Thread: Iceweasel is slow..... Solved

Member registered user

Iceweasel is slow..... Solved

After using knoppix4.0 for years, I bought a new laptop and installed knoppix.5.1.1. Everything is fine except for a few minor problems.

1) Iceweasel is slow(painfully slow)
    a) Konquer works fine and is fast.
    b) iceweasel is faster using an old linksys router
    c) I read that ipv6 is the cause of this but dont know how to turn it off (cant find the modprobe.conf file)

setup

1) Dell 700m
    2) 1gig ram
    3) dlink DIR655 router set to DHCP
    4) brodcom nic set to DHCP on dell

Member registered user

update

I have done some testing and results are as follows

Iceweasel works very slowly after booting up but the stops entirely. I figured it is based on forefox so I checked the about:config networking section and compared it to my windows. (viitually the same file) so I eliminated that as a possibitity. then I installed firefox.
    Firefox works the same as iceweasel. almost not at all..

I dont understand what the difference is between konqueror and firefox. Can someone tell me how theese two connect to the internet differently? understanding this may help me solve my problem.

Thanks for the help

Member registered user

Almost there

Ok... I have done some more testing and I think I have found significant information.
    I can get a page to load in firefox or iceweasel but only if I get a connection with konquer first. ( It dosent matter what website I load. ) just establishing a connection to the internet makes firefox work for a couple of minutes. Somthing is timing out but I don't know what.
    I have also disabled the firewall on the D-link, but that dosent help. I have also tried to connect to a linksys router (wrt54g) and It works flawlessly. Can someone give me some ideas to try?

Thanks
    pboodi

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Iceweasel is slow

Quote Originally Posted by pboodi
    After using knoppix4.0 for years, I bought a new laptop and installed knoppix.5.1.1.
    That interesting. I've never seen a problem with Iceweasel slowing down. And I don't install Knoppix, I run it from the CD. Do you think these two issues could be related?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Member registered user
    >>>>>That interesting. I've never seen a problem with Iceweasel slowing down. And I don't install Knoppix, I run it >>>>>from the CD. Do you think these two issues could be related?

Quite possibly, I know that the harddrive install breaks a lot of stuff. I should clairfy, that iceweasel and firefox actually stop responding until I use knoqurer again. Then it starts working again but only for a short while. And it dosent happen with the linksys router only the D-Link.

Thanks

pboodi

Well, it might be something strange about the router, as you keep coming back to that. It could be some IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue. But it sure could be the "install". I would suggest running from the CD for a while, and if it doesn't happen it's likely the install. If it does happen from the CD then trouble shoot it from the CD without getting the "install" involved.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Well, it might be something strange about the router, as you keep coming back to that. It could be some IPv4 vs. IPv6 issue. But it sure could be the "install". I would suggest running from the CD for a while, and if it doesn't happen it's likely the install. If it does happen from the CD then trouble shoot it from the CD without getting the "install" involved.

Thanks for your imput. based on your suggestion I checked while running from the cd. I get the same results, so it is the router. This is a new and expensive router. It has "N" capability. And the "N" feature is currently disabled until I find the problem. How would I check a ipv4 vs ipv6 conflict?

thanks

pboodi

Quote Originally Posted by pboodi
    .... How would I check a ipv4 vs ipv6 conflict?
    i
    I have no direct eperience with IPv6 (my ISP does not seem to offer any IPv6 service yet). There have been some reports here of some strange problems that have turned out to be IPv6 based, although none of it quite matches what you are reporting. There is a setting somewhere in Firefox/IceW. that lets you turn IPv6 support off. I would suggest sticking with the Live CD, finding that setting and disabling IPv6 and see if that makes the problem go away.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Member registered user

update

After some extensive testing< I have found out the problem is specifically related to the dlink DIR655 router.

For clairifacation: Konquer will access the internet anytime. however iceweasel and firefox will only access for a short time only. And only after loading the page in konquer.
    Any help or suggestions on this problem with this router would be apriciated

setup

1) Dell 700m
    2) 1gig ram
    3) dlink DIR655 router set to DHCP
    4) brodcom nic set to DHCP on dell
    5) knoppix 5.1

thanks

pboodi

Member registered user

solved

ok the reason that it only happens only with the Dlink is that it is the only router I have that supports Ipv6.

The Fix is to disable ipv6 in firefox. Aparently many more people have been having this problem.

type about:config in firefox

type ipv6 in the find box

change the disable ipv6 line to true

restart firefox

I assume the same fix will apply to Iceweasel