Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario V2000

Compaq Presario V2000

Well, i can't seem to get the CD to boot properly. I've tried a lot of different switches but everytime it hangs right after loading minirt.gz and nothing every shows on the screen. i've used this same CD and booted a desktop without any problems.
    has anyone had similar problems?? i really need to get into this laptop to retreive the data.

thanks

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Compaq Presario V2000

Quote Originally Posted by swixtt
    .... i've used this same CD and booted a desktop without any problems......
    Was the disk burnt at slow speed? High speed burns often work on one system but not another.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    .... i've used this same CD and booted a desktop without any problems......
    Was the disk burnt at slow speed? High speed burns often work on one system but not another.
    i've actually tried another download Dec Release and then did another burn... same problem. as soon as it goes to next screen(right aftern the minirt it just goes black. no cd churning, nothing... could it be that the video is not supported? i've tried quite a few startup changes but nothing makes a difference.
    there's got to be a way to boot this laptop?? hmmm

... could it be that the video is not supported? i've tried quite a few startup changes but nothing makes a difference. ....
    Could be, although I don't expect that. By startup changes do you mean "cheat codes"? Which did you try? I would try nodma and noapic, maybe even noscsi or scsi=off. To test your video chipset theory try xmodule=vesa.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

yeah i tried xmodule=vesa and all the others related to video modes.... but nothing. it just seems as soon as it switches from the command line interface to the graphical one, that's when nothing happens... no logo, nothing. i'll try those other switches as well. i've tried most of the ones listed on the F3 screen but not every one of them.
    i guess these laptops seem to have more problems booting up than desktops. just thought from all the other issues people are having with them that it was video related.

i'll keep trying.

thanks

i get a CRC error on one of the cheat code entries. but this same cd will boot without issue in a desktop PC. i still haven't been able to get this to work at all.
    any other ideas?

thanks

i get a CRC error on one of the cheat code entries. but this same cd will boot without issue in a desktop PC. i still haven't been able to get this to work at all.
    any other ideas?
    I'm not clear on what this crc error is or why you would not detail what cheat code you were uing that seemed to trigger it, but crc errors indicate to me high speed burns, bad media (I never use Sony, it's awful), or dirty optics in the reading or burning drive or a combination of these things. Also you might want to try both the dma and nodma cheat codes and see if there is any difference in the result (I've seen systems that need dma on to boot properly and other that need it off).

Needs nodma

My experience with Knoppix DVD on the compaq presario v2000 is that the only necessary cheat is nodma.

Now, my own question - Resolutions in Knoppix

I'm running strictly off the DVD (my hard drive is toast and I'm awaiting a replacement) - Knoppix has been a lifesaver since it's allowed me to work w/o the hd.

However, I'm stuck in 1024x768 -- not the native resolution of this lcd. If I try to switch to 1280x768, it distorts the display. Any hints? I can't do any config file alterations, for obvious reasons, but if that's what it takes -- let me know anyway, since I plan to create a knoppix partition on the new drive.

Thanks!

I can't believe I'm running XMMS, a PDF viewer, Several instances of Iceweasel, and Google docs -- without a harddrive! -- I was tempted to not buy one!

I also have the Compaq Presario V2000

I just did a HD swap and the live CD worked well. Other than some slightly out dated tools it booted without an issue.

One thing I had an isue with was the touch pad and options for it. I got the mouse controls worked out but the pad is silly sensitive, w/ default to 1 click

I was amased that it picked up all the bits in the computer rather well, along with a USB to IDE/SATA adapter

Try a slow brun on the disk image, and try a differnt media.

-Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast