Thread: Knoppix VMWare-tools Installation Problem..

Knoppix VMWare-tools Installation Problem..

Hi All..

I am totally new to Knoppix so please bear with me... I had to install it for some assignment...

I installed VMware WS on VISTA and then booted off Knoppix 5.1.1 CD Version

Then from Knoppix i did

Code:
    knoppix-installer
    and it installed knoppix into my Virtual HDD of Vmware.. it worked fine..

then i tried normally installing vmware-tools.. and i ran the vmware-config.pl.. it gave the following error

Code:
    Stopping VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
    Guest operating system daemon: done
    Trying to find a suitable vmmemctl module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmemctl modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmemctl module
    for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
    yes

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.2", while you are trying to use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.1". This configuration is not recommended and
    VMware Tools may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
    compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.1" anyway? no

The memory manager driver (vmmemctl module) is used by VMware host software to
    efficiently reclaim memory from a virtual machine.
    If the driver is not available, VMware host software may instead need to swap
    guest memory to disk, which may reduce performance.
    The rest of the software provided by VMware Tools is designed to work
    independently of this feature.
    If you want the memory management feature, you can install the driver by
    running vmware-config-tools.pl again after making sure that gcc, binutils, make
    and the kernel sources for your running kernel are installed on your machine.
    These packages are available on your distribution's installation CD.
    Press Enter key to continue

Trying to find a suitable vmhgfs module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmhgfs modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmhgfs module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? yes

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.2", while you are trying to use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.1". This configuration is not recommended and
    VMware Tools may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
    compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.1" anyway? no yes

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
    then i tried to install vmware tools as per instructions here

http://storybridge.org/wordpress/200...vmware-fusion/

Now what I understood is that I need my kernel source code to install vmware-tools

so i did this step

Code:
    KVER=`uname -r`
    wget http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-$KVER.tar.bz2
    tar xjf linux-$KVER.tar.bz2
    cd linux-$KVER
    cp /boot/config-$KVER .config
    make oldconfig
    My kernel is 2.6.19

now everything goes fiine.. but when i come to

Code:
    make oldconfig
    it gives the following error

Code:
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:105:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:106:22: error: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:22: error: sys/mman.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:108:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:109:19: error: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:110:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:111:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:112:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.1/include/syslimits.h:7,
    from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.1/include/limits.h:11,
    from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:113:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.1/include/limits.h:122:61: error: limits.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:114:19: error: ctype.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:115:23: error: arpa/inet.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'usage':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:129: warning: implicit declaration of function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:129: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:129: error: 'stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:129: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:129: error: for each function it appears in.)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:130: warning: implicit declaration of function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:130: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'print_cmdline':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function 'printf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:138: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: At top level:
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:141: error: 'NULL' undeclared here (not in a function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'grow_config':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:154: warning: implicit declaration of function 'realloc'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:154: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:156: warning: implicit declaration of function 'perror'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:156: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'is_defined_config':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:172: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memcmp'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'define_config':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:185: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memcpy'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:185: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'use_config':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:212: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:218: warning: implicit declaration of function 'tolower'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:220: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:204: warning: unused variable 's'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:223: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'size_t'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'parse_config_file':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:225: error: 'len' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:231: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ntohl'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:242: warning: implicit declaration of function 'isalnum'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'strrcmp':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:255: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strlen'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:255: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'do_config_file':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:266: error: storage size of 'st' isn't known
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:270: warning: implicit declaration of function 'open'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:270: error: 'O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:272: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:272: error: 'stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:274: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:276: warning: implicit declaration of function 'fstat'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:278: warning: implicit declaration of function 'close'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:281: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mmap'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:281: error: 'PROT_READ' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:281: error: 'MAP_PRIVATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:281: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:288: error: too many arguments to function 'parse_config_file'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:290: warning: implicit declaration of function 'munmap'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:266: warning: unused variable 'st'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:295: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'size_t'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'parse_dep_file':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:298: error: 'len' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: error: 'PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:302: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strchr'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:302: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:304: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:304: error: 'stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:305: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:307: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:308: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:300: warning: unused variable 's'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'print_deps':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:337: error: storage size of 'st' isn't known
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:341: error: 'O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:343: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:343: error: 'stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:345: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:349: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:353: error: 'PROT_READ' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:353: error: 'MAP_PRIVATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:353: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:360: error: too many arguments to function 'parse_dep_file'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:337: warning: unused variable 'st'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'traps':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:372: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'fprintf'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:372: error: 'stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:374: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
    make[1]: *** scripts/basic/fixdep Error 1
    make: *** scripts_basic Error 2
    Still the Vmware-tools config is unable to run.. giving same error as mentioned above..

I am using latest Vmware WS downloaded today itself..

Please guide me step-by-step here how to install the tools properly and then config my video/share folders with vista

Also the commands to download any packages if necessary and then to install vmwaretools

I am new to knoppix.. so plz try to give commands as to what to do

thanks guys..

NOTE: I am SU all the time while running all these steps

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Knoppix VMWare-tools Installation Problem..

Quote Originally Posted by khandu
    I am totally new to Knoppix so please bear with me... I had to install it for some assignment...
    Did you have to install Knoppix, or just install Linux? If Knoppix that's pretty strange, since an install of Knoppix is so plagued with problems that even Klaus Knopper calls the script one that "works occasionally". Unless this is for a course in troubleshooting operating system problems, I can't imagine why an assignment would want you to install Knoppix.

its just for a small assignment and we started with knoppix for it..

can u please help with installation of vmware tools and/or kernel source required for it

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by khandu
    can u please help with installation of vmware tools and/or kernel source required for it
    I've used VMWare player, but know very little about the tools. And as a general rule I don't help install Knoppix, since I believe that's an abomination. But we have a very knowledgeable VMWare user here named "ruymbeke" and I expect that when he sees your post he may be able to help. As to sources, have you looked at the DVD version? It's my understanding that sources that were left of the CD for space reasons are on the DVD. I'm not certain of that, but have seen others say it in these forums.