Alright decided to dual boot XP and knoppix hd install. Newbie to linux and all.

Anyway I'm trying to install my WG111 Netgear USB 2.0 on this 5.1.0 installation (2.6.19 version). I've read many tutorials and guides, including the install for prisma (a little too complex for me atm) so please don't flame me.

I installed the drivers from the Netgear site on windows, and grabbed the netwg111.inf and the wg111nd5.sys and put it in a local directory (/home/nefariouz/netgear). I used ndiswrapper to install the inf but it says "No new device is connected so maybe ndiswrapper isn't working with your card" or something to that effect.

ndiswrapper -l in the shell shows "netwg111 : invalid driver!" And I've tried removing it and reinstalling it, same results.
iwconfig shows "lo no wireless extensions"
network card configuration shows "no supported network cards found"
lsusb shows "Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2) so OBVIOUSLY it is at least detected at least partially.

Pretty much at my wit's end seeing as that this Compaq Armada 1750 laptop is so old that it has no ethernet port. Which is mainly the reason why I wanted to take XP off of it as it runs poorly. I read in these forums that 5.1.0 is a little messed up. Should I revert to an earlier version? I mean I know I'm a linux noob, but without outside assistance and doing my own reasearch I don't think there is anything I missed, right?