Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apt-get / dpkg tutorial

Senior Member registered user
    BTW, is there anyway to use apt-get to install something to the ramdisk temporarily while running off the KNOPPIX CD, maybe to tmp? Apparently you can install some things that way, look at fabianx's nvidia installer script which works for cdd and hdd installs. I suppose it would depend on what files need to be installed and updated so it would be application specific, right?

My kid at college has an old Gateway desktop in his dorm room that runs fine with the CD but the hdd is dead. Well, he's too cheap to get a new hdd, so he'd like to install the nvidia drivers and bzflag this way. Can this be done?

Why don't you just type apt-get install and press <Tab>?
    It will list everything available to install.
    BTW, I can't get this to work. Does this work? The best I can do to see available apps to install is apt-cache search xxxx - is that all I can do?

TIA,

BTW, is there anyway to use apt-get to install something to the ramdisk temporarily while running off the KNOPPIX CD, maybe to tmp?
    Sorry, not a clue. Why not just try it out, after all, it won't break anything on the ramdisk.

Why don't you just type apt-get install and press <Tab>?

BTW, I can't get this to work.
    You have to press tab three times (I think) and choose "y"
    Just press tab until it does something

Through a proxy

Well, I had to look for this online, so I thought this would be a good place for it, as well.

Should you require to use apt through a proxy, you just need to set an enviroment variable:

export http_proxy='http://proxy.site.domainort@userassword'

If your proxy doesn't use a username/password, just leave the '@' symbol and everything after it off.

Hope that helps someone.

Keep em comming

This topic sounded really good!!!
    Coming from the RPM world i lack a certain aptitude with debian.

I wanna change my sources but I was a bit worried about breaking the knoppix specific stuff.

I messed about and wrecked kde and it won't come back, mainly because some packages are on hold.
    Its no big deal becuase its a new install, I only been using Knoppix for a week but I have to say Im impressed as hell.

I downloaded the latest 3.3 to fix a screwed Mandrake install and seeing the new feature list and the fact it supported my 1GB memory I went ahead with a HDD install......

The hardware detection is amazing.... quite why debian are looking at anaconda is beyond me when knoppix does it 10x better.

Anyway, I'd really like to FIX the KDE and learn something in the meantime ... I just wanna know which sources to add and what needs to be on hold and hopefully this thread can grow ......

Junior Member registered user

Re: Through a proxy

Quote Originally Posted by Kick the Donkey
    Should you require to use apt through a proxy, you just need to set an enviroment variable:

export http_proxy='http://proxy.site.domainort@userassword'
    Hope that helps someone.
    I used this for yum yesterday.. but I think its only fedora/redhat yum specific. I could be wrong though.

Nope

Its bash specific, its a part of the bash shell, ftp_proxy works too.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    THATS how you learn, not by asking us...
    Well, what are you good for then?

Seriously, can anyone tell me what this means (and sorry for bringing up such an old thread):

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

I thought I'd start with something simple so I installed kmoon. It seems to have installed fine, but I'm puzzled over the output I got above.

Also can anyone tell me why, after I'd installed Knoppix to my hd and tried to run one of Kano's bash scripts (fix-all-global.bash) as root I got permission denied?

Lastly, I want advice. I understand that Knoppix uses a mix of Sarge and Sid. Would it save me from problems down the line if I upgrade fully to Sid or try to downgrade to Sarge? If the latter, how? Google only revealed that it *is* possible, but not how; there seems to be some sort of trick to it. The man pages were no help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistshadow
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    THATS how you learn, not by asking us...
    Well, what are you good for then?

Seriously, can anyone tell me what this means (and sorry for bringing up such an old thread):

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

I thought I'd start with something simple so I installed kmoon. It seems to have installed fine, but I'm puzzled over the output I got above.

Also can anyone tell me why, after I'd installed Knoppix to my hd and tried to run one of Kano's bash scripts (fix-all-global.bash) as root I got permission denied?

Lastly, I want advice. I understand that Knoppix uses a mix of Sarge and Sid. Would it save me from problems down the line if I upgrade fully to Sid or try to downgrade to Sarge? If the latter, how? Google only revealed that it *is* possible, but not how; there seems to be some sort of trick to it. The man pages were no help either.
    You need to put a # character in front of the line(s) that are causing the warnings in the /etc/apt/sources.list. For Kano's script did you chmod +x name_of_script.sh to make it executable if so tells us exactly the steps you were using. If you want to go with either the testing or unstable you should comment out (put # character in front of the line) the other lines for the branches that you do not want then apt-get -s dist-upgrade if the output of the simulation looks good then remove the -s from the line to actually upgrade this done after an apt-get update to refresh the apt packages cache.

Re: wrong attitude

Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    "THATS how you learn, not by asking us... "

This is definitely the wrong attitude, held by many in the linux community, and a definite detrement to a more widespread acceptance and usage of linux and in this case knoppix. Don't forget a lot of people are looking in on these posts, people who are considering becoming knoppix users. We don't want to discourage them with bad manners, condescending attitudes, snobbish behaviour, etc. Always be as helpful and courteous as possible, otherwise remain silent.
    Thanks for pointing that comment out. As a new knoppix user, I can deffinately say that I'd be leary to ask for help after reading that. These forums are an excellent way to learn about knoppix, but some of the information is confusing to a newbie. Asking questions is a great way to learn things.

This probably won't be of interest to the seasoned Linux user, but for us just getting into it, this could be a bit helpful. I had run many apt-get installs. I was excited, but overwhelmed at the 19,000 + install packages listed. In a shell when you type apt-get install and tab 3 times, you get a huge list of packages all in text and not easy to decipher without doing some searching on the net for a description.

I tripped over a package called 'kpackage'. I had no idea what it was, but figured it had to do with package handling. A couple of days later I saw it in my menu and clicked on it. This is a great program that list out the install packages and gives you a brief explaination of what it is and what other supporting installs you will need to get it working correctly. You put a checkmark by the package you want to install and click install.

I am by no means steering anyone away from working in a shell. It seems to be the foundation of Linux and deffinately needs to be practiced.

Hope this helps someone..................anyone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast