your ndiswrapper software

version 2) Find another computer that has an internet connection, and search for an ndiswrapper debian package (.deb). Download it, and move it to Your target machine. There, You can install it using:
    dpkg -i /path/to/Your/ndiswrapper.deb

Greetings

Update:
    I think You'll need more Packages than just one. On my system, following ndiswrapper packages are installed:
    ii ndiswrapper-common 1.15-1 Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper
    ii ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.17 1.16-1 Linux kernel module for NdisWrapper for 2.6.17
    ii ndiswrapper-utils 1.8-1 User space tools for ndiswrapper
    ii ndiswrapper-utils-1.7 1.8-2 Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper
    (You could check this out on Your machine with "dpkg -l | grep ndiswrapper")

Member registered user
    I'm sorry, but i dont know such an old knoppix as 2.7, and what is whoppix?!

The description i gave You was general debian administration, and it already was step by step (there are no smaller steps). If You use apt-get You dont have to uninstall anything manually and You dont have to care of that. Best thing is to get an internet connection via LAN and install via apt. I dont have exact links to any debian packages (.dep) sorry - You can use google Yourself i think.

Greetings

Yes,yes,yes I got it! Dear posmanet I am writing this from my wireless laptop under Knoppix! It really came down to a mistyped path for my driver so poor ndiswrapper could not find it. Stupid {very stupid) mistake. But still; you really have to earn your Linux! Now being on a live DVD, there is no way to save this configuration I suppose and you have to start over again next time you start the computer?
    A happy man and thank you for your suggestions and keeping the faith, it was needed!

Member registered user
    Im happy to hear that it works!

One way to "save" Your special wlan configuration would be, to create a bash script, including the commands You needed to setup Your wireless connection - and store this file on a fixed drive oder USB stick or similar. This can be quite easily been done by creating a text file, entering Your commands (one per line), save, and change permissions of this file to being executable. The first line in this file should contain something like this:

#!/bin/sh

Greetings, and happy wireless networking.

By the way, on my system ndiswrapper runs better than bcm43xx driver. bcm43xx is slower (11mbit only) and after a while connection is lost magically, and cannot be restored (only by reboot). Well, this driver is still under development, and i dont even have the latest version - so there may be more to come in the future.

Well, on my system ndiswrapper runs at the rated speed of 54mb/s and it's a real beauty. The funny thing though is that I didn't have to configure anything. After driver installation I just did modprobe and looked into desmg and it gave me my wlan0 with essid and everything. Of course my wireless router was running and I guess the card detected it and configured the whole thing.I really was up and running before I realized it.

I don't think the 43xx driver will work on my system although I have it in the catalog of the driver file I downloaded. W'll see.

If I make a file to save the config, is the first line added automatically or do you have to write (or edit) it yourself?

Member registered user
    You'll have to enter the first line (and all following lines) yourself. Then save the file on one of Your fixed drives. When you boot next time, You can just mount the fixed drive, and start it (as root) - it will work as if You would enter the commands manually. For example, You could creat a file called "wlan-start" on the first partition of the first hard disc drive. (This would be c:\ under Windows, and hda1 under Linux.) This file should contain something linke this (example, with windows wlan-driver in c:\wlan-driver\):

#!/bin/sh
    echo "Setting up wireless networking."
    ndiswrapper -i /media/hda1/wlan-driver/bcmwl5.inf
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    # This is a comment: You could also use ifup / ifconfig / iwconfig for networt setup here:
    netcardconfig

For the moment, i will stay to ndiswrapper (i also have 54mbit here and no interruptions at all) - but i'm looking forward to using bcm43xx in future versions of this driver (and Knoppix, containing newer kernel/drivers).

Greetings

hi posmanet

Finally I set my wireless in knoppix 5.1.1 Live dvd and thanks alot but I really need to set it in whoppix 2.7 ( you can find it here http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02683) and I found that the problem is my ndiswrapper and I need to Uninstall and install it again.........th problem here is I dont know how to Uninstall it and then Install.......can you guide me ow can I do that Setp-By-Step ..........I read sth about how to do it but I didnt get any result I can not use cable connection becuase I;m using my university wireless AP (I can not use apt-get command).............at the end thanks again

Member registered user
    Dear Mehrdad,
    If Your Whoppix is based on Knoppix, the step-by-step description i already gave should work. If not, either You did something wrong (read - try again), got the wrong package (use Your favourite search machine), or it is some problem concerning Whoppix. You should ask someone in the Whoppix forum then. There's nothing more i can do from here. And sorry, i dont have the time to start tiddling with Whoppix - i'm fine with Knoppix, and can help You with that.
    Greetings

Thanks Posmanet, I will sure try to do this and will keep you posted!Thanks again because you kept me alive in the wireless linux business!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast