Thread: Terminal Console Coloring & Some Other Comments

Terminal Console Coloring & Some Other Comments

It's pretty outdated to use VT102 or other terminal emmulation nowadays. I mean having only the 8 basic colors and intensity is pretty lame today.

My problem is that my old eyes simply cannot read blue against a black background, and though I have tried every color scheme offered, either I can't read the folder names, or I can'r read one or more of the listed file names because the colors do not contrast well enough. I would as soon do without color in this instance. But I can't find any way to change this behavior.

I also think Knoppix would get better recognition as a full Linex Distribution if it let you elect to install it to a hard drive from the get-go. Or have it as an option when the Live Distribution has finished booting up. Having to read online that you have to open a terminal console session and type in "knoppix-installer" seems unduly complicated. Further, I had to go through a number of trials before I was satisfied with the configuration choices offered. Too many variables invovled, it should all be transparent to the beginner, and modifiable for the advanced user.

Several menu choices do not work. All I get is a notice that su caused an error.

I downloaded and tried to install the 5.1.1 release on DVD. It began, but then stopped because it was looking for content on my CD drive, not on my DVD drive. The CD drive shows up first in my list of hardware.

I did not find the bzip2 compression/decompression utility installed. I had to install it separately.

Kpackage correctly attempted to install an RPM package for VMWare that I downloaded. It failed because it could not find the right folder structure. There is no DEB release yet that I know of.

Wine is apparently 0.9.12, and the desktop install program is for Wine 0.9 beta, so it complains. The desktop install process also looks for MCF 4.0 and DCOM98, which make it really old technology now. Currently, WINE is up to 0.9.47, but I haven't suceeded in getting it installed yet.

There is a web site that has Knoppix with OpenVZ included. Looks promising, but I haven't had time to play with it yet. I also read some mention of Knoppix 5.2.1, and complaints because Knoppix has not been updated in some time.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Terminal Console Coloring & Some Other Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Foxx
    I also think Knoppix would get better recognition as a full Linex Distribution if it let you elect to install it to a hard drive from the get-go. Or have it as an option when the Live Distribution has finished booting up.
    Knoppix isn't a "full Linux distro". It's a Live CD (or DVD). There are serious problems installing Knoppix. Always have been. Likely always will be, unless the developers make major changes. Although there is an"install script" it is plagued with problems and Klaus Knopper himself even has refered to this script as one that "works occasionally". If you want a Knoppix like installed distro, Install Debian (the distro that Knoppix is based on) and then you can easily install all of the applications included in Knoppix, or your selection of the applications that you want from Knoppix and select from many many more in the Debian application package system. This will be a much more stable and less problem prone system than Knoppix installed to hard disk.

Thanks harry's explain, I think I may know more.

Thanks harry's explain, I think I may know more about knoppix.

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix hd install

We are using knoppix extensively. after installing it on hard disk the command knoppix-installer never fails and the system is quite stable once installed