Thread: [b]How Do I Run Knoppix Within Windows XP???[/b]

[b]How Do I Run Knoppix Within Windows XP???[/b]

I am a fairly intermediate user of WIN XP and I am just now learning how to use Linux.

My question is this:
    How can I customize my copy of Knoppix so that it boots/runs from my USB stick from within WIN XP (the Knoppix Kdesktop in a new window) and also boot the computer from the USB stick using Knoppix???

I don't want to install anything onto the host computer. I would prefer that the software/code I would need to execute this task reside on my USB stick. I have surfed the 'Net for various programs that allow me to use knoppix from within WIN XP (VirtualBox, Vmware Player, etc) but almost all of them require an install onto the host computer, which sucks because I want to take all of my stuff with me and not make edits to the host computer.

What would be the steps and software to accomplish this?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Do you understand that Linux, the OS that Knoppix is based on, is a alternative operating system to Windows? So the simple answer is that Knoppix does not run "under" Windows. As you have already pointed out, there are programs like VMware player that will let you run Knoppix in a Window in Windows XP. It works great. You can actually run may other OSs in VMplayer this way. A user here named ruymbeke had done some nice things for booting the Knoppix ISO under VMware, read through this sizable thread for more info. But you're not going to be able to run Knoppix under windows without installing VMware or some other virtualization software.

Of course, most people don't run Knoppix under VMware, they just boot the CD or DVD as it was designed to be used. And this can certainly be done on a system with Windows installed without installing any software in Windows, but Windows is not running when Koppix is running.

And yes, some people have Knoppix boot natively (not under Windows) from USB devices. The biggest issue here is that a lot of hardware just can't boot properly off of a USB device, even though there might be a boot from USB otion in the BIOS. There are several threads in these froums that dicsuss peoples results with this.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Do you understand that Linux, the OS that Knoppix is based on, is a alternative operating system to Windows? So the simple answer is that Knoppix does not run "under" Windows.
    I already knew this.

A user here named ruymbeke had done some nice things for booting the Knoppix ISO under VMware, read through this sizable thread for more info. But you're not going to be able to run Knoppix under windows without installing VMware or some other virtualization software.
    What if I installed both the VMware Player software and my modded Knoppix onto my thumdrive? Would that work, since Windows might refer to VMware Player on the thumbdrive???

Of course, most people don't run Knoppix under VMware, they just boot the CD or DVD as it was designed to be used. And this can certainly be done on a system with Windows installed without installing any software in Windows, but Windows is not running when Koppix is running.
    It is obvious that Windows is not running while Knoppix is up. I knew this too. I have been tinkering around with Knoppix and its many derivatives on DistroWatch. I'm a N00B, so I am still learning how to walk with Live Linux cds, so to speak.

And yes, some people have Knoppix boot natively (not under Windows) from USB devices. The biggest issue here is that a lot of hardware just can't boot properly off of a USB device, even though there might be a boot from USB otion in the BIOS. There are several threads in these forums that dicsuss peoples results with this.
    Would it be possible that I could rewrite the entire code in Knoppix in order for the PC's hardware to boot properly from the USB stick? Or are you saying that it is totally impossible? If it is possible to rewrite the Knoppix code, then that is gonna be big ass endeavor!!! =:-0

Oh hell, screw that part.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by d1g1tal_ph3r3t
    What if I installed both the VMware Player software and my modded Knoppix onto my thumdrive? Would that work, since Windows might refer to VMware Player on the thumbdrive???
    No. You can't "install" VMplayer to a thumb drive. Installing it has to make extrensve changes to windows, including installing special virtual network drivers. Just having a copy of the files on the thumb drive would leave windows no way to know that the stuff was there. You could keep a copy of the uninstalled player on the thumb drive, but it would have to be installed on the windows system before it was run. And the target system owner might not want that.

It is obvious that Windows is not running while Knoppix is up. I knew this too.
    Actually, when running VMware it is running while windows is running. Or, if you don't care that windows is running when Knoppix is running, just run it from a CD as it was intended (for compatabilty with the largest number of systems) or from the USB drive (although that will limit you to only the systems that can boot from USB properly.

Would it be possible that I could rewrite the entire code in Knoppix in order for the PC's hardware to boot properly from the USB stick? Or are you saying that it is totally impossible?
    It's not a fault in Knoppix that is the issue in booting from USB, it's a faut in many BIOSs. So if the BIOS can't boot from USB then no matter what you have out on the USB device it's not really going to matter.

Junior Member registered user
    If you want to install knoppix to a usb thumb drive, boot your machine with the knoppix 5.1.1 live cd. Go to a terminal window and type "mkbootdev" without the the quotations marks. The script will copy the whole knoppix cd to your usb thumb drive. You can then use this usb thumb drive to boot your machine, provided your machine supports booting from usb devices. I have tried it and it's cool and a lot faster than running knoppix from cd or dvd.

As for vmware, there's no option to boot from usb devices. What you can do instead is boot from an iso image of knoppix. The good thing I find with running knoppix in vmware is that should I encounter any problem (especially while booting), I can quickly surf the net and look for answers, since vmware is running on Windows (win xp in your case). This is very convinient especially if you still learning linux/knoppix.

Cheers!

Senior Member registered user
    You could use qemu from a thumb drive..... its a command line Machine emulator www.qemu.com

Though I do not know how stable qmemu is under windows

Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Quote Originally Posted by jae4my
    The script will copy the whole knoppix cd to your usb thumb drive. You can then use this usb thumb drive to boot your machine, provided your machine supports booting from usb devices. I have tried it and it's cool and a lot faster than running knoppix from cd or dvd.
    What size thumbdrive would I need? I only have a 1 GB thumbdrive and I would like to add a few things to it to make it VERY user-friendly.

I know that there are ALOT of factors that play a role in figuring out both the decompressed/compressed size of these knoppix ISOs such as the quantity of packages (their file sizes play a role too), the quality and the level compression the filesystem uses.

I know this may sound like a far-fetched question but I am a bit of a perfectionist: Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the compressed/decompressed states for these iso's? Are there any caculators which you know of that you could point me to?

As I am remastering my Knoppix cd, I want to know what my limits are so I know how big to make my partition on my USB drive and still have quite a bit of free space left over on my 1GB thumbdrive.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

And another question which I can understand your reaction and I hope doesn't freak anybody out. Anyways, does any1 know of any clubs or meetings here in Oklahoma City, OK I could attend? I would like to get acquainted with people who are familiar with Knoppix/Linux and possibly collaborate on whatever projects related to Knoppix and/or Linux are in the works. Just something to keep me busy.

Keep up the excellent work guys!!!

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by jae4my
    The script will copy the whole knoppix cd to your usb thumb drive. You can then use this usb thumb drive to boot your machine, provided your machine supports booting from usb devices. I have tried it and it's cool and a lot faster than running knoppix from cd or dvd.
    What size thumbdrive would I need? I only have a 1 GB thumbdrive and I would like to add a few things to it to make it VERY user-friendly.
    1GB thumdrive will do but you won't have enough freespace to store other stuff unless you remaster the knoppix CD and remove those packages you find as unnecessary. In my case I used a 2GB thumdrive.

Cheers!

1GB thumdrive will do but you won't have enough freespace to store other stuff unless you remaster the knoppix CD and remove those packages you find as unnecessary. In my case I used a 2GB thumdrive.
    I have my 40GB ACERbook hard drive setup as a thumbdrive. I got one of those portable enclosures which draws power from the USB. I'll just use that instead and use my 1GB thumbdrive as something else.

I am going to implement the results from the question below (if it can be done successfully) into my remastered Knoppix install. The purpose of this is when I use Knoppix, it will reveal the TCP-IP network settings of a WINXP machine and allow me to surf the web.

First, how can I get Knoppix to recognize the Ethernet NIIC???

Are there any Knoppix utilities which will reveal a WINXP computer's TCP/IP network settings such as the computer's given IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses, etc???

Is there a way to make Knoppix purge this info from a WIN XP machine (using Knoppix's command-line)? If so, please give me some steb-by-step instructions as to how this can be accomplished.

Just so you know, I have BackTrack BETA, Knoppix, Knoppix STD, Arudius, Auditor Security Collection (Before the merger of A.S.C. and Whoppix), Whoppix, Local Area Security, PHLAK and SLAX KillBill. I don't know which one to use to accomplish my task.

Thanks!

Are there any Knoppix utilities which will reveal a WINXP computer's TCP/IP network settings such as the computer's given IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses, etc???

Is there a way to make Knoppix purge this info from a WIN XP machine (using Knoppix's command-line)? If so, please give me some steb-by-step instructions as to how this can be accomplished.

I just came up with an idea to my question above. I could make a remastered version of Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD and use its Network Configurator to purge a WINXP computer's TCP/IP network settings.

Although this is in theory.

I wonder what else I could include in the remastered copy of Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD.

Hmmmm.....