Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTFS Read Write Support and other Features

Senior Member registered user
    Yes, sorry - 'linux box' = desktop with linux OS

My system :

Host/Kernel/OS "drbbox" running Linux 2.6.22.2-slh-smp-1 i686 [ sidux 2007-01 - Χάος (200702210759) ]
    CPU Info (1) AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 1024 KB cache flags( sse sse2 nx lm pni svm ) clocked at [ 1000.000 MHz ]
    (2) AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 1024 KB cache flags( sse sse2 nx lm pni svm ) clocked at [ 1000.000 MHz ]
    Videocard nVidia G70 [GeForce 7600 GS] X.Org 1.3.0 [ 1024x768 @50hz ]
    Network cards nVidia MCP55 Ethernet, at port: e000
    Processes 119 | Uptime 4:07 | Memory 205.8/2027.5MB | HDD ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0,ATA WDC WD3200AAKS-0 Size 820GB (12%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 7600 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.11

There are a number of options depending on which nVidia card you have. Try out the latest LiveCD release which came out earlier this week and see what you think.

drb

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by drb
    I now use sidux which is pure debian sid + very useful scripts.....
    I've looked over the information on this (but have not downloaded and tried it). Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of this. According to the sidux.com site, "sidux is a full featured debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations". If I want a hard disk install of sid, I'll install sid (I currently have Lenny on an old system but might try real Debian sid on my newest system). Why would anyone complicate things with this for a hard disk install when sid itself is available, and why fool with a Live CD whose focus is admited to be on hard disk installs if you want a Live CD?

Back when Knoppix first came out, a Linux install was a real mess. You had to record IRQs, IO addresses and lots of other stuff before you even tried to install Linux, and you usually had to abort the install when you found that some cryptic value was needed that you hadn't thought to record. People saw how cleanly Knoppix detected hardware and decided to try to install that, even though it wasn't intended for hard disk install and had many design choices that caused problems after a hard disk install. People asked "why, if Knoppix can detect the hardware, why can't the hard disk based Linux distros do the same ?'". Well, in the years since, Linux hard disk installs have become much cleaner. I had to do a little more of my own disk allocation with Lenny than with etch, but the hardware detection was a breeze. People got what they asked for, but they still persist in installing Live CDs when real intended for hard disk install distros like Debian seem a much better choice to me.

Junior Member registered user
    Thanks Harry

I understand your point perfectly

Thats the reason I chose Knoppix as I am more inclined to work with a Live CD based distro rather than installing it. As I can not afford to let go windows due to my nature of work and windows MBR has a nasty habit of getting messed up by Linux GRUB. If that happens and the Fix MBR command does not work, then there comes the real scary part of re installation.

src,

sidux is a great LiveCD as well - there are alternative installations options to a grub MBR but I'm not aware of any problems with sidux 'messing up' an MBR. The website address is http://sidux.com/index.html

drb

Sidux deserves nothing but praise in my opinion. Here's a debian-based live cd that has managed to stick to their schedule for their first three releases, has a team of developers who listen to suggestions on their forum and irc, and encourage and accept contributions. They also have a supported installer, which reportedly leaves you with a plain sid install, hence avoiding the complications inherent to the repositories mix on which knoppix is based (but obviously leaves you with the occasional breakage debian unstable is subject to - beginners beware). Being current also means they include a post-1.0 version of ntfs-3g, which is very solid - writing safely to ntfs is finally possible.

Keeping up with linux/debian is daunting for anyone, and Klaus has done it essentially on his own for very long... Whether he is still interested in maintaining his creation or not, we remain forever indebted, and so are the developers of the many live CDs that ran with his ideas. Sidux is definitely amongst the best debian-based ones.

Quote Originally Posted by src
    Thank you Harry for your reply.

No I would prefer to stick with Knoppix as everyone (more experienced users) told me that it is still the best.

I shall surely look into the debian as you have kindly suggested.

Regarding version 5.2, I understand that this is not the official release, but I hope downloading it won't violate the licensing terms. And I also hope that you shall provide support for that version.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Because KNOPPIX is composed of software that is covered by open source and more importantly by freely-distributable licenses, it should not be a violation to download the ISO of KNOPPIX 5.2 from a torrent.

However, it appears that Klaus himself has reached an agreement for exclusive distribution of this version as a CDROM that is published with a magazine. So HE personally might not be allowed to publish the ISO on the internet, but ironically anyone else in the world (basically, anyone who is not bound by this agreement) who gets a copy of the disk can then rip it to an ISO file and redistribute it via a torrent.

The only thing that could change this would be if the CD also contained software or other content (copyrighted pictures or documents, for example) that was NOT freely distributable.

I would be very surprised if this were the case, as it would be counter to everything the KNOPPIX project has stood for in the past. Someone like Klaus would need to confirm this if you wished to be 100% certain that you are not violating license terms.

Junior Member registered user
    Thank you everyone...and sorry for this delayed acknowledgment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12