Thread: Suggesting new software/programs to be included in knoppix

Senior Member registered user

Suggesting new software/programs to be included in knoppix

Is there a webpage where we can suggest new software/programs to be included in the nex versions of knoppix ?
    I did a search on both knopper.net and on knoppix.net but could not find anythng
    Maybe if there is no place to suggest software to be inlcuded we can use this thread for that.
    Like for example I want to suggest a very good childrens game(like gcompris) called childsplay to be included in the next release.
    Some of the criteria for suggestions should be that it should be GPL licensed so that it can redistributed

The homepage for childsplay is http://childsplay.sourceforge.net/
    It is a gpl based game for young kids.

Member registered user

Re: Suggesting new software/programs to be included in knopp

Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    Is there a webpage where we can suggest new software/programs to be included in the nex versions of knoppix ?
    I did a search on both knopper.net and on knoppix.net but could not find anythng
    Maybe if there is no place to suggest software to be inlcuded we can use this thread for that.
    This forum, according to it's description, is the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    Like for example I want to suggest a very good childrens game...
    If you want a games based Knoppix-like live CD, have a look at http://www.games-knoppix.org/ - they are currently little behind with their releases, but you should still be able to find a torrent someplace. Alternatively, help them out get the next release out.
    I personally doubt that Knoppix is going to include any more games in any of their upcoming releases. The iso is quite tight as is. Games is not the point of this distro; Knoppix is a sysadmin's wish list, to make his work easier.

Pan Newsreader

Does anyone know what happened to the Pan Newsreader? I first found out about it from a knoppix CD and then it was dropped at some point. Is there an equivalent newsreader that now comes with Knoppix? I tried the icedove mail client and knode. Neither one lets me download most attachments like Pan did.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Pan Newsreader

Quote Originally Posted by BobEnigma
    Does anyone know what happened to the Pan Newsreader? ....
    I didn't realize it was ever there, but according to Wikipedia, Pan is target to Gnome. So when Klaus dropped Gnome from the CD to focus on KDE and get some space back, he may have dropped Pan at the same time.

PAN NewsReader

So does anyone know if an equivelent newsreader to PAN comes with Knoppix?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Took less than a minute to get the info on that. Went to a mirror site and open the package list The only package with news in the description is Knode (and a related filter). So if Knode doesn't fit your needs the answer is likely no.

NewsReader

Thanks for checking, Knode doesn't do multipart attachments and several other attachments that PAN does. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get PAN to install again. I use to just do "apt-get update" then "apt-get install pan" but that stopped working a short time ago. Then when I figure that out I'll have to figure out how to remaster. A lot of work to get a descent newsreader on a live cd. It's too bad they took it off the CD and DVD. It's the only newsreader worth using on Knoppix. Anyway. Thanks for your help.

Maybe a picklist of software to be included? That way, we could pick what we want and not get what we don't want? Or maybe if I figure-out the synaptic package manager, it might do that?