Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS Read Write Support and other Features

Junior Member registered user

NTFS Read Write Support and other Features

Hello to everyone

This is my first post and I hope that I'm posting in the right section.

I am planning to use Linux beside my Windows installation, and I have zeroed down on Knoppix as most of my friends (as well as tech magazines in my country) recommended it as the best Live Distro available. But before I start using it I would love to have some of my doubts cleared, which are as follows:

1. In live Cd mode will it be possible to access the NTFS partitions in both READ and WRITE mode? That is whether I shall be able to read as well as write data in my NTFS drives without installing Knoppix.

2. I tried but I could not find the full list of softwares packages included in the latest Knoppix DVD (English Edition), so could some one please provide me the link if such a page exists?

3. Is Knoppix based on Debian?

4. Is there any free e books available for novice Knoppix users like me? If yes please provide me the link.

5. Is it possible to install new softwares which are not included in Knoppix DVD while running Knoppix in Live CD mode?

I know some of these questions may sound quite mundane as well as foolish, but please understand that I am very fresh in the Linux world but highly enthusiastic about it.

Sorry if I missed anything in the FAQ.

So please help me out.

Thank you.

Anyone please???? I still need a little help with the doubts.

I checked the FAQ and found that with a right click of the mouse I can enable the Read-Write capability for an NTFS partition while using Knoppix in Live CD mode. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Good move editing the subject line, it started out quite lame.

1) Some think writing to NTFS is safe. Others including myself are not convinced of this yet. My suggestion is that there is no reason to do this if it puts all of your data at risk, avoid doing it. Installing Knoppix to hard disk will not change this and is not recommended.

2) There used to be a package list for both the CD and DVD on the mirrors, but the last time that I looked there was not one for the DVD. There generally is a packages.txt file that comes with a BitTorrent download. I still have the one from my CD download, but burnt my DVD iso and needed the space, so I deleted the 5.1.1 download directory. If you used BitTorrent to download and there wasn't one included with the download then I guess one was never made for 5.1.1. You might try looking at a package list for an older DVD, I doubt that much changed.

3) Yes, but unfortunately for those who try to install it, it is based on a mix of Debian version, and doesn't apt-get update well.

4) Yup, sure are. Look through the news section of this forum for some suggestions.

5) Because of the mixed version issue mentioned above, installing software doesn't always work. And large packages may exceed the limits of the ram disk. You can try to install software, are you feeling lucky? There is also Klik, an effort to address this issue. See the Klik forum for details. Some other Live CDs have somewhat better support for this, see DSL and Puppy Linux for examples. And you stress that the question pertains to running oin Live CD mode, but don't think that it will be beter if you install Knoppix to disk. If you want an installed Debian system, install Debian.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thank you very much Harry

Great answer, honestly.

After going through your answers, I think that I shall prefer to use Knoppix as a Live CD always, and if I require to install don't you think that Ubuntu will be a good choice? It is also based on debian.

Thank you again for the e book suggestion, though could you please be kind enough to point out the one (or two) that will be best suited for a newbie like me?

BTW, I have got the torrent from the address posted in this forum for version 5.2. Will it be ok if I use it instead of 5.1.1?

Thanks again.

I've looked at Ubuntu but was not impresses by it over Debian. I would consider using it if I had some new hardware that Ubuntu had support for that Debian lacked, but otherwise I see no reason to use it.

5.2 is not an official Internet release. It's a copy of a release that was done for a trade show. I don't know what issues have kept Klaus from releasing it on the Internet, but I'll respect his wishes. An Internet release of 5.2.x is long overdue and I see no reason to expect it anytime soon, if ever. There doesn't seem to be the interest in putting out Internet versions that there was when Knoppix was gaining popularity with the community. But there are plenty of alternativs now if you don't wish to wait for a new Knoppix release.
    ---

Thank you Harry for your reply.

No I would prefer to stick with Knoppix as everyone (more experienced users) told me that it is still the best.

I shall surely look into the debian as you have kindly suggested.

Regarding version 5.2, I understand that this is not the official release, but I hope downloading it won't violate the licensing terms. And I also hope that you shall provide support for that version.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

AFAIK it's perfectly legitimate to post and download the 5.2 release. But as Klaus has not seen it ready for release on the Internet. out of respect for him I do not download or use it. And, of course, that would imply that I can't support it. I do expect there are more than the usual number of problems in that release, since it was released based on a show deadline, rather than the more traditional "When it's ready".
    ---

I understand your point Harry

BTW, could you please suggest me an free e book for Koppix beginners? I searched the news sub forum, but could not find anything current.

Regards

Senior Member registered user
    src

I started with knoppix about 3 years ago. It was a good LiveCD but there appear to be many problems with a hd install. I now use sidux which is pure debian sid + very useful scripts; it is easy to install (dual boot with Windows if you want); NTFS support; a great manual, forum and irc for 24 hour support! I have one dual boot machine and a standalone linux box (main box). I've installed on 5 other laptops/ desktops for others and it is stable on all boxes. Debian compatibility is no problem with ability to apt-get anything in debian sid repos. There is also an excellent script for dist-upgrading, new kernels and video driver installation.

I haven't heard of any NTFS support issues over the last 6 months - seems very reliable. Always wise to back-up key work files for any system as hardware reliability can be worse than software!

Thank you drb for your very informative inputs.

Basically I have been getting a lot of positive feedbacks regarding Ubuntu so I decided to go for it, though I can't say that I have completely made up my mind. So all these inputs really helps me a lot.

I remember once I have installed Ubuntu ver 6.06 in an old PC, but it really developed issues while I tried to install the nVidia display drivers. There was no proper display afterwards. As NTFS Read-Write support is very important for me, I shall surely check the distro you pointed out. Could you please let me know the website for it?

BTW, what exactly is a Linux Box? Is it a PC only having Linux as its OS or it is something like a Virtual Machine?

Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast