Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
aay made small mistake: the command should be:
Code:
apt-get -t unstable install kopete
(note the "install", thats the missing command apt-get complained about
you could've found that out easy by reading the man about apt-get... THATS how you learn, not by asking us...

how to get info about a command?
Code:
man (command)
so
Code:
man apt-get
gives manual of apt-get. you can use this for every command!

RIGHT .... man pages are about the most useless form of documentation ever devised with their implied simplicity geared strictly for the guy who wrote the program, not for people who actually need real examples.

One thing I have seen repeatedly, and Klaus is no exception - the one place I need to see real examples there are always shitty examples that follow some hypothetical, and when you try to duplicate the results, the wheels fall off.

I follow examples here, like I want to install the infamous Gallery package, and when I follow *your* examples, like
apt-get install gallery, the thing fails.

Searching the miserable Deviant site for package information provides a package name, and it's way out of date.

Trying to plug the shown package information into apt-get produces a myriad of failures.

It's as much trouble as trying to use RedRag's RPM command.

So I'd rather use the original package directly from the source - and install to the system using what the developer decided was best.

good luck...