Thread: Knoppix Torrent?

Knoppix Torrent?

I was why Knoppix isn't a torrent download yet at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

A good torrent program will:
    • Decide which minor(s) are the best choice for the user in seconds.
    • Validate each and every 256K? chunk of the ISO 9660(the CD image) as it comes in.
    • It decentralizes the load to allow for fault tolerance and shifting the load as one minor becomes sluggish.
    • I don't know about the rest of you, but Azureus didn't 5-min. to make a torrent file for a 800Mb file. I was testing the stability of a 16 PC "LAN" I'd build for my CNNP class. I installed Azureus and Java on each PC, and out of the box it shared the file across network without flinching. I Don't remeber if it was 3 routers and a switch or four routers. Either way it was that plus other misc. equipment.
    • It also allow those downloading to send out a few packets to help other's out when the connection has the spare bandwidth.

Senior Member registered user
    There's one here: http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Knoppix Torrent?

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Late
    1. Decide which minor(s) are the best choice for the user in seconds.
    No, a torrent takes parts from all of the other available Torrent members. That's how torrents work. And the Knoppix BitTorrents are much faster than any mirror (I have a friend wth a fast pipe who downloaded the DVD version in 20 minutes in the first few days it was out).

2. Validate each and every 256K? chunk of the ISO 9660(the CD image) as it comes in.
    Yup, BitTorrent validates all of the segments it downloads. It can even rapair a bad download from a mirror (which do indeed happen, without needing to download the entire file again). The size of the blocks isn't locked to 256k, it depends on how the torrent file was created.

3. It decentralizes the load to allow for fault tolerance and shifting the load as one minor becomes sluggish.
    BitTorrent, and the Knoppix torrent indeed decentralize the load. They don't use the mirrors though, which are not suitable for serving torrents. (There is nothng, of course, that would stop someone running a mirror from also serving one or more torrents). While you're correct in advocating the use of torrents, you don't seem to have a good understanding of how they work; they are independent of mirrors.

I was why Knoppix isn't a torrent download yet at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/.
    Look at the Get Knoppix link at the top of this page. Torrents for the official releases have been available for several years. They are a much prefered way to download Knoppix rather than the mirrors, which frequently cause problems.

(Forgive the sarcasm I'm just being silly.)

I stand corrected (sirs/mams), thank you. I was just looking in the wrong place.

Yes, I know the correct terminology is peers and seeds(which in practice encompasses dedicated servers as well as other bit torrent clients) and the block size is adjustable, but it's simpler just to say "mirrors" and "256K?" then to explain all of that :P I had to teach my self all of that long ago to get the for menchend network up, running, and do nasty stuff to it.