Hi

Knoppix has been a great way for me to move to Debian from RedHat. The hdinstall went without problem. However, the settings I enter in wlcardconfig are not applied during boot-up. I have to start wlcardconfig, hit Enter repeatedly to skip through the dialogs (all the settings are remembered), then do an ifdown eth0; ifup eth0 to trigger a dhcp and get connectivity.

During boot, I have an error suggesting that the interface is being brought up, but the wireless settings are not applied - so the ifup fails.

I think the cause of this is that my wireless card is a PCMCIA card in a 'plx adaptor' in a PCI slot. So, the settings are being stored within the PCMCIA suite's config files, but the card services themselves are not used. It looks like wlcardconfig runs iwconfig on exit, thus applying the settings irrespective of the card services.

I've been trying to get a feel for how knx/Debian does its init'ing and network setup, but could do with a hand. What's the 'nicest', most debian-ish way to cause the iwconfig settings to be applied when the interface is brought up? A pre-ifup script somewhere?

On another note, my self-installed GRUB doesn't seem to understand reiserfs... grr. But I'll keep experimenting with that one - hopefully (not?) nuking Win2k's bootableness in the process...

Thanks for any advice...

--
Chris