Thread: UDEV problem: Starting udev hardware detection ....( hang)

UDEV problem: Starting udev hardware detection ....( hang)

Hi

Boot problem with KNOPPIX Live CD 5.0.1 && 5.1.1 , in DeskTop PC ( Intel Pentium 3.4 GHz )

-------------------------------------------
    Graphics Configuration:

Intel[R] 82865G Grapohics Controller ( onboard)
    &
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200 ( 128 MB )

RAM = 1 GB
    After installing a new MotherBoard , which has Intel[R] 82865G Grapohics Controller ( onboard) , I guess KNOPPIX is not booting.
    -------------------------------------------

Boot message for KNOPPIX Live CD 5.0.1
    ===========================

INIT: version 2.8.6 booting.
    Running Linux Kernel 2.6.17
    USB found , managed by udev
    Firewire found, managed by udev
    Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ...... ( hang )

Boot message for KNOPPIX Live CD 5.1.1 => different ERROR Messages at various times ..!!!)
    ==============================

USB found , managed by udev
    Firewire found, managed by udev
    A) Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ...... Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

udevd-event[2656]:run-program:'/bin/sh' abnormal exit.

B) Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ...... Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
    udevd-event[1400] : run_program :'/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
    dev-event[1531]: run_program : exec of program : '/lib/udev/udev_run_hotplugd' failed.
    [1532] : .......

C) udev-event[2112] ..........
    udev-event[2656] .............

Pls suggest to resolve these issues. There is no problem with the live-CDs ( 5.0.1 & 5.1.1 ) , as I had earlier successfully booted from 5.0.1 CD many times, and worked on Knoppix-5.0.1.
    With 5.1.1 CD also I had booted successfully once ( after the NEW Mother board is installed) and was able to write files to the C Drive ( which contains Windows-XP ). But now not booting even with 5.1.1 live CD also.

If I boot my NoteBook ( Compaq Presario V 2000 ) using KNOPPIX Live CD 5.0.1 , it stops at the the line accessing KNOPPIX CD /dev/hdc . Earlier with this same live CD 5.0.1 I was able to boot in this NoteBook. I guess now the issue might be due to CD-ROM Drive problem !!!

thanks in advance!

Best Regards
    VETRI

I had kind of the same problem you have. I have a FX5500 and it stopped at the same place on me. I went into my bios and disabled my PCI card and enabled my Intel onboard graphics, plugged the monitor to the onboard card and now I can boot Knoppix with a DVD with no problem. I still havent found out how to get it to work with my 5500 but Im going to use some cheat codes and see what I can do. Hope it helps.

Junior Member registered user
    If it stops at the the line accessing KNOPPIX CD /dev/hdc
    Try the boot code nodma , i have a cd rom drive that needs that.

Code:
    knoppix nodma

Hey all......have all the same problems too.

Tried the knoppix nodma code......I was freezing up at the out of memory error, so I tried that code and now I freeze up at the udev lines stated above.....???? Arrgh!

I even tried an older version I had on cd and stops in the same place (although the error lines are different)

I have a geforce mx400 and using in an HP Pavilion

To go into the Bios and change back to the original motherboard video is just a pain in the butt, so hopefully there is another solution to the problems we are having.

Thanks, Brian.

same problem, got an onboard vga and a geforce 4 mx installed. i can only set the "standart", meaning onboard vga or agp, but not disable the onboard vga completely.

knoppix always stops at udev.

hope someone has a solution for this problem, as i'd hate to have to use the onboard vga ..

Same, same. I've got a GeForce 5200 FX PCI card and couldn't get it working at all in Linux. But thanks to this thread I've got it working with Knoppix and soon with an installed distro!

I hope some dev will take a look at this problem.

With extremely limited LINUX (of any flavor) experience --2 weeks of fooling with KNOPPIX 5.1.1-- I can't bring a lot to the discussion, but with a very similar setup, the nVidia 5200 part, as well as the nVidia nForce3 250 chipset, I have experienced much the same symptoms as you. I briefly tried a 3.4 CD, which works quite well, but doesn't have the NTFS-3g component, so then tried all the cheatcodes mentioned in the KNOPPIX page that comes up on the 3.4 screen. Along the way, I tried the testcd switch, which caused the OS to boot. If I use that, it boots reliably, though I can't say that it seems as stable as the 3.4 version did. This seems to suggest that the problem is one of timing in the execution of the various scripts, most probably the one involving udev. Of course, the cost of this is the long time for the checksums to be run.

I'd be most interested in anyone else's experience should they try this.

Well, I've been banging my head against this issue for a few days now. It seems this symptom cropped up around 2.6.15 over two years ago. Someone thought they had a fix a year ago, but I'm still wedged. Until someone does fix it, I am constrained to 2 year old distributions which do not support my audio hardware. At least it boots up.....

Modem card responsible for boot pb: starting udev ....

Hello,

I've faced a few days ago the same problem (KNOPPIX boot hangs at "starting udev hot-plug hardware detection".
    I've tried to replace the current graphic card MSI FX5500 by the old one, but boot problem still remains.
    Only solution: remove all cards and by testing them one by one, identify the hardware problem, if any.
    ==> it works!
    The problem was linked to the modem card, you know the old card to connect by phone nobody uses anymore with ADSL technology!
    The network card is OK, the graphic card is OK, the USB2 support card is OK.
    I was able to start KNOPPIX and work with it.

One point however: the USB2 support card makes this step about hot-plug hardware detection very long (several minutes just for that step). I don't know if it is normal or not.
    2 devices were connected: a LOGITECH webcam and a EPSON printer.

Hope this hint could help somebody else.

You may want to try the "noudev" cheatcode along with any others you need.

Code:
    knoppix noudev