Thread: Please - Need help with Linux kernel headers

Please - Need help with Linux kernel headers

Hi.
    I'm new in Linux.

I want to install Aircrack-ng on my laptop.
    The wireless card I have is Realink with rt61 chipset.

I downloaded Knoppix and run it as live cd then I downloaded the rt2570 driver according to the instructions:
    http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=newbie_guide

Problem is that when I try to compile the driver with "make" I receive error.

I checked and it seems that I need the Linux kernel headers .
    Is it possible to install it with Knoppix live CD or must I install full Linux on my laptop ?

Thanks

Senior Member registered user
    Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD.... and even then it still may not compile when running "Live"

otherwise you can install the CD version to your HD and upack and setup the kernel source-tree from ftp.kernel.org

Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Quote Originally Posted by onemyndseye
    Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD....
    Does that mean the CD version cannot be extended with new packages, drivers, etc. that are only available as source?

I have a similar problem installing the slmodemd driver for my winmodem (soon to be linmodem ). The pre-compiled version requires Glib 2.4 but Knoppix 5.1.1 has version 2.3.6. The installation notes indicate that for kernal 2.6 I have to download the full source tree not just the kernal headers.

If the only way is a hard drive install, can I get away with a poor mans install? (tohd/fromhd)

I was thinking before that maybe I could upgrade glib but after reading this thread it seems that would not be the best way to go, is that correct?

Thanks,
    Walter

In theory it should with with poor mans install since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home" and changes to the unionfs would be written there..... but it doesnt always work out this way

If you need to do alot of installing/compiling... either installing the LiveCD to your HD or going with a differnet distro of Linux would probably be your best bet (IMHO)

Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

...since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home"...
    Ok, I don't understand that part... from the PMI faq I got the impression you set up both a persistant home and use tohd/fromhd together. Right now I'm only using the persistant home because I don't know if tohd will format the entire partition or simply create a directory. The faq is somewhat vague on that point.

Also, I plan on using Knoppix to learn Linux and ultimately tackle the Linux From Scratch book. The most installing I need to do is to get hardware working correctly. I made a mistake in my last post: slmodemd is dependent on GLibc 2.4 not Glib. I found out this is the gcc C library and the current version used in debian is 2.3.6. Looks like I'll have to try compiling slmodem from source.

Thanks for your help,
    Walter

Do yourself a big favor and find a linux distro that supports your hardware out of the box. Trying to compile drivers that need different glibc versions, kernel headers and such from knoppix live cd is more of a pain than it's worth.

The slmodem drivers were included in Kanotix www.kanotix.com , which is very similar to knoppix. Take a look at distrowatch for live cd's that are better suited to you needs.

Good luck.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea..... except that I'm in the Philippines and Linux is damn hard to find here. On top of that it takes about a week to download a single CD so as the old phrase goes "beggers can't be choosers" This is why I want to build my own Linux from scratch; it's easier to download a single package at a time as opposed to a complete distro in one lump.

Since it's live CD, if something goes terribly wrong all I have to do is reboot so I'm going to try building the slmodemd drivers. I'm not going to attempt to change/upgrade gcc the c lib or anything else that comes with Knoppix and will instead see if the driver can be compiled against glibc 2.3.6.

Wish me luck!

Walter