Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 5.2

Where do people find the MD5 checksum for 5.2 DVD? I could download 5.2 DVD using KTorrent but I would like to validate the checksum.
    Please, somebody post a link to the MD5 checksum. Google is of no help here.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pjknop
    Where do people find the MD5 checksum for 5.2 DVD?
    I could download 5.2 DVD using KTorrent but I would like to validate the checksum.
    Please, somebody post a link to the MD5 checksum. Google is of no help here.
    The Bit Torrent file includes by definition all the md5 (checksums) of the slices.
    Or in other words, you can use your Bit Torrent client to check the integrity of your file
    by forcing a re-check of the file and if you get a 100% downloaded
    and you are now a seed, you have passed the md5 check.
    There is no need for an other md5.
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Klaus Knopper has shed some light on the delays concerning the release of post-5.2 Knoppix versions here:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00012.html
    Seems a new release within 2007 is still a definite possibility :P
    I know it has been said before, but let us not forget we get to reap the benefits of his hard work for free.
    Patience, guys and gals!

Junior Member registered user

Thanks for this update. I was wondering what happened.

This is very helpful. It's been so painfully quiet around here. I think I'm just one of many people who check in here every few days and wonder what happened. I was meaning to ask, but afraid to sound offensive on whether Klaus was sort of hinting that he wanted users to move to Ubuntu. I really love Knoppix and I use a variety of different releases.

One thing that makes me sort of depressed about the release situation beyond my personal preference is that Knoppix has been sort of a core for a wide variety of other projects. In particular, I closely monitor the traditional Chinese distributions that have been based off of Knoppix and the silence from Knoppix has led to a sort of follow-on effect there. Last year when the Knoppix updates were coming fast and furious the energy sort of passed down the line and they were pumping out localized distros like mad too. Since things have slowed down upstream, things have dried up considerably on the downstream side as well.

That would have been okay if things were in great shape before that happened, but since the wifi driver situation is still pretty bad up to 5.1 it was a bit of a bummer. That has potentially slowed down the uptake here in Taiwan where wifi autodetection is something users really expect and it sounded like this was going to be addresed in the latest kernel releases. Other notebook issues like power management would also make a huge difference.

Anyway, I don't mean to be in whiner mode. Obviously this process is not need driven and I woudn't want to be mistaken for making such a suggestion. All is praise and thanks for what we have. It's good. In fact, looking back we can see some real high points.

Of the English releases so far, I actually find 3.6 to be the most stable Knoppix release to date but obviously this is because the 2.4 kernel was fairly stable at that point. By the same token, the 2.4 kernel it has its limitations when it comes to some more recent drivers so that's not a solution that fits every situation. But for machines that don't need the 2.6 kernel or UNIONFS then 3.6 is a rock solid base. For the large part I run 5.0 with a modified sysconfig so that includes myconfig=scan. (On a side note --why isn't this the default? If the user has no config it will just be ignored and if they do then they probably would like to use it.) I use 5.1 sometimes too which is nice for the Mplayer and the FreeDOS is nice for doing a quick and dirty Loadlin hard drive install but I've had problems getting samba to work in 5.1.

But now that I've heard it from the man himself. Perhaps it is time to take a look at Ubuntu. It's just that I really prefer the LiveCD approach. The LiveCD which has been exemplified by Knoppix is such a simpler approach to software management. Ever since I got into Knoppix I found life was so much simpler. Hard drive installs seem grossly primitive to me at this point. I understand that Ubuntu does have LiveCD versions but that's not the primary focus of Ubuntu as I understand it. I don't know. I should probably stop thinking outloud and just go get into it.

Of course, when 5.2 and 6.0 etc finally do show up you know I'll be waiting. I'd probably rather wait than switch.

Okay, I've been taking out loud here long enough. But one more thing --I want to just say here that some of the Chinese mods of 5.1 that are more up-to-date have had some great stuff. The new K3B with the DVD transcoder built in is great and there was another one prior to that with another DVD transcoder called AcidRip which wasn't too bad. These, of course are just front ends for ffmpeg and mencoder but very nice additions. Here's hoping that the much anticipated wifi kernel updates are reflected in the 5.2 CD version when it does arrive.

no wireless... even for an atheros card

I have a "generic" atheros a/b/g card that works with EVERY distro I have ever tried... DSL, puppy, Ubuntu, all knoppix... except for Knoppix 5.2. I spent over a day to download the DVD only to find out that "ath0" or any other interface does NOT show up in netcardconfig. Actually, it didn't even pick up my ethernet card, eth0.

Weird. If I am missing something here, let me know [Edit] Meaning missing something as to the value of supporting wireless - this is NEWS.

Oh, and Beryl tried to run with knoppix 3d desktop=beryl, but it can't start X and I get a white screen

... but I had beryl, and currently have compiz fusion on my Kubuntu (Gutsy 7.10) and my Radeon 7200 64 MB card. Flawless there. It also works in Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: no wireless... even for an atheros card

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1
    Weird. If I am missing something here, let me know
    You seem to be missing the point that this is a NEWS forum and not a NETWORK SUPPORT forum. What wifi card you have does not count as NEWS. Oh, obligatory symbol to make anything one posts OK:

Agreed my topic is on Networking

However, the point is that Atheros Wifi support in general seems to get worse and worse and Knoppix gets newer and newer, and that is NEWS to anyone who would get excited about 5.2 who has a working card under most Linux distros and waste time downloading it before checking into whether there is compatibility. I made the assumption that mine would work.

I appreciate the fact that someone maintains and continues to upgrade this particular distribution, which I have been fond of over several years, but as technology progresses, the one thing that should be apparent is that more and more things are going wireless.

I find it surprising that a DVD distro would cut support for basic things, as there is plenty of room in a DVD distribution to maintain such things. I don't need 5 text editors.

Again, Atheros cards have always been supported in Linux, and so the fact that mine will not work with JUST Knoppix 5.2 IS NEWS.

Further, Beryl works for me in 5.1.1 but not in 5.2. That is also useful NEWS. Thanks for the capitals though, as as I approach 40, my eyesight is a bit weaker these days.

Peace Out...

I am heartened to hear work is being done on cleaning up the c-loop system. I seem to have an oddball hardware implementation on my Sony 505 laptop. After the 4.0 Knoppix I have had strange issues with Cloop on boot-up, and if successfully booted, random lockups and memory issues when utilizing multimedia. Since I have three of these laptops,and al of them demonstrate these behaviors, I look forward to some relief.
    Postie

Quote Originally Posted by FSHero
    Err... I don't mean to be a moaner , but when is Knoppix 5.2 going to be released? As in, an official bittorrent link and FTP and HTTP mirrors.

Because... I need ntfs-3g v1.0!!! This feature in Knoppix is going to make it kick-arse when using it to recover files from a computer!

Otherwise, what is the recommendation of others? Download Knoppix 5.2 from bittorrent anyway (e.g. the one listed on Mininova: http://www.mininova.org/tor/625498)?
    DL it. Boot it, and INSTALL the ntfs app you seek while in session (from wherever it is at, ie apt-get).

Moderator Moderator

The next Knoppix DVD release is for March 2008/Cebit

Hello,
    FYI, according to a post by Klaus in the Knoppix mailing list:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00018.html
    The next Knoppix DVD release is now due in March 2008 for Cebit.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast